-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MEPIS 12 Community Repository: The Thunderbird Thread

News about updates on package status for CR packages compiled for MEPIS 12.0
BunyipMate
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MEPIS 12 Community Repository: The Thunderbird Thread

#11 Post by BunyipMate » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07 am

Hi Stevo,

Just a "heads up". A fresh install of Mepis 12 (64) using a clean root partition along with the existing Home (M11) partition has left me with a bit of a problem. I installed Thunderbird 24.3.0 from the test repo. Installed and working OK. It did not bring my old profile over so I have lost old emails and my address book. All is not lost I have an off site backup but... it is 10,000miles away so there will be a bit of a delay until I am able to retrieve it.

If I am the only unlucky one it will be my fault for not taking a fresh backup of the Home partition before upgrading. If the fault is repeatable you might like to look into a fix or posting a warning. to protect others from my stupidity. :hitmyhead:
[img]file:///home/Peter/Desktop/Avitars/456575.png[/img]

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by Gaer Boy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:51 am

It's unlikely that Thunderbird has deleted your old profile. Have a look in ~/.thunderbird - you will probably see more than one profile file. The names are [8 random characters].default. The default profile created by your new installation will be there and you should be able to identify your old profile.

Close Thunderbird, open profiles.ini and edit the filename in the Path line. Restart Thunderbird.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by lucky9 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:03 pm

It is recommended that if you reuse /home from a previous version, in this case Mepis 11, to install Mepis 12, then you should make a new User in that /home. Then you can move what you need over from the old User's files to the new User's file system.

It is not recommended to reuse an old /home at all. The above can still cause plenty of problems. A totally fresh install after a backup of /home is the only recommended way of installing a different version.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 pm

Now you tell me--after I successfully did it from M11 to M12. But I had already updated from KDE 4.5.3 to 4.7.4, so not much changed. Plus with all the backports, many of the applications were the same version as already in Wheezy.

BunyipMate
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Post by BunyipMate » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:08 am

Hi Lucky 9,

Stevo and I are not going to be the only ones to retain 'Home' when upgrading. In case you had not noticed Warren has provided the option in the install wizard since since... oh about Simply Mepis 3. I have used it many times. This is the first time I have encountered a problem. Perhaps you would like to explain to Warren the error of his ways.

Hi Gaer Boy,

Unfortunately the old ~/.thunderbird directory was overwritten (deleting several old profile files). I have since retrieved an address book from a backup that is a few months old so I am not too inconvenienced by my mistake.

Hi Stevo,

Could this be a Mozzilla Thunderbird 'upgrade' bug?
[img]file:///home/Peter/Desktop/Avitars/456575.png[/img]

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by Gaer Boy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:06 am

BunyipMate wrote: Hi Gaer Boy,

Unfortunately the old ~/.thunderbird directory was overwritten (deleting several old profile files). I have since retrieved an address book from a backup that is a few months old so I am not too inconvenienced by my mistake.

Hi Stevo,

Could this be a Mozzilla Thunderbird 'upgrade' bug?
That's certainly unusual. I've been using Thunderbird on Windows & Linux since 2005, when I imported my mail and address book from Eudora. I am still using the same profile folder with emails dating back to 2003, although it's getting a bit cumbersome and I intend to streamline it. I keep the actual profile (along with all my other data) on a separate partition, but I don't recall the profile.ini file in ~/.thunderbird ever being overwritten by a new version of Thunderbird.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by lucky9 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm

BunyipMate wrote:Hi Lucky 9,

Stevo and I are not going to be the only ones to retain 'Home' when upgrading. In case you had not noticed Warren has provided the option in the install wizard since since... oh about Simply Mepis 3. I have used it many times. This is the first time I have encountered a problem. Perhaps you would like to explain to Warren the error of his ways.
The save /home option is for reinstalling the same version. It is a great way for someone new to Linux to recover from a disaster. This was Warren's intent when he gave us this option.
This forum has many, many threads where someone tried to upgrade to a later version and save /home. It usually leads to a total reinstall. The way I mentioned, using a new User while saving /home is the only recommended way of using the feature when installing a newer version of Mepis. Then transferring the data from the old User to the new User.
I believe the Manual says it here:
Page 2b (Preferences): Check “Preserve data in /home” if you are doing an upgrade and already have data in an existing home partition; note that this option is not recommended.
My emphasis above. It is not recommended as the different versions are usually not completely compatible. There are usually several things that have to be manually 'tweaked' to work correctly. It can be done depending on familiarity with debian Linux. So, congratulations on making a successful upgrade. It's not usually an easy thing to do.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by Eadwine Rose » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 pm

I simply backup the entire hidden folder in my /home/username directory of (in my case) icedove.

Next install, I start icedove, close it again, and then replace the newly created folder with the one from my backups. Works like a charm here :smile:

Back when I was using TB I did the same thing. In fact! I took a try once and renamed TB to icedove when I transitioned. EVERYTHING was taken along, no errors, nothing.

I was stunned, but very happy indeed :happy:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:48 am

Thunderbird in the test CR updated to the latest Mozilla builds, 24.4.0.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Post by Stevo » Thu May 01, 2014 10:27 am

Thunderbird in test CR updated to 24.5. Since this is an ESR, no crazy UI changes are included, just security fixes.

Return to “Package Status - 12.0 Beta”