Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Mepis-Roadblock2_64.iso Release

Roadblock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Mepis-Roadblock2_64.iso Release

#21 Postby Roadblock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Ah, ok. I was curious. Thanks. ;)

BTW - Has Debian fixed it yet?
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#22 Postby Danum » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Roadblock wrote:Ah, ok. I was curious. Thanks. ;)

BTW - Has Debian fixed it yet?

No Debian as per normal are behind the times.
You can clear the panel by clicking on the calender to open it, then close it, and it will clear the panel.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Postby Stevo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I wonder if the theme has anything to do with that problem. I don't see that issue at all on my 64 install, or 32-bit VM. Hmmm---64-bit is using "Oxygen", what are you folks using that see the problem?

Steve (downloading the ISO now)
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

Roadblock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Postby Roadblock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm

I've not tried the re-spin, I was commenting based on my recent installation of Mepis 11.0.12 (64) with KDE updated to 4.7.4. I wondered if the re-spin had the same issue. I think I was using slimglow, as that is my usual choice of themes....
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Postby kmathern » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Roadblock wrote:I had noticed something weird in my Mepis 11.0.12 which I had updated to KDE 4.7.4. (I have since installed over it, Kanotix 11-3) When I would close a window, program, etc, the entry would remain in the toolbar after it was closed. I don't know whether it is was a Mepis, KDE or Roadblock (me) problem. Anyone having that with this re-spin?

Stevo wrote:I wonder if the theme has anything to do with that problem. I don't see that issue at all on my 64 install, or 32-bit VM. Hmmm---64-bit is using "Oxygen", what are you folks using that see the problem?

Steve (downloading the ISO now)

I'm not seeing that problem either. (note that this isn't on a Mepis-Roadblock install, but with Mepis 11.0 upgraded to Stevo's KDE 4.7.4)

I'm using the 'Serious' theme {I forget if the Serious theme is one of the default themes or if I got it from the `Get New Themes` installer}.

I'm also using the plasma-widget-smooth-tasks taskbar instead of the default taskbar. I have the ubuntu plasma-widget-smooth-tasks package (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/plas ... ooth-tasks) installed. I'm using it because it's built to use libtaskmanager4abi2.

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#26 Postby DBeckett » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

I saw it on my PC with M11 32-bit, but not on my 32-bit laptop, both using the Elegance theme.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#27 Postby zeeone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 am

The following is my expanded Roadblock test notes.

Started 2/10/12 at about 1700.

Ran the live disk on two different systems. My main machine, a straight 64 bit AMD system(as in CPU, chipsets, video card) and a 15" Macbook Pro, a 64 bit Intel system with Nvidia video.

First runtime for the live disk is on the main machine. The bootup went well as I have seen Mepis do a billion times. Then as the desktop was finishing loading, here comes the KDE crash handler still.
Funny(in real time I used a different word), I have never seen this happen from the live disk before, after the install, mucho many times, well I guess after today I can not say that. Is this a bad omen or my anomaly has been picked up on Roadblock's ISO.
With M11 on some systems and not all, I have seen the KDE crash handler come up after any reboot. However, it is always on the same machines that the anomaly started with. M11 on this machine it happens every time. The error is never the same. I know it is not the machine, I have ran just about all of the KDE desktop distros there are and this anomaly has not happened on this machine with them, yet.

Still on the live disk, my first choice to look at is KinfoCenter> Device Information> PCI and found a pleasant surprise. First, at last, there is the video card listed as "ATI Technologies Inc RV570
[Radeon X1950 Pro]. Not, "unknown [Radeon], not, ATI Technologies Inc unknown [Radeon]. Bravo, bravo to this, I never could get M11 to do this. So now maybe, just the standard desktop graphics will work. Maybe for the first time, I will get to see the eye candy in a M11 install.
The next pleasant surprise is the chipsets listing. No unknowns, No ATI unknowns, bravo, bravo, the listing looks right(you know, just like the other guys). Okay, played with a few more things and now time to shut it down to try it on the Apple machine. Ahhh, the disk ejected. The live disk must eject, so I know it will eject from the apple machine, messes can happen if the disk will not eject.

Started 2/10/12 at about 1810

Live disk in, instructed the bootloader to load from the super dive and here we go. WHAT???? Just as the desktop was finishing loading, here comes the KDE crash handler. Never had that happen with the Apple, live or installed, had a lot of other thing happen. Okay, clear that off and let me see what shows up on the desktop. For the taskbar the left side looks good however the right side is bare. No clock, sound, network or updater, just show hidden icons and clipboard. Quick plug of a thumb drive and Notifier works. I do not have the network connected to the apple so that might be why.
The sound is the famous Intel inside, so that will take some time to get working after a install. The wi-fi and network will work after a install, this is Mepis. Quick look at KinfoCenter, yeup, it
sees the modems and the listing looks in order. It will work out ok, if I hit the right drivers. The trackpad is hard to use, pc trackpad drivers and Apple are not friends. Let me see if the
Bluetooth will work with the mouse. Nope, the software can not find which way is up so, no winkie, blinkie from the mouse. The video display looks good, no black boxes opening and closing windows or apps. So it looks like the standard Linux vs Apple install/battle. I really want to install Roadblock onto the main machine so, shut down time. Ah-ha the disk ejected just fine, no mess today.

Started 2/10/12 at about 1920

Started the Roadblock install and using the finest installer in the Linux kingdom. Ext3 file system, good old true blue. A lot of distros do not have Ext3 on thier list for file systems anymore.
Love this installer, had to reformat the HD, the last distro used had some new wild crazy format on it. Install done, reboot and watch what happens. And here come the splasy page. What did that one clown call it? An upside down jelly fish? No tast in art for him. The desktop is........up and so is the crash handler. This is bad juju but, onwards. Eye candy not on by default, I will
play with that tomorrow. A look at KinfoCenter, the lists look right, now to the repos. All of the Mepis ones not opened and so is the Deb multimedia, I wonder why? Should I or not? Well it
is my machine, there the Deb multimedia is now open. Reload the list, crap, can not find this and that. If this load survives the first twenty four hours of my test, maybe I will load those other
repos and see what happens. Wait some time in between reloads of the list, same crap, Can not find this or that. This could take days before I can get a good lock on the repos. So I will proceed at my own risk. Let me see now, Ace of the Penguins and remove Firefox are the first to do. Then load Iceweasel, next is Xscreensavers, then Freedoom and I think that is enough for now. Audacious, need that one too, file transfers need testing. Thumb drives and the external HDs need to test.

Started 2/10/12 at about 2130

After the loads were done, I copied the .mozilla, .thunderbird and .gkrell folders from a thumb drive into the home file, before I will launch Iceweasel. I did not download Thunderbird or Gkrell yet, but, I am ready when I do. Time to launch Iceweasel, off it goes, bookmarks and all are there ready for me to use. Setup Xscreensavers, loaded some background pictures in via a thumb drive to a home folder, for Xscreensavers to play with. I do not know why, but, Dolphin is working funny. There again, it did not put the data in the right folder. Maybe it is because I have not set Dolphin up to my liking as yet or voodoo.
For the rest of the night I will tinker with what I have. In a few minutes I will set Iceweasel to stream a radio station for the night, Coast To Coast is on, what not a believer. Then Xscreensavers
and the radio stream can run all night long. I will be up and down all night long anyways so I can check on how Roadblock is doing(getting old).

Two out of three times the radio stream was down, maybe the station's fault, they have issues at times. Xscreensavers are working great, no lockups. Third time the stream was up, it is Saturday the infomercials are on, so I shut it down. Xscreensavers are still going.

0700 2/11/12, four updates are waiting to be launched.

libmlt++3 from 0.7.0-1 to 1:0.6.2-0.0 MLT multimedia framework C++ wrapper (runtime)
libmit-data from 0.7.0-1 to 1:0.6.2-0.0 multimedia framework (data)
libvpx0 from 0.9.6-1mcr110+1 to 0.9.7.p1-2.squeeze2 VP8 video codec (shared library)
melt from 0.7.0-1 to 1:0.6.2-0.0 command line media player and video editor

Did a "mark all upgrades" only libmit-data and libvpx0 highlighted, so I applied them and they loaded. I tried to mark the other two manually but, they have "unresolvable dependencies" and will not be installed. After a re-start, yes crash handler is still there and no the two updates are still there.

Started 2/11/12 at about 1130

This next test has three points to test. One is for Audacious in continuous play for hours. In M11 Audacious would crash or lockup, no given time or song, just when it felt like it. The next has two parts, one is a large data transfer from a second thumb drive plugged in. The first thumb dive holds all my data for Kwrite which is in use for this. M11 never gave me any problem using multiple plugged in drives, I just like checking it.
The test went well, Audacious is up and playing, I will see if it stays up and running for how long.

1235 2/11/12

Crap....THE RUDE has happened! Good thing I saved this before it happened. Used the notifier to unmount the 8 gig thumb drive(now remember there are two drives plugged in). The notifier did not stay open, it closed as fast as I clicked on the icon. The icon on the task bar for auto mount is gone too. Did it close both of the thumb drives at once? I unplugged the 8 gig, wait a moment, plugged it back in, no pop up window. Repeat, no icon, no pop up. Did a save of this file, the path is not there, looks like it did unmount both of them. Get a cd, put it into the drive, no pop up window. It seems the auto mount system has gone south. Next do a full system restart. Done and no crash handler on screen, however, the drive sounded more busy this restart than normal. Plug in, nope, unplug, nope. Try the cd thing again, nope. The RUDE wins again.

I will give Roadblock a re-install on Monday and this time I will leave the repos alone and see if I can recreate this again. Until next time ta ta. :happy:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Postby Danum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Well found the problem with Preview, a default Mepis config problem, which explains why Preview has never worked in any Mepis 11, release, all is well now and it works as it should increasing and decreasing the size of folders etc, .

Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#29 Postby zeeone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 am

Ah, do we get a hint which config to fix or do we need to down load a new ISO? Second test is doing well, this time I did not change the repos.
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#30 Postby m_pav » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:09 pm

zeeone wrote:Ah, do we get a hint which config to fix or do we need to down load a new ISO? Second test is doing well, this time I did not change the repos.

Config is good, but a whole ISO vs a delta?.

Also, iso needs to have isohybrid prior to distribution to enable simple dd to flash drive.

I ran isohybrid on the original iso, which changes the md5sum from
4b5c30e50dd40c2f10c7b5a074195507 Mepis-Roadblock2_64.iso
to
64876c99e1aecd7b7887e860d34243cc Mepis-Roadblock2_64.iso
so a delta from original would not work on the modded iso.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX16 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX16 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX16

Return to “Community Submissions”