-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Announcing a Repository for the KDE 4.7.4 upgrade

richb
Administrator

Re: Announcing a Repository for the KDE 4.7.4 upgrade

#21 Post by richb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 pm

uncle mark wrote: I'm just putting myself in Steve and Tim's shoes. I think I'd be a little exasperated after all the work they've put in. Next thing you know people will be asking "when can we get KDE 4.8?".
I already have. ;) KDE 4.7.4 is very good and a good option to have for upgrade yo M11. Their work is certainly not in vain.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

benny_fletch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Post by benny_fletch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Stevo wrote:benny_fletch, have you also upgraded QT4 to 4.7.3 in the CR?
Yes, I believe so. The first upgrade I am positive I had Qt 4.7.3 installed. The second time, I can only assume (wouldn't it have been install via the instructions at the beginning of this thread?). Like I said before, there are multiple reports of this bug on the KDE bug tracking site (too many for me to link to). According to them it has been resolved (or unconfirmed), but I don't know if that means it has been fixed in 4.7.4 or in the 4.8 series. Also, I am not putting it past an issue with KDE & my system configuration (which is a headache in its own right), so it may not effect everyone. Although, since I have had this problem, I am not going to test if it is actually a system spec related issue by installing 4.7.4 on my desktop. I have done enough reloads in the past two days and still don't have a fully working laptop yet.

As for "4.7.4 has been superseded by 4.8", maybe to KDE, but I won't believe it until debian actually starts packaging 4.8, until then I am going to say 4.7.4 is the latest and is still actively being worked on by them. ;)
II: Kubuntu 14.04 & Windows 7 | 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 | ASUS M4A785TD-V | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX550
KAVAR: Kubuntu 14.04 | Dell Vostro 1000 | 1.8GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 | 4GB DDR2 | ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

richb
Administrator

#23 Post by richb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

It is always wise to try these upgrades in either a VM or a spare machine or partition. Especially when they have not been fully vetted as yet.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

benny_fletch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Post by benny_fletch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

richb wrote:It is always wise to try these upgrades in either a VM or a spare machine or partition. Especially when they have not been fully vetted as yet.
I fully agree! Thus the reason I am not upgrading my desktop (too vital to toy with). My laptop is what I consider my test/spare machine, it is normally pretty easy to reload, unfortunately M11 and it never truly got along (i.e. too many hacks to get it fully functional and the reason I had a hybrid M11+Wheezy configuration going). As for VM's, I never felt it truly represented what you would see on a physical system, but that is just my opinion.

In regards to my desktop, it normally handles everything thrown at it very well, so I have a feeling 4.7.4 would run quite well on it. But in case it doesn't, I just don't feel like reloading two different systems today. Maybe tomorrow? Who knows. One can never know when the urge to fiddle will occur. :p
II: Kubuntu 14.04 & Windows 7 | 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 | ASUS M4A785TD-V | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX550
KAVAR: Kubuntu 14.04 | Dell Vostro 1000 | 1.8GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 | 4GB DDR2 | ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#25 Post by Danum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Stevo wrote:Sorry, I meant that the specific libraries that only Digikam 2.0 uses will get removed before the upgrades; libraries such as libkface1, libmediawiki, libgeolocation. They have some files that conflict with a smooth upgrade and will halt it in its tracks with a "pipe error" if not removed. After the upgrade, nothing should depend on or reinstall those libraries again.
Stevo, you can remove the apps you stated with regards to Digikam and it still has a conflict, it all depends on upgrading ffmpeg, don't upgrade and there is no way the average user will install Digikam, upgrade it and there is no problem,
How about putting the upgraded ffmpeg in the 4.7 repo, that way the upgrade should pick it up and let Digikam and Amarok upgrade accordingly.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Roadblock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#26 Post by Roadblock » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:57 pm

there is no way the average user will install Digikam
I think careful consideration needs to be made before deciding just who the "average user" is and what the "average user" does or does not do. Who gets to decide this?

I use showfoto, which has always needed digikam. I don't use digikam, but I use showfoto almost everyday. I'm sure I am not the only one either.....
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

fatjak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#27 Post by fatjak » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:33 pm

@ Tim & Stevo gotta hand it to ya hell of a job! :number1:

JFYI i played a while with my updated 32 bit setup to see if it would upgrade to 4.7.4 with apt-get , expectedly it was more of a pita than i wanted & installed a fresh 64 bit system as per directions with aptitude and it went smooth as silk, no need for 32 bit anyway. Was a little concerned about black theme on first login as i closed my user session before going to CLI for upgrade. But changed to oxygen theme in setrtings & a reboot and looks like original theme now.

Appreciate the hard work guys!

benny_fletch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#28 Post by benny_fletch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:43 pm

Roadblock wrote:
there is no way the average user will install Digikam
I think careful consideration needs to be made before deciding just who the "average user" is and what the "average user" does or does not do. Who gets to decide this?

I use showfoto, which has always needed digikam. I don't use digikam, but I use showfoto almost everyday. I'm sure I am not the only one either.....
+1 on showfoto.

Although, I don't think that is what he meant by that, I think he is referring to the fact that if you don't upgrade ffmpeg before installing 4.7.4 than it will be a headache to install digikam without issues. Or at least that is how I understood it.

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#29 Post by DBeckett » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:50 pm

I must have had the ffmpeg upgrade already because it didn't show as upgradeable prior to the 4.7.4 upgrade, which went smoothly. I now have digiKam 2.5.

[Edit] I found ffmpeg in History. It was upgraded here on January 17, though I don't remember it.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

Roadblock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#30 Post by Roadblock » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 pm

+1 on showfoto.

Although, I don't think that is what he meant by that, I think he is referring to the fact that if you don't upgrade ffmpeg before installing 4.7.4 than it will be a headache to install digikam without issues. Or at least that is how I understood it.
Apologies if I misunderstood. My remarks were more in general than specific to this situation though. Inductive leaps (example - I've seen 10 swans, they were white, therefore all swans are white...) can be dangerous anytime. ;)
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Return to “Community Submissions”