-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Moral code for self-driving cars [Solved]

Here you can just talk about MEPIS or post interesting topics about what you have done in MEPIS that you want to share with others.
tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Moral code for self-driving cars [Solved]

#1 Post by tascoast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:11 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-04/r ... rs/6910606

While we await MX-15 (The line outside the MX Torrent Store grows ever longer as expectant fans wrap themselves in virtual blankets, marking out their place in the queue, but the mood is cheerful....) the link above offers some potential diversions.
Last edited by tascoast on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Moral code for self-driving cars

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 am

Perhaps test them on the Stuart Highway, south of Tennant Creek. Not too many pedestrians to hit there, except the Roos?
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by lucky9 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:09 am

I have a friend that hopes self-driving cars get here before he gets too old to drive safely.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Pierre

#4 Post by Pierre » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:44 am

Gordon Cooper wrote:Perhaps test them on the Stuart Highway, south of Tennant Creek. Not too many pedestrians to hit there, except the Roos?
Volvo tests technology to prevent kangaroo collisions:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-te ... klctf.html
:crossfingers: The human cost of serious injuries and fatalities from animal collisions is incalculable.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by tascoast » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:47 am

Perhaps test them on the Stuart Highway, south of Tennant Creek. Not too many pedestrians to hit there, except the Roos?

They once had an open speed limit up there but sadly, it's now regulated. Some years back I went Tennant Creek - Townsville, following a visit to Alice Springs. The last leg was the best part of three days of driving I think, on my own. I did recall seeing cattle and horses on the roads, particularly up the highway to Alice, making night driving pretty interesting.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by eugen-b » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 am

This marketing talk about robot moral is an attempt to avoid controls and compliance. There is only one moral in business - make it costly to break the rules.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by tascoast » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:13 am

Self-regulation seems to have followed free-market activity in places like the US and Australia, mining, big developments.....which reminds me of mining trucks that are sometimes operating autonomously now.

The moral dilemmas that will emerge, that we attempt to program hardware to somehow anticipate, seem to be getting ever more complex once autonomous vehicles become common on our residential streets though. The old train track switch ethical dilemma scenario becomes ever more complex on our streets.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by eugen-b » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 am

What I mean is not to make the mistake to make the producer less responsible, because a robot is somewhat autonomous.
How to make a robot operate safely is another story for me. There some paralells to ethics, but I think what they would call robot ethics is a metaphor for ethics. Not because I'm asuming free will, but because I want to stress programmability.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by tascoast » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:18 pm

eugen-b wrote:What I mean is not to make the mistake to make the producer less responsible, because a robot is somewhat autonomous.
How to make a robot operate safely is another story for me. There some paralells to ethics, but I think what they would call robot ethics is a metaphor for ethics. Not because I'm asuming free will, but because I want to stress programmability.
I think you are right in focusing upon the human decisions and choices guiding the automation, since the headline was potentially misleading I suspect, as is often the case in news. Somewhat related, I watched Ex Machina the other day, based loosely around the idea of a Turing test, and some more involved scenarios around artificial intelligence. No further spoilers though....

I agree with Pierre wholeheartedly though, that apart from the heavy toll on wildlife, outback road trains leaving a gruesome trail of kangaroo parts and blood on the road in some regions that can become commonplace to the frequent traveller or local. The risk to smaller vehicles and occupants is significant. Even in the southern states, things like wombats lurk on foggy nights. I sit on around 80km/h at dusk and only until the next roadhouse in the really remote parts to stop the night.

Edit...but to clarify, hitting a wombat is like suddenly hitting a small boulder or driving over a log. Wallabies, well the two I've hit came out of nowhere so to speak, bounding accross a road at night and again one morning. The night-time strike was somewhat startling, in lightly wooded dairy/grazing land. Luckily, I've never hit anything really large like a desert red kangaroo, another magnitude of beast altogether, capable of disembowelling with their hind legs.
]
Oh, and I regularly dodge possums here at night, brushtails, although the Kiwis might question my logic, .....understandably.

Upon reflection, we probably need collision avoidance systems here more than autonomous vehicles in many places.

....camel numbers are down thankfully.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_feral_camel
Last edited by tascoast on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by eugen-b » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Ok, now read the article. It is about moral of the buyers of autonomous vehicles. This could be solves by letting the buyer choose between two modes of operation - selfish and altruistic.
Electric vehicles are also very quiet and therefore even more dangerous for wildlife and pedestrians. Fake motor sound doesn't work well yet.
Maybe an ultrasonic loudspeaker could be a solution for animals.
Last edited by eugen-b on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Fun”