-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2-32.iso

loco
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2-32.iso

#11 Post by loco » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 am

uncle mark wrote:
richb wrote:Unfortunately I have been unable after several tries to get a full download to try this. I will have to try another downloader.
Did you try Saist's link? That worked for me.
.:thumbup:

best download ever... like 3.3 Ms... :biggrin:

thanks guys :thumbup:

couldn't help but notice that i needed to be logged in once in awhile... ;-) and that it's testing based... hmm... didn't think that zevonos (highly recommend) has a 64bit yet, meh...

ps great idea! you guys rock!

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by Danum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 pm

A little info about this install, the live DVD defaults to the KDE default desktop, the desktop that Mepis uses is not the default KDE one.
Installing, because the system uses sudo the default install icon has been removed, so as not to raise an confusion,
the partition editor can be started as root from Konsole, as can the installer,
The "how to" is in home. which is accessed by clicking on the Dolphin icon in the panel,
In my first post I stated that the system segfaults when I attempted to upgrade in chroot, but installs with no problems using synaptic,
the long and short of this is, KDE in chroot expects kde-config files for KDE 4.8, not the ones Mepis 11.0 uses, from 2008/2009,
The Default Mepis Desktop, (Desktop Icons) is accessed by clicking on the Activity icon in the panel, and selecting Desktop Icons.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 pm

I finally got it with kget. Average about 250 kb/s, but it did complete.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

penzioner
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Post by penzioner » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Great job as usual John, don't want to seem greedy or anything, but is there a chance for 64-bit version of Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2 soon?
Last edited by penzioner on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by muskt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm

After reading the replies, it does seem that I am in the minority (translated to FUBAR-ME). I have used the same system for the first Roadblock 32, & the Roadblock 64 with essentially none of the recent problems. Could be a bad burn--grasping here. I have also done an install from a USB stick, & will attempt that possibly this evening after getting home from work.

Thanks for the patience.

Jerry in Anchorage

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by Danum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:16 pm

penzioner wrote:Great job as usual John, don't want to seem greedy or anything, but is there a chance for 64-bit version of Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2 soon?
I was talking about this with Steve (KrispyKritter), a few nights ago, If I were to do a 64bit I can tell you now it would default to using Grub2,
which would mean a completely new installer, the biggest problem now in this release is using the Mepis installer which dates back to KDE3, So my answer would be, more than likely, but everything evolves around a new installer and how long it takes to get it working satisfactory, the building a new disk is not a problem, note "new", that is not a remaster of Mepis but a completely new disk built from scratch that uses the current KDE configs and will that update when an updated KDE version is installed.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:45 pm

You might want to wait until Warren has built his new installer, since he has committed to Grub2 and is supposed to be working on it. Of course, that wait is of unsure length...
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#18 Post by Danum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:You might want to wait until Warren has built his new installer, since he has committed to Grub2 and is supposed to be working on it. Of course, that wait is of unsure length...
I already now which basis I will use, and what you will be able to set from the live DVD, which from the feed back you got from WW he is not interested in doing,
Desktop.

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by muskt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:47 am

I tried the USB drive install. Install went pretty much as prior installs. Grub failed to install (I always install to ROOT). I have had this problem several times before (with other versions of Mepis). I just bypass that step and continue. I currently dual boot with Win 7 & Mepis 11 using Easy BCD. I always have some difficulty in setting up a new Linux install. Recently, I cleaned house and went from 4 or 5 OSs to just 2. I cannot for the life of me remember how to set up the second Linux install. The install was on sdd1. I can mod the menu.lst in the M11 install, but I always get the "unable to mount" error 15 or 17. I have always used the base M11 installs menu.lst to seek my other Mepis installs, & have normally always been successful. I just wiped the disk clean using KDE part ed and reformatted to ext3. Strangely, the part ed shows the partition but Dolphin does not. I cannot understand what caused that. It shows mounted in the part ed. The part ed shows no usage of sdd1. I looked in the mnt directory, & sdd1 shows 6.xG used. Here is a snip of my menu.lst. It is not the complete file.

title MEPIS at sda1, newest kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 nomce quiet splash vga=788
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

title MEPIS at sda1, kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sda1 nomce quiet splash vga=788
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp
boot

title Windows 7 (loader) at sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

title Windows 7 (loader) at sdc2
map (hd0) (hd2)
map (hd2) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd2,1)
chainloader +1

title Roadblock TRK at sdd1, newest kernel
root (hd3,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdd1 nomce quiet splash vga=788
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

I guess that I have done something really dumb.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry in Anchorage

OOPPPS--I just rebooted and the sdd1 now shows in Dolphin & the disk usage is very low--I believe it is time for pillow tracks in Alaska. g'nite all.

penzioner
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Post by penzioner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 am

Danum wrote:
penzioner wrote:Great job as usual John, don't want to seem greedy or anything, but is there a chance for 64-bit version of Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2 soon?
I was talking about this with Steve (KrispyKritter), a few nights ago, If I were to do a 64bit I can tell you now it would default to using Grub2,
which would mean a completely new installer, the biggest problem now in this release is using the Mepis installer which dates back to KDE3, So my answer would be, more than likely, but everything evolves around a new installer and how long it takes to get it working satisfactory, the building a new disk is not a problem, note "new", that is not a remaster of Mepis but a completely new disk built from scratch that uses the current KDE configs and will that update when an updated KDE version is installed.
Thanks for taking the time to answer, take your time there is no hurry, as far as Grub2 goes I guess it's time to take the plunge anyway.

Return to “Community Submissions”