News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Microsofts plan to "Modularize" windows..... is actually a great idea!

MadmanRB
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Microsofts plan to "Modularize" windows..... is actually a great idea!

Post by MadmanRB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... kes-shape/

I will begin this by saying I am no big fan of Microsoft, nor windows.
Indeed I would not be into linux as much if Microsoft didnt do such a terrible job at making operating systems or have as much of a shaky track record of them.
Now i will make it no secret that yes i still use windows now and then, mainly for gaming but aside that 99.9% of my time is in the linux world with Linux mint being my primary linux OS as i like its balance of stability and hardware compatibility.
Even if my main machine remains booted into windows when say I am sick and dont feel like using my main machine I will have either my android powered tablet or my laptop with MX linux as its only OS.
Still this idea of breaking windows up and making it more modular is perhaps the best idea Microsoft might have had in a long time.
For too long windows has been a big bloated mess, eating up resources and being a general pain in the you know what.
This is one of the reasons why windows failed in the mobile marketspace as unlike iOS and android windows is totally bloated and keeping development in the mobile space was always going to be a chore.
Microsoft finds itself in a odd position right now as while they remain popular on desktops and laptops, the mobile market still lays outside of their reach.
This could be a good way for Microsoft to perhaps enter the mobile market again and I will be honest I am actually rooting for them as android needs some competition as android is the most dominant OS on mobile.
If Microsoft can trim the fat off of windows then I am actually hoping they do.
If i can remove all the junk that comes with windows 10 on my own without the need of third party software or manually going though the settings then this is indeed a boon for them.
Sure i still dont like Microsoft nor will ever trust them in a million years but at the same time..... I applaud them like this, they cannot live on the Ballmer method forever and while I actually like Satya Nadella there are still the earmarks of the old Microsoft still around and Nadellas reign hasnt exactly been smooth, I swear there are times where i think Microsoft is at war with itself and is in the grasp of a major identity crisis.
Let me in!

AK-47
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Microsofts plan to "Modularize" windows..... is actually a great idea!

Post by AK-47 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am

They had this idea back when they did Windows NT 3.1, but because the hardware wasn't powerful enough they went back to integrating the graphics subsystem into the kernel in Windows NT 4.0. This stuck until about Vista when they brought a lot of it back to userland (WDDM, UMDF). And then I remember their demo of MinWin for Windows 7 with the ASCII-art boot screen and everything, but of course it turned out to be just an improved version of Vista.

So my question is: when are they actually gonna do it?
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

MadmanRB
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by MadmanRB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Well I can see them maybe doing it by 2020.
But yes there was a time where Microsofts approach of "bundle everything onto the OS" was not really a bad idea, sure it still ate up resources but maybe not as much if those parts were separate pieces .
But on the Vista Era + era they should have trimmed down the fat a bit more.
I mean they sort of did with Windows 7 as windows 7 is what vista should have been but 7 still suffered bloat problems.
The OS still suffers bloat issues with 10 though I will say in some respects I like windows 10 more than 7 as its actually quite good at using resources.... it just has bloat in other areas (cortana, telemetry crap, bloody candy crush!!!!!!!!!)
Let me in!

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mxer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Can they make it usable again & not so bloated?
They need a complete restart from ground up to achieve that.
DOS/W3 worked, W95 worked, W98 worked, then it went to pot!
Of all their monoliths, I think XP was their zenith.

Would I ever consider using MS products again?
Never!

I like the freedom I still have with Linux & BSD - & no, I don't like systemd or pulseaudio, neither is/was necessary!
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:58 pm

I believe that there are a LOT of Win7 users out there that won't upgrade to Win10 when the Win7 support runs out early next year. (I know I'm one of them - not that I accept there update downloads anyway.)

Many of these people will just continue to use Win7 anyway, others will look at alternative OS's to those that come from MS. I think that there are those that have to use whatever OS supports software that is essential to them, & they have to go where they have to go.

How much MS understand their market, I don't know? Just maybe, they have a plan to keep more anti-Win10 users, & by supplying a version of Windows that allows the user to truly customise it to suit themselves (I wonder where they got that idea from... :) ) is a major part of that plan?

If so, they want to get a move on & get it released quick smart, as usually once people leave MS, they don't come back.

My son in law still runs his hotel on WinXP, & that machine is often using the internet. It matters what websites you go to on the net.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

masterpeace
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by masterpeace » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:12 am

So they basically plan to make a repo ... ?

Im quite noob at techs , please enlighten me : basically what happened if MS do make shell command separate from windows core OS ?

mgp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mgp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 am

Windows is spyware dressed up as an operating system. Bloated or trimmed it will still be spyware. I use linux for about 15 or more years now. I duel and multi booted till about 3 years ago when i dumped windows completely. I keep a copy of windows in a virtual machine in case i may need it for something i can't do in linux. It's wasted disk space now because all i do is boot windows up to update it when i remember. I use MX which i discovered poking around distrowatch and i built a cpl custom Arch systems. MX has become my daily driver.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:55 pm

handy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:58 pm
I believe that there are a LOT of Win7 users out there that won't upgrade to Win10 when the Win7 support runs out early next year. (I know I'm one of them - not that I accept there update downloads anyway.)

Many of these people will just continue to use Win7 anyway, others will look at alternative OS's to those that come from MS. I think that there are those that have to use whatever OS supports software that is essential to them, & they have to go where they have to go.
People have been saying for decades that they won't upgrade to the next version of Windows. Yet they always do, with the enterprise leading the way. As long as MSFT owns the productivity space, they can force OS updates to be compatible with their latest and greatest version of Office. Same thing with Intuit and Adobe.

The only crack in Redmon's hegemony over the desktop is the rise of SAAS and web-only enabled softwares, neither of which is appealing.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:53 pm

@uncle mark, it is that cloudish thing that is why I think that MS are embracing Linux. They know that the times are always a changing, & they are trying not to loose touch with that (they have stuffed up big time in the past, maybe they are learning...?)

They are in a fantastic position re. corporate/government customers, which if they play their cards right, they should maintain for a very long time. If they stuff up, the likes of G**gle will own the world! (Until the world on the whole wakes up & brakes them up.)
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 pm

handy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:53 pm
@uncle mark, it is that cloudish thing that is why I think that MS are embracing Linux. They know that the times are always a changing, & they are trying not to loose touch with that (they have stuffed up big time in the past, maybe they are learning...?)
It would make sense that they would support Linux based web platforms on which to run their proprietary software. That's where the money is -- web platforms (Azure) and Office. It's always been about the applications, not the operating system. If MSFT can keep you using their bread and butter via the web, they don't care if you're running Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, or Linux. They'll still be getting theirs.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Return to “Chat”