The Good/Bad Old Days

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
timkb4cq
Developer

Re: The Good/Bad Old Days

#21 Post by timkb4cq »

Very early in the programs I typed out in that way on my ZX-81 & later on the C=64, were disassembler programs so a) I could see why the other programs weren't running & b) Modify some software to support my printer.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Jules

#22 Post by Jules »

In the late 70s I worked on a Compupro. Z80 cpu, and 64 k of ram!!! Running CP/M 2.2. Software I used: dBase II, Supercalc, and Wordstar. Those were the days. Still get nightmares about: Bdos Error on A: The "famous" error code.... Did some Mbasic an later on tried Turbo pascal. But then MicroSoft killed CP/M. Bought myselfs a ZX80 later.
at the office they went to PC/MSDos. Took me about 3 years before I had a PC compatible(El Cheapo) at home. Started with Windows 2.03 till Windows 10. Got rid of it somewhere in october last year. So here I am. Good old days.... :-)
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard disk???

mx-2018

#23 Post by mx-2018 »

I was 16 in the late 80's when I first had the chance to use a PC. They were IBM PC/XT compatibles. PCs had either 512 K or 640 K memory, and hard drives were not common (30 MB were the typical capacities). We did use 720 KB diskettes (floppies). I remember trying to collect all versions of DOS and managed to get copies of versions 2.x, 3.3 (most common), 4.01, 5.x, 6.x. Remember Wordstar 4? How about Lotus 123?

I taught myself to write programs using Turbo Pascal 4. The Turbo Pascal IDE was so easy to use (there's built-in debug/trace/watch) and compiles in a matter of seconds, making learning enjoyable. I concentrated on learning XBASE language, because I thought that was the future (it was until M$ embraced-extended-extinguished it).

I also learned some assembly commands by playing with the DEBUG command in DOS. CDh 20h was the command to terminate a *.COM program. The JMP assembly command is similar to the GOTO command in BASIC. I remember getting myself in trouble, because I messed up a hard drive after playing with the INT 13h command on a production machine.
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

Artim

#24 Post by Artim »

Floppy?

Return to “Community Fun”