Duck,duck,go

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
manyroads

Re: Duck,duck,go

#11 Post by manyroads »

Amazon (CIA partner)
Wow... I did not know the CIA had 'partners'. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Leo

#12 Post by Leo »

I use Chrome, Eadwine... :confused2:

:rock:
There are exceptions to every rule...
and I know I'm mighty exceptional... :lion2:
:linuxlove:
Linux user #415188

Dell Inspiron 3541, AMD A6-6310 quad-core, Radeon R4 graphics, 8GB RAM, MX-19.4, Phillips 32" HDTV monitor

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

I use chromium (even though I wish they had a more colorful icon). :lipsrsealed:

As for a search engine, I use Google most frequently (dum...dum...dum..) :eek: The results it provides are superior to all the others I have tried... I search for a lot of "needles in haystacks" and I need to use multiple languages (when google fails to turn up information, I go to national search platforms/tools when searching in German and Russian).

I figure most of the marketing geniuses who would use/steal my search data would find very little useful. When I worry about 'safety', there is always Tor
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

Google Chrome and Google search. Tried Chromium but had issues with it regarding my favorite extension, Checker Plus for Gmail.
Locked down a number of things on their Privacy page such as location services. I would guess many do not know they have the ability to do that.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#15 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Leo wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 am I use Chrome, Eadwine... :confused2:

So do I ;) Been doing so for YEARS.

MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Gerson

#16 Post by Gerson »

Since the Brave browser came out I used it alternately and now I have left it as the default in my MX 18 and as a search engine I left Qwant. I get two things, more browsing speed and no crawling in my searches. It is in Github in stable and development.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Redacted

#17 Post by Redacted »

manyroads wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:18 am I use Google most frequently (dum...dum...dum..) :eek: The results it provides are superior to all the others I have tried..
I have tried and tried to use DDG, but the results are nothing compared to Google - especially with computer questions.
Many times I've entered the same search string into both to compare, and Google is better by far.
The same goes to a lesser extent with Startpage, even though they're supposed to supply Google results. I do not get the same results as in Google - again, mainly with computer questions. Who knows why? :confused:

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

@redacted I have tested and noticed the same especially with respect to genealogical, cartographic, historical and other 'old/ historic' published materials
Pax vobiscum,

paul1149

#19 Post by paul1149 »

I use https://searx.me/?q=%s. I like the extra things DDG does for the user experience, but the actual search results remain lacking. Searx.me is a meta engine, and you can include dozens of base engines in the search, including google. Results are excellent, as is speed, and hits are dated when possible. The basic interface isn't great so I use a style sheet to make it more readable.

For images I usually use Yandex. Results are excellent (except on parochial US searches, since yandex is Russian), and I can hover-zoom them using the Imagus extension. I do NOT have a yandex account though, because I don't trust them. For US image searches I use DDG.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

zorzi

#20 Post by zorzi »

Well, I don't think other search engines are so bad that we cannot free ourselves from Google.

I mainly use Qwant, DuckDuckGo and Searx. Even if I removed Google from my browsers, sadness is I can't help myself to check sometimes on Google some unsuccessful searches...

But I try to avoid Google as often as possible.

Return to “Community Fun”