Are you a cook?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
jackdanielsesq

Re: Are you a cook?

#21 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Home-made cheese is definitely not your everyday event ... especially with home-made pizza
Gave home-made beer a real go once - wrecked the basement of my mountain house
Bravo for all your superb effort

Jack
scottr954 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 am
I've got homemade pizza on tap for tomorrow with the cheese I made yesterday. I have to get my homemade pizza fix on once or twice a week. :)

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#22 Post by JayM »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:18 am Home-made cheese is definitely not your everyday event ... especially with home-made pizza

Jack
I've got homemade pizza on tap for tomorrow with the cheese I made yesterday. I have to get my homemade pizza fix on once or twice a week. :)
(Now I'm craving pizza.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

scottr954

#23 Post by scottr954 »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:18 am Home-made cheese is definitely not your everyday event ... especially with home-made pizza

Jack
Hi Jack! Ya know I've been trying to perfect pizza (dough & sauce recipes) for a few years now. Although I *like* my pizzas, and others do as well, I've yet to produce my 'perfect' pizza. What's amazing is, as you know, there's so few ingredients. But amazingly it's no easy task to create the perfect pizza.

My very latest is the two ingredient dough: self rising flour and plain greek yogurt. I actually was quite good! If you haven't tried that one, please do. As far as quantities of each of the two ingredients, I'd say use enough of them to create something that "kneadable/", but a tad on the moist side. Just mix, rest 30 min, knead, rest 30 min, make pizza. :)

scottr954

#24 Post by scottr954 »

JayM wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:11 am

Jack
(Now I'm craving pizza.)
Hi Jay! Haha funny how that works! :)

Gordon Cooper

#25 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Have made good bread and very good pasta with Spelt. Not tried it for pizza yet, but willdo soon.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

scottr954

#26 Post by scottr954 »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 pm Have made good bread and very good pasta with Spelt. Not tried it for pizza yet, but willdo soon.
Interesting, definitely report back with the verdict!

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#27 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Fried up some left over enchiladas with eggs and cheese . Broke out the leftover bag of 7 up biscuits and apricot jellied em. Chocolate milk and hot tea on the side.

Breakfast is served.

Cristobal

#28 Post by Cristobal »

A bit of context
Not a cook here, but I like to cook, especially since I've been in the UK (humour). As a French, it's kind of a part of my culture, although I'm rather into cheese than wine (moderately, one glass of good wine on special occasions). Unfortunately, quality cheese, wine or charcuterie (French broad term to designate specialty sausage so to speak, from ham to sausages, and pâté)

Since the processed food is so so in England, my latest attempts were to try to cook some beef Madras (although it's not really an Indian dish and it's supposed to have been created in Glasgow in the 60s or 70s). What is formidable in the UK (especially in London), is that almost every food from all around the world is available in supermarkets. The choice of spices is so vast.

My specialty is the caramelised pork belly, which was the dish my Asian (Chinese-Cambodian) Grandmother used to cook for me as a child, but I also had an Italian Grandfather, so the Carbonara spaghetti or linguini is also one of my favourites (guanciale is harder to get by so I use pancetta). Both dishes are indeed very easy to make. I did try some mac and cheese too, rather easy once you mastered the Bechamel sauce part. Chicken fricassée is also my go to dish, with quiche lorraine.

I bake too, with ups and downs. Biggest failure: macarons, never managed to bake correct ones ... Usual successes: Strawberry cake (fraisier in French) or Far breton (some kind of very dense and filling flan from Brittany).

Currently, I'm toying with spices (mainly cumin, mild Madras curry and 5 spices powder) and have been cooking for a week Chicken curry (I find it tastier when marinated in advance in curry powder with chopped green onions), with some onions and coconut milk (and a wee bit of crème fraîche, unorthodox, but that's the French touch), accompanied with Basmati or Jasmine rice.

Next project, baking my own bred, without kneading, in a covered cast iron pan in oven, T65 flour, salt and fresh baker yeast (don't know the exact English term).
Distro: MX-19.4_x64 Kernel: 4.19.0-21-amd64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X200s: CPU: Intel Core2 Duo L9400 Graphics: Intel GM45 Audio: Intel 82801I

Adrian
Developer

#29 Post by Adrian »

Definitely not a cook, was able at most to boil an egg and pasta, but I've subscribed to a couple of meal kit services for a while and was able to learn some basic cooking (also like that I get exactly what I need without having to go grocery shopping), actually with good instruction I feel like I cook pretty much everything now. Now I have some favorite meals that I cook for myself.

I highly recommend using a meal kit service if available in your location: https://www.self.com/story/the-12-best- ... -smoothies

scottr954

#30 Post by scottr954 »

rokytnji.1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:40 am Fried up some left over enchiladas with eggs and cheese . Broke out the leftover bag of 7 up biscuits and apricot jellied em. Chocolate milk and hot tea on the side.

Breakfast is served.
Nice!! Did you make the 7-up biscuits? Share the recipe?

Return to “Community Fun”