Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Warning! You're being hacked by a Linux user!!

Here you can just talk about MEPIS or post interesting topics about what you have done in MEPIS that you want to share with others.
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Warning! You're being hacked by a Linux user!!

#1 Postby joany » Sun May 29, 2016 6:42 pm

When enrolling in various Internet sites that require providing an email address, I always use a "disposable" email account so my personal email account doesn't get clogged up with spam. I recently set up a new gmail account for that purpose, but Google keeps sending me warning messages that "someone" has logged into my account using Linux. They say they do this out of deep concern for my security, although the "someone using Linux" who is logging into my account happens to be me. Why does Google automatically assume that anyone using Linux must be up to no good and thus feel obligated to send out these warnings whenever Linux is detected? :rolleyes:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Warning! You're being hacked by a Linux user!!

#2 Postby DBeckett » Sun May 29, 2016 6:48 pm

We know who you are. :smile:
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby zeeone » Sun May 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Junk mail, is junk mail. :popcorn:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Adrian » Sun May 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Why does Google automatically assume that anyone using Linux must be up to no good and thus feel obligated to send out these warnings whenever Linux is detected?

I get the warning when I log in from a Windows machine, it's not that Linux is suspicious, you get this kind of warning anytime you log in in a suspicious manner (different machine that you never used, from a different location). I personally appreciate this level of protection.

richb
Administrator

#5 Postby richb » Sun May 29, 2016 8:04 pm

I agree, better for a small nag and receive some protection. Where available, and gmail has it available, two factor verification, is another thing I use.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

chippy52
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby chippy52 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:22 pm

I get this warning also. The reason It happens is because I set mine up on a mobile unit while on holiday. So when I check it on my PC it sends the warning. I think it can be changed in your gmail settings.
MX15-x64_KDE_added_June_2016
Intel i5 2400, Asus P8H67-M-EVO, G-Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1333, nVidia GeForce GT430, Seagate 500GB sata3 HDD

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby Adrian » Sun May 29, 2016 8:23 pm

richb wrote:I agree, better for a small nag and receive some protection. Where available, and gmail has it available, two factor verification, is another thing I use.

Yep, I have that enabled too, email security is very important, many sites (even banks) send recovery links to your email, if the email account is compromised then you have all the rest of your accounts compromised.

richb
Administrator

#8 Postby richb » Sun May 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Adrian wrote:
richb wrote:I agree, better for a small nag and receive some protection. Where available, and gmail has it available, two factor verification, is another thing I use.

Yep, I have that enabled too, email security is very important, many sites (even banks) send recovery links to your email, if the email account is compromised then you have all the rest of your accounts compromised.
I complain at how difficult it is to change my password for my brokerage and banking account. They do not send email notifications, but take you to a verification screen when you login requiring 3 or 4 pieces of personal information. They also require you change your password at regular intervals.While I complain, I recognize that it is another effort at securing your account and for that I should be grateful.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Postby m_pav » Sun May 29, 2016 11:17 pm

The best response I can muster is to simply second Adrians advice to use 2 factor authentication. I use the Google Authenticator on my phone as my 2nd level of authentication, and I keep a printed list at home with the 10 backup codes in case they're ever needed. Using the 2 level authentication can be a pain but it is well worth it in the long run.

If my mobile goes missing, I can call my provider to have its IMEI number blacklisted and I believe the IMEI blacklisting is shared amongst providers for absolute safety, however, this will not stop it from being used on a wireless network. They can reverse a blacklisting if the phone is returned, however, as my phone is my secondary authentication device, if it gets compromised, then my whole email and all accounts are compromised along with it, which is why I have the printed authentication copies and I never let the number of them go lower than 4 remaining. I can log in from a safe machine using one of the codes, de-authenticate the phone and reset my password to take control back of my account. When I connect a new device, my email will be notified, but I should be able to act fast enough to have it disabled before they can do more damage, well that's the plan anyway.

I believe the message is more like this one I received after I reloaded my phone using a custom ROM
Screenshot-11.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX16 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX16 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX16

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Postby asqwerth » Mon May 30, 2016 12:54 am

I get this all the time whenever I install a new distro on my system and then log in to my gmail account, which does have 2FA enabled.

In fact, even if you install a different browser on the same distro (e.g. you were using Firefox and then decided to install Chrome), you'll get the same message when you use the new browser to access gmail for the first time, even if the original browser has already been "cleared" by Google with the 2FA pin number and the warning email.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Community Fun”