Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Net Neutrality rumor

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
namida12

Net Neutrality rumor

#1 Post by namida12 »

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Net Neutrality rumor

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

I can't really comment further without violating the ban on politics, but let's be clear. The repeal of "net neutrality" just restored the rules to what they were in 2015 and reduced the possibility of governmental interference with the internet. For 20 years techies warned government to keep their hands off the internet to allow it to innovate. I still think that's good advice.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

Without getting into politics I think you make a small confusion here, there's a difference between "hands off the internet" and "hands off the monopolistic ISPs that don't really innovate anything but tend to block and filter things like bittorrents (already happened), voice chat (happened) and slow down competitor streams and call that 'innovation' " If you had a choice of ISPs like in other countries all of these would not matter, but in most of the parts of the US people don't have a choice or at most they can choose between a cable company and Verizon. I agree with "hands off the internet", I don't agree with "hand off the monopolistic ISPs".

I also think about 80% of Americans agree with me... it's not even a partisan political discussion.
Last edited by Adrian on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

And all that activity you cite was shut down under the rules already in place *before* "net neutrality" was put in place. Increased regulation was not necessary to do so.
And the net effect of increased regulation on an industry is nearly always to entrench the existing big players and discourage innovation.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

And all that activity you cite was shut down under the rules already in place *before* "net neutrality" was put in place. Increased regulation was not necessary to do so.
Actually no, Comcast won in court the right to throttle https://www.networkworld.com/article/22 ... ision.html

tascoast

#6 Post by tascoast »

In Oz Fibre to the node (FTN) or wireless broadband is the latest rollout over existing copper/ADSL networks* (*until recent decades, singly government owned and run). Without the commercial history or networks in N America where cable tv took off, simple net speed is a contemporary local focus. Ahem.....I can see some infrastructure differences that might have some bearing, but the matter of net neutrality is typically reported as a vague 'American problem' of sorts here ), whatever the practical impact. For impact, I would expect streaming and gaming/VR services to be most exposed to preferential bandwith locking in big media domination?
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

uncle mark

#7 Post by uncle mark »

Nothing to hope for. Nothing will happen. The only news is that the proponents of net neutrality will now have those who support the current FCC policy on record.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Return to “Community Fun”