The results of Spectre and Meltdown

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
Mauser

The results of Spectre and Meltdown

#1 Post by Mauser »

This is what happens to an un-patched computer from this vulnerability. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxBMzSuk4g
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Stevo
Developer

Re: The results of Spectre and Meltdown

#2 Post by Stevo »

Skip to 2:40 for the good parts.

Mauser

#3 Post by Mauser »

Stevo wrote:Skip to 2:40 for the good parts.
If you really want to laugh look at his previous video and the comments on both. LOL Here is the previous video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ahc7qocGk&t=42s
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

fanisatt

#4 Post by fanisatt »

So...me as an MX-17 user , I have to install an other kernel than 4.13 !
I read here that there is an other kernel I could install with MX-Packageinstaller and I installed the MX-4.14 kernel.
"uname -r" gives 4.14.0-3-amd64 but I can see in the article that there is currently a patched 4.14.12 kernel...!
Is this 4.14.0-3 kernel I could see and installed with MX-Packageinstaller patched or not and if not where is the patched one ????
I think that there must be an official kernel update for any user ...
Perhaps there are simple users they don't have the time to read articles here !
Best regards !

Mauser

#5 Post by Mauser »

Yes, this is the patched kernel. 4.14.0-12.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 You can find it in the MX Package Installer listed as MX 4.14 kernel.

fanisatt

#6 Post by fanisatt »

@ Mauser
Thank you very much for your response !

Mauser

#7 Post by Mauser »

@fanisatt Your welcome.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

No, no, no, the 4.14.0-3 kernel is really a backported Debian 4.14.-12 kernel, and we are getting the stretch-backports 4.14.13 kernel into our own test repository right now, as I talk Mike through the build. We'll have to debate if that should go into our testing or main repo.

Debian and Liquorix both use an odd double naming system for the kernels for technical reasons. Use the

Code: Select all

uname -a
command to get both names for the running kernel. For example, the current Liquorix kernel shows

Code: Select all

Linux mx1 4.14.0-14.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT liquorix 4.14-18~mx17+1 (2018-01-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux
You can install a kernel metapackage for either our Debian or Liqourix kernels that will automatically pull any new version of those if you have the correct repository enabled. Maybe we can add those to the MX PI with appropriate warnings.

anticapitalista
Developer

#9 Post by anticapitalista »

Glad he didn't like antiX-17!
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Mauser

#10 Post by Mauser »

Canceled post.

Return to “Community Fun”