-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2-32.iso

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2-32.iso

#1 Post by Danum » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2-32.iso (isohybrid)

Md5Sum:- c1296a106dc78319d270d54d4ae9e7aa

Download Link,
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64641328/Mepis- ... RK2-32.iso

Built using KDE 4:4.8.1
Thanks go to, ZevonOS, acritix, Kubuntu, and Kanotix.

Please read the Read Me in the Home folder, on how to install, and upgrade so it is fully up to date, which you will have to do to get a fully usable system,
This is due to the fact that fully upgrading the system from squeeze to wheezy in chroot has proved to be inconsistent (segfaults), where as it upgrades using synaptic with no problems,
The system when brought up to date defaults to using sudo, a workaround is included to use the root password,
The default repo is Wheezy, so use apps from there,
Apps removed, Luckybackup and Kdenlive, gdebi is replaced by qapt-package-installer,
when installed it defaults to using linux-image 3.2.0-2-686-pae.

Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

KrispyKritter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Mepis-Roadblock_TRK2-32.iso

#3 Post by KrispyKritter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Downloaded last night and did a clean install. Total time for download to completion of installation (upgrading included) about 90 minuets on this laptop. This is not a VM installation so time included DVD burining and installing from DVD.

Everything is working (I am posting from it wirelessly).

John has done a great job. :number1:

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by muskt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 am

Hello group.

I attempted to install the newest Roadblock version today with very little (if any) success.
I am not complaining or "badmouthing" your work, so please do not read anything into my ramblings. This is simply a report on my attempts.

1. There were no icons on the desktop when running the live dvd. I remembered about the "folder view" vs "desktop" thing, & finally located the "folder view".

2. I use Firefox almost exclusively. On the Mepis Forum (live dvd), I could not locate this thread. I had only shut down & rebooted after the download & burn, so back to Windows to locate the thread--still there on my Windows install (could be a cache/refresh thing ???) Reboot back to the live dvd. Locate the thread, & attempted to locate the "read me". Extremely sluggish reaction to folder selection. Finally located the read me, but it won't open. Next, I looked for the "show hidden files or system files - whatever it is called--never did find that one. Finally it (read me) opened - took several minutes. My system is Intel I7-930--6G ram--3 WD Velociraptor drives--Nvidia GTX550TI card--I do not think the computer is too slow.

3. After a long time of searching, I finally was able to read the "read me". next attempted to locate Konsole--OK, so it is called terminal on this install--I looked for Konsole as per the instructions (I think it said Konsole--I no longer have the dvd--See number 7 below). That took me quite a while. Got it up and running. Ran minstall. I have installed Mepis probably over 100 times since I started playing with it around version 3.xx. Correct, or not, I have always run the partition editor from the install disk to select a disk & partition to use for the install. It absolutely refused to run (no amplification of this one necessary).

4. Reboot into my trusted M11 install. Ran partition editor & selected a drive & a partition. I usually only install on one partition when testing/experimenting--probably not the best option, but it does work.
4a. Dolphin refused to allow me to view the overwhelming majority of my drives in the live dvd. I find this extremely irritating, also. It took me hours (literally hours) of messing around with the myriad of files & permissions & Root vs User in the Roadblock 64 install that I have to just be able to see all my drives--that is another big irritant--my computer, my drives--I feel that I should not need permission to see them--please do not bring up the "security" thing--I am not that paranoid.

5. Reboot into live dvd. Start minstall again. Select the partition I desired to install to, & am told it is "exfat--?????" (I really don't remember what it said, but have never seen that before.). Time to stop before something goes FUBAR (Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition--Thought I was gonna say something dirty, didn't ya?).

6. Reboot into Windows. Clock is 4 hours off--I do not live in the Eastern time zone. That is really irritating to me--why does it need to reset the clock every time you run the live dvd? But I digress.

7. Remove live dvd--break into thousands of tiny pieces--vow to wait till (if ever) I learn enough to install again.
Yes, I checked the sum prior to burning--burned at half speed--same as I always do.

As you may have guessed, I am a bit frustrated, again. I just find all this much too difficult and complicated.
Again, I am not badmouthing your work, simply reporting that I (a serious rookie--no longer a newbie--just a rookie) could not get it installed.

Jerry in Anchorage

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by m_pav » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:07 am

Ouch !

I'm hedging a bet that your hardware combination is in some way connected to the intensely slow response and simply adding a grub cheatcode, such as noapic may have assisted or using nvidia.modeset=o and confx to overcome a potential conflict with the graphics driver.

However, I totally understand your destroying the DVD and I would recommend that you never use optical media again and instead use the option to create a Live-USB drive if your system supports it. These are at least 10 times faster than optical media, but only take 2-3 times the time to create, and the mess left behind from destroying the "install" is nil, just blank and reformat.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am

Unfortunately I have been unable after several tries to get a full download to try this. I will have to try another downloader.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by uncle mark » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am

richb wrote:Unfortunately I have been unable after several tries to get a full download to try this. I will have to try another downloader.
Did you try Saist's link? That worked for me.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:43 am

uncle mark wrote:
richb wrote:Unfortunately I have been unable after several tries to get a full download to try this. I will have to try another downloader.
Did you try Saist's link? That worked for me.
Yes I did. Tried both Google Chrome and Firefox downloaders, both Saist and Danum's links. I am now downloading with Kget and hopefully will get through to the end.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:50 am

That's weird. I had no trouble downloading it last night from Danum's link.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:56 am

I think it i strange as well. I am now about 1/2 way through it with 1/2 hour to go with Kget. It is looking better.
Forum Rules

Rich

Return to “Community Submissions”