Kali Linux

Sparky

Kali Linux

#1 Post by Sparky »

Anyone ever use that? I keep seeing it mentioned in hacking circles. Does it come with specialized hacking tools or something? Is it based on another distro?
Should I be worried If someone at work is using Kali?
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

Stevo
Developer

Re: Kali Linux

#2 Post by Stevo »

Kali Linux is a very specialized distro for penetration testing security experts only, runs as root, and was never designed to be installed and used as a normal distro, only as a live USB.

If your co-worker is not one of those experts and is running it as a installed version, they are a wanna-be poser hacker that doesn't know what they are doing. Just because they saw it used on the Mr Robot show does not make them a hacker.

https://docs.kali.org/introduction/shou ... kali-linux

Sparky

#3 Post by Sparky »

Stevo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm Kali Linux is a very specialized distro for penetration testing security experts only, runs as root, and was never designed to be installed and used as a normal distro, only as a live USB.

If your co-worker is not one of those experts and is running it as a installed version, they are a wanna-be poser hacker that doesn't know what they are doing. Just because they saw it used on the Mr Robot show does not make them a hacker.
Man I was really worried, thanks Stevo!
I first located it when running device search in the office router. It came back as just an IP using Linux. When I didn't recognize it, I asked and 1 co worker said he's running Kali Linux. I thought it was a very strange choice, as in the office we encourage either MX or Debian.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Sparky wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:57 pm
Stevo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm Kali Linux is a very specialized distro for penetration testing security experts only, runs as root, and was never designed to be installed and used as a normal distro, only as a live USB.

Man I was really worried, thanks Stevo!
I first located it when running device search in the office router. It came back as just an IP using Linux. When I didn't recognize it, I asked and 1 co worker said he's running Kali Linux. I thought it was a very strange choice, as in the office we encourage either MX or Debian.
Well Kali is Debian based... ;) I have to say though that Mr. Robot was a fun show.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Sparky

#5 Post by Sparky »

manyroads wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm
Well Kali is Debian based... ;) I have to say though that Mr. Robot was a fun show.

Now you both have made me have to watch that show. I think I saw the first season where he prefers Gnome to some other guy who prefers KDE. The older guy was speaking some foreign language but his wife was cold as ice.

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

Sparky wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm
manyroads wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Now you both have made me have to watch that show. I think I saw the first season where he prefers Gnome to some other guy who prefers KDE. The older guy was speaking some foreign language but his wife was cold as ice.
I hope you enjoy Mr. Robot! :popcorn:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

JBoman

#7 Post by JBoman »

Not sure of your position at work but it might be wise to download a copy to a zip drive and look it over yourself and possibly watch a few you tube videos on it's uses. If used for wrong purposes it could get a user or company into hot water as it is quite capable in experienced hands to penetrate most defenses we use today to secure our systems. Not meaning to raise an alarm but I wouldn't take it to lightly either. ;)
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-18.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

What is he doing with it? If he's running it as root and surfing the web, for example, isn't he exposing your whole network to attacks?

Sparky

#9 Post by Sparky »

I own the company so I get to have the final word, but I don't like being heavy handed.
Now that my paranoia nerve has been struck, I'm going to have a talk with him. Out of all Linux distros, why Kali, right?

Sparky

#10 Post by Sparky »

manyroads wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 pm
I hope you enjoy Mr. Robot! :popcorn:
Hmmm, it's not on Netflix, I'll have to hunt it down. For now, I am only subscribed to netflix, but thinking of adding Amazon Prime.

Return to “Chat”