Creating Site Specific Browsers using browser settings

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
manyroads

Creating Site Specific Browsers using browser settings

#1 Post by manyroads »

For those who would like to create their own Site Specific Browser (SSB) links (without the overhead and confusion of having to use ICE-SSB), here is a method I discovered. Because I use chromium, I believe this ought to work for Chrome & Vivaldi as well (all you need to do is replace chromium with the correct browser name). For guidance on other browsers and/or to see the gory details and options behind this, I have included the link where I found this 'tip'.

What I have done is as follows:

1. added three website lauchers to my Whiskermenu (you can add as few or many as you like). 2. I prettied the launchers up with icons and text that I wanted.
3. I placed the launchers on a 'plank' menu (see image, it's on top of the screen)
4. Et voilá (see the image for what they look like. I have one SSB open so you can view what an SSB looks like when running.)
SSB Image.jpg
For other browser approaches please see this article/ post:
https://superuser.com/questions/459775/ ... ddress-bar

Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Richard

Re: Creating Site Specific Browsers using browser settings

#2 Post by Richard »

That's interesting.
Maybe I won't have to keep Linguee pinned.
I'll give it a try. The old ICE-SSB had some bothersome behaviors. Maybe because of Firefox.
Currently using Slimjet based on Chromium.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

@Richard, I am using the approach extensively on the MX18 Children's Desktop I'm building to access specific Youtube sites like PBS Kids, Nat Geo, etc.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Richard

#4 Post by Richard »

I tried it and it works.
Opens the page in the browser, then close the page or not when finished.

That is interesting --creating links to specific content.
Sounds like a good learning approach.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

@Richard it is more secure as well (not that it can't be 'broken'...);and, it almost makes the web function like an app. I have just created one to Google Docs placed a link on my desktop Plank Panel, now I no longer need to have LibreOffice installed. I can access all my Office documents directly using Google resources for the processing and my PC for their storage. For many applications (including those that don't run natively on Linux) can be run seamlessly and directly from the desktop. On another note, I should have the Children's Desktop ready for review, testing, breaking, comments, or whatever before Friday. I would love your critique.
Pax vobiscum,

Richard

#6 Post by Richard »

Sure, post a link.
My experience was less internet oriented due to focus on pre-school kids, in that everything was local.
Building the links to the desired sites and incorporating them into the menu is a nice touch.

Return to “Community Fun”