-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso

#1 Post by Danum » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Hot of the press at New-Camp HQ, (just to keep everyone happy :lipsrsealed: )

Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso (hybrid) 1.4 GiB
Md5Sum: 723133d260212ef78404de28406c48b2 Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso (isohydrid)
Download link.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6e-tF ... YThmclB4Zw

Note mepis-config has been edited and pined in this release, it is pined for a reason, so do not un-pin it.

Read the included setup in Home.
KDE 4.8 wallpapers.
Ksplash, kdm and plymouth themes for default 4.8 theme, sgfxi, ia32.libs, etc etc
icons from flintstone.inc on the desktop replaced with the default kde-information icon.
If you want access to a ntfs file system (Windows), install ntfs-config from the default repos, access is from a GUI, Kmenu > Settings

Top picture is using the new default installed colors, setup as per the instructions in Home

Known Bugs,
The panel does not resize on a new install, once you have resized it it will auto resize if you change the desktop size.
Work Around: Right click on the Panel:- Panel Options=>Panel Settings=>More Settings=>Maximize Panel.
No icon on Mepis install, on live DVD.

Last edited by Danum on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Saist
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso

#2 Post by Saist » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:43 pm

yay! *waitswaitswaits*

okay, re-uploading to Google Docs.

KrispyKritter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by KrispyKritter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Have it downloaded and posting from the Live DVD.

Note: the size now exceeds the capicity of a mini DVD.

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by uncle mark » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Link taken down. Getting some hinky hits.
Last edited by uncle mark on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by m_pav » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Yay + 1

For those wishing to use the features of isohybrid to make a bootable USB thumb drive....

First install pv

Code: Select all

su -c 'apt-get install pv'
Then after thoroughly checking the letter association of your flash drive and entering it correctly in the command line, replacing the sdX with the actual letter association, and correcting the paths as necessary in the command example below.

Code: Select all

su -c 'dd if=Mepis-Roadblock_B-64.iso | pv -fprt -s 1400m | dd of=/dev/sdX'
pv will give you a scrolling progress bar to indicate the current position of the read process. It is indicative only because it appears to only report the portion sent to the systems allocated RAM for the process, not the actual position in the stream, but it is helpful never the less. If like me, you have 8GB RAM installed, the entire iso loads into RAM memory within a 20 seconds, so it won't give you much of an indication at all.

The image will be transferred to the flash drive making it bootable. Once a flash drive is treated as such, the OS will identify it as an optical disk and further partitioning will not be possible on the drive for regular users, so make sure you use a 2 or 4 GB drive, not a 16GB for this purpose.

Mike P
Last edited by m_pav on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

Saist
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by Saist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:20 am

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6e-tF ... YThmclB4Zw

The older Roadblock-64 file has now been removed.

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by m_pav » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:56 am

Downloaded and stuck it on a Thumb drive, booted a brand new Lenovo 13" netbook, desktop operating normally, no network devices found, so no doubt this will need a more up-to date kernel for later model machines, but on hardware that is not so bleeding edge, it should be just fine.

One thing I have found that is consistent with any remaster is they all have this inability to mount ntfs partitions as a regular user, which was a condition of the original Mepis 11 during the beta testing phase, but it got corrected at one of the rc stages. The question I have right now is, how can this inability to access ntfs partitions be adjusted to make regular users able to mount ntfs partitions. Without this function, a dual booter will very quickly become frustrated if they are in the process of migrating to Linux.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

ko
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by ko » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:02 am

m_pav wrote:Downloaded and stuck it on a Thumb drive, booted a brand new Lenovo 13" netbook, desktop operating normally, no network devices found, so no doubt this will need a more up-to date kernel for later model machines, but on hardware that is not so bleeding edge, it should be just fine.

One thing I have found that is consistent with any remaster is they all have this inability to mount ntfs partitions as a regular user, which was a condition of the original Mepis 11 during the beta testing phase, but it got corrected at one of the rc stages. The question I have right now is, how can this inability to access ntfs partitions be adjusted to make regular users able to mount ntfs partitions. Without this function, a dual booter will very quickly become frustrated if they are in the process of migrating to Linux.

Mike P
I use disk-manager (in the repos) to get around this. It provides the ability to selectively mount (and unmount) or automount on boot of any selected partition, including ntfs.
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by Danum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:03 am

m_pav wrote:One thing I have found that is consistent with any remaster is they all have this inability to mount ntfs partitions as a regular user, which was a condition of the original Mepis 11 during the beta testing phase, but it got corrected at one of the rc stages. The question I have right now is, how can this inability to access ntfs partitions be adjusted to make regular users able to mount ntfs partitions. Without this function, a dual booter will very quickly become frustrated if they are in the process of migrating to Linux.

Mike P
The mounting of partitions in Mepis is a disaster mainly due to the fact it throughs security out of the window,
a user should not have access to any partition by default, but it should be available if root grants it, on a session only or permanent basis by a dialog, as is the Debian default, the problem has arisen due to the fact most users using Mepis run single user systems, not multiple user.
as Ko said you can use disk-manager or use my preference when using Debian which is ntfs-config, which I will include in any future releases.

Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

KrispyKritter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by KrispyKritter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:25 am

m_pav wrote: One thing I have found that is consistent with any remaster is they all have this inability to mount ntfs partitions as a regular user, which was a condition of the original Mepis 11 during the beta testing phase, but it got corrected at one of the rc stages. The question I have right now is, how can this inability to access ntfs partitions be adjusted to make regular users able to mount ntfs partitions. Without this function, a dual booter will very quickly become frustrated if they are in the process of migrating to Linux.

Mike P
Go to fstab and move them up to be auto mounted. I know that is not the best way to do it, but it works.

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Return to “Community Submissions”