Big mistake, big, huge, started Windows

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
Stevo
Developer

Re: Big mistake, big, huge, started Windows

#21 Post by Stevo »

linux-laptop-comparison-meme.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian
Developer

#22 Post by Adrian »

Well, it's not true for Macs anymore the updates I think are free.

KBD

#23 Post by KBD »

A quick, sort of related question for you guys: Fedora now requires restarts to update the OS. Is that a systemd thing that will worm its way into all of Linux? or is it just a Fedora/Redhat thing? It reminds me very much of Windows and I'm not really a fan of having to reboot for every update.

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

It's more of a GNOME 3 thing--that's what you'll get with Debian Stretch if you just install the default desktop, too.

KBD

#25 Post by KBD »

Stevo wrote:It's more of a GNOME 3 thing--that's what you'll get with Debian Stretch if you just install the default desktop, too.
Why doesn't that surprise me--Gnome :( They keep finding new ways to make you hate it.

asqwerth
Developer

#26 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote:It's more of a GNOME 3 thing--that's what you'll get with Debian Stretch if you just install the default desktop, too.
To be more accurate, it's not really a Gnome 3 thing, as in it's not something you HAVE to use to update software just because you're using Gnome 3 desktop. But it's a "feature" of Gnome Software, the allegedly distro agnostic GUI package manager that is one of the components you get if you choose to install the Gnome 3 desktop environment.

It's a very annoying dependency, because seriously, who uses it?

Just use the standard package management tools that are normally used with the distro of your choice. For instance, if you're using Gnome3 in Debian, just use apt and Synaptic.

I have the Fedora-based Korora with Gnome, and updates are just done with DNF (cli commands) and dnfdragora (GUI). When I first installed it and didn't know better (didn't realise Software was Gnome's and not Fedora's program), I tried to update with it and found that all the program did was to download packages. You would then have to reboot into Fedora so that it could begin the installation of the packages in run level 3 (text mode).

Anyway, I soon learnt to ignore it. It was either CLI or the then-graphical package manager YUM-extender.

Fedora itself with its links to Red Hat and Gnome project of course has to support Gnome and its development, but even they acknowledge dnfdragora as the current "alternative graphical package manager" in Fedora, implying that previously yumex was similarly recognised.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ ... dnfdragora

I also have an older OpenSUSE install with Gnome 3 + MATE, an experiment to see if I like OpenSUSE (conclusion: not really, and it's gonna go soon) and because I'd installed MATE, the GUI PackageKit was also installed. So I could update with CLI, the huge GUI multipurpose YAST tool, or PackageKit. I don't even recall if Gnome Software came with the install.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KBD

#27 Post by KBD »

I quit using dnfdragora because during one upgrade to the next release it got in my way and stopped the upgrade in Fedora. I liked it though because it reminded me of synaptic. In Gnome as soon as you boot up the messaging center pops up nagging you to install updates and that you need to restart your computer--and you just started your computer! It's a PITA and makes me worry that Redhat is too much hook-line-and-sinker into Gnome. Every time I want to like Gnome something new comes along making me hate it, but it is The DE for default Fedora and many people just go with it.

Return to “Community Fun”