News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What Linux Needs To Do To Reach The Masses.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What Linux Needs To Do To Reach The Masses.

Post by dreamer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:03 pm

According to this comment Jim Zemlin Executive Director of Linux Foundation told him already in 2008 that Linux is NOT important on the desktop.
ken starks
April 3, 2017 at 11:08 pm

In 2008, I was asked to attend the (by invitation only), Linux Collaboration Summit in Austin Texas. Since I am local to Austin and my head swelled X 10 by receiving this invite, I rounded up one of our non profit Directors and we pushed our way through the front door, into Mecca, as far as I was concerned.

I was still a bit naive and star-struck when I attended that summit. Between presentations, Tom King and I collared Jim Zemlin and I made mention to him that there was little to catch the Desktop user’s attention or interest within the gathering’s program and scheduling for the duration of the summit. Zemlin stood in front of Tom and I and looked down his nose while explaining that there was no real market for the Desktop application For linux and The Linux Foundation had no real use for the desktop or its users.

Tom and I stood, completely gobsmacked; for the next minute, both of us trying to process what we had just heard and from whom we had heard it. That was an eye-opening experience, and I could not have cared less if I was ever invited again, which I have not. We are dreck in the eyes of the Linux Foundation, us Desktop folks…and it’s a shame that the LF profits from the hard work from those that contribute reams of code for the Linux Desktop.

It’s a wonder that Desktop linux has made as much progress as it had, given that “The linux Foundation” would just as soon see the whole “desktop thing” sucked into a black hole.
Comment 3 from the top:
http://fossforce.com/2017/04/lin-deskto ... -openness/

Jim Zemlin is also (in)famous for using OSX/macOS.
https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/907000812131385344
It appears that Jim Zemlin, President of the Linux Foundation, was using MacOS while declaring "2017 is officially the year of the Linux desktop!" at the Open Source Summit 2017. This was observed by several YouTube channels: Switched to Linux and The Lunduke Show. Finally it was reported by It's FOSS.

if, indeed, this is the year of desktop Linux, why oh why cannot people like Zemlin present a simple slide presentation -- let alone actually use a Linux distro for work.
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/09/ ... rce-summit

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 pm

A 20% refund of the price of the distro.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Who works any way??!?!? :happy: :bagoverhead: :needcoffee:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

Return to “Chat”