Podcasting- what tools, technology and support do you use

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
manyroads

Podcasting- what tools, technology and support do you use

#1 Post by manyroads »

I am beginning development & creation of a genealogy podcast series called Life in the Past Lane. My Blue Yeti mic, stand (arm), and screen are on their way; arriving next week sometime. I am planning on using anchor.fm (see http://anchor.fm/manyroads ) as my podcast recording and hosting platform- it's free and I'm independently poor. :lipsrsealed:. I, also, plan to make my podcasts available on my ManyRoads Wordpress website; I have a tentative, draft page here ( http://www.many-roads.com/manyroads-genealogy-podcasts/ )

As a person who likes to learn from others, what tips and pointers (lessons-learned) have you experienced that you are willing to share... :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

Re: Podcasting- what tools, technology and support do you use

#2 Post by manyroads »

Not that there appears to be much, if any, interest but.. :bagoverhead:

Here are my first podcasts. https://anchor.fm/manyroads

I'm happy to share how I build these on MX if anyone is interested. But given the original 'underwhelming' response, I assume I'm in a very tiny group here. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

I have heard podcasters say they do use Audacity to edit and process the audio (hiss removal, etc.).

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

I have used (do use) Audacity quite a bit. I'm almost competent at it now. I, also, use sox and ffmpeg (for fixing and merging audio tracks). So far I have not found a wonderful way to capture voice audio on the desktop. I tried ardour as was not enamored, the same with audio-recorder :frown:
Pax vobiscum,

skidoo

#5 Post by skidoo »

websearch "obs studio audio only" and check out its inbuilt mixer, and surround sound capability and...

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

I have audacity working for recording now. My grandson (5.75 yrs) and I built a Hip-hop version of the Itsy-Bitsy-Spider today (mixed music with his lyrics). He's very happy now that he's a budding hip-hop star. :popcorn:

Edit: this week I'll begin attempting to record sessions with me in Colorado and my associate (friend) in Poland. We're trying the first attempt via Skype audio capture.
Pax vobiscum,

esbeeb

#7 Post by esbeeb »

I would say check out the YouTube channel for EposVox:
https://m.youtube.com/user/EposVox/videos
He's quite linux-friendly, but not necessarily MX Linux-friendly. He talks a lot about "prosumer"-grade recording equipment, as well as OBS.
Esbeeb
MX 21

nathan2423

#8 Post by nathan2423 »

ManyRoads are you pleased with Anchor.fm?

How do they make money? I didn't see it explicitly stated but do I gather that they play advertisements on your podcast, sort of like youtube?

Gordon Cooper

#9 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Have successfully used a headset microphone with audacity, once I had sorted out the mixer to get the right socket on the desktop. One advantage is that mouth to Mic' distance remains constant so less fiddling with audio levels is required.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

nathan2423 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:04 pm ManyRoads are you pleased with Anchor.fm?

How do they make money? I didn't see it explicitly stated but do I gather that they play advertisements on your podcast, sort of like youtube?
The Anchor.fm money making approach is detailed here: https://www.imore.com/anchor-everything-you-need-know

Thanks in large part to anchor.fm my podcasts run on a bunch of platforms including iTunes, Google Play, Overcast,
Here's a Google generated listing: http://tinyurl.com/y25ke4u6
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Community Fun”