-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso

KrispyKritter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso

#31 Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:07 am

Fargo wrote:I got mine installed and mostly setup. But what happened to Dolphin as root? I could have sworn I saw it when I first installed and now its gone.
Another option is kdesu dolphin

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#32 Post by Fargo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

m_pav wrote:See my post 2nd from bottom on page 2.

Mike P
Thank you. I knew I read something about that somewhere but I couldn't find it. I was pretty tired last night. Thats why I went to bed right after I posted. Thanks again.

KrispyKritter wrote:
Fargo wrote:I got mine installed and mostly setup. But what happened to Dolphin as root? I could have sworn I saw it when I first installed and now its gone.
Another option is kdesu dolphin

Steve
Hey that worked too. I swear I tried that last night and couldn't get dolphin to open. I must have been more tired than I thought. The only downside is that that it doesn't have the nice little red icon that Root Dolphin did in M11. I might have to see what I can setup with Mikes directions.

How hard is it to make a personal remaster once I have these little things setup?

KrispyKritter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

NTFS-3G Explanation:

Further research into the NTFS problem has proven that NTFS does not play fair with the rest of the world, but what else is new with M$.

First it takes root privileges to mount a drive:
Steve@roadbock-c_64:~$ mount /mnt/sda10
mount: only root can do that
Steve@roadbock-c_64:~$ su
[root@roadbock-c_64 Steve]# mount /mnt/sda10
[root@roadbock-c_64 Steve]#

The partition is now mounted and all is happy.

This can also be done by running Dolphin as root (kdesu dolphin).

This leads to the conclusion that the file type "ntfs-3g" will not invoke the required root privileges when trying to mount through a normal dolphin session whereas the linux file types (ext3, ext4) do.

Googleing around it appears the accepted way to mount NTFS is by using the fstab file. Since fstab is read during system boot when everything is running as root thus avoiding the aforementioned "root privilege" problem.

Therefore NTFS mounting is not a problem just a minor inconvenience that is easily solved by a simple edit of one file.

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#34 Post by Danum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:06 pm

First I would ask why you need it as it was in Mepis 11.0, when you can do anything that you could do in Mepis 11.0 and a few more things , by using the installed root menu that is included by default.

Image Image
How hard is it to make a personal remaster once I have these little things setup?
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 59&t=29920
Although I have not done this for a while it should still work as the developer keeps live-build 100% up to date,
but remember to clear out all the junk because everything get copied to the new DVD, and I do mean everything.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#35 Post by Fargo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Danum wrote:
First I would ask why you need it as it was in Mepis 11.0, when you can do anything that you could do in Mepis 11.0 and a few more things , by using the installed root menu that is included by default.
Thanks, I did see the root options. The reason I needed it was because I had a Virtual machine on a separate 'Misc' partition. When I installed Roadblock I no longer had access to that partition via Dolphin. So I wanted Dolphin as root so I could copy the file over to my 'documents' folder in my 'home' partition. But maybe a better question would simply be how to I give additional partitions full access? I tried to give my 'Misc' partition user access under 'kdesu dolphin' via 'Properties> Permissions' but it reverted to 'root' only.

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#36 Post by Danum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Tomorrow I will post a link for a deb to install, for setting up ntfs partitions or any other partition without going any where near fstab, for Read/Write or Read only. this will also install in 32 bit Roadblock.

Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#37 Post by Danum » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:38 pm

With regards to the deb in the above post, I dont think in reality you need it, you simply add to the panel at the left side of Dolphin which give you read/write access to a ntfs drive. but you need to know which the drive is first, Start KDiskFree and make a note of the Mount point.

Right click in the left side panel in Dolphin > Add Entry, click on the Open file diolog > click on mnt to expand > click on the appropriate drive (sda?)
OK.
Change the icon from a folder, click on the icon > change Places to Devices and click on drive-harddisk > OK
You will now have a new entry in the side bar, which will give you read/write access to the ntfs drive.
Desktop.

richb
Administrator

#38 Post by richb » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 pm

My ntfs partition just shows up in the Dolphin side panel. Clicking on it mounts it for read write access. I do not recall doing anything to have it listed.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#39 Post by m_pav » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 am

Having issues with theme and nvidia driver. First boot after installation, everything is just peachy, looking great , but that's about as far as it goes, provided I don't install a single thing. After installing anything, e.g. openssh-server, client and mc, then rebooting, I get the flashing cursor, so to move forward, I have to install the official nvidia driver because no other driver seems to work.

Graphics card is a nVidia GT218 with 256Mb VRAM, running nVidia 290.75.

I have tried 3 various installation options from making the driver the first thing I install after installing RoadBlockB-64 to enabling the CR Testing repo and updating what I can, xserver and the likes, plus a host of other repos to update whatever I can, then install the driver and I get the same result.
Each time, I format and install to a single partition so there are no residual configs, yet every time the result is identical, unusable app windows where any backfill colour, whether white or otherwise, becomes entirely black, and with the text being black too, all the application and utility windows become near on totally unreadable, and it goes as far as the entire Dolphin window being near on totally black, except for any icons, which look normal because they have no backfill.

Of course, the only real way forward from there is to switch to VT1, log in as root and use terminal processes.

I did make some headway with the gui through opening the nvidia tool and guessing the mouse position inside the window and miraculously clicking the right place which improved some of the backgrounds, but it's still not really usable.

So has anybody got any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

The snapshots below show my production laptop looking normal, and my work computer via remote login showing how unusable it is, and that's just a single window, imagine what it was like when I had dolphin or Firefox open!

Mike P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#40 Post by m_pav » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Thank you for your PM Loco, that was the right answer.

I changed the Desktop Theme to Air, which gave me the best visibility all round and yay, my work PC is usable again.
Here is the link that Loco provided, which triggered my memory. The glassified theme did not make things clear enough.
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 16#p287516

Thanks

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

Return to “Community Submissions”