News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Anyone else think Gnome is useless?

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Anyone else think Gnome is useless?

Post by Sparky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:22 am

I tried it on Fedora, Ubuntu, and Manjaro. It remains a mystery to me how some people swear by it and think it is the ultimate DE. I mean, come on, KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon..etc.... are so much better.
I know its good to have choices, and I'm sure the Gnome followers are happy, but I just can't figure out why.
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD

jackdanielsesq
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Anyone else think Gnome is useless?

Post by jackdanielsesq » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:37 am

LMAO ... affirmative ... about as useful as the three O/S you mentioned :number1:

Regards

Jack

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Artim » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 am

It looks like a cellphone or something, from all the screenshots I have seen of it. I like a clean desktop with no icons at all. I get everything from the Menu or from launchers on a transparent panel I moved to the bottom of the screen. My clock, weather, and notifications are all at a top panel. Clean and simple. I haven't used Gnome since Gnome 2 on Ubuntu when I was just getting started in Linux on Ubuntu. It was totally different from the greedy monster that Gnome 3 has become!

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 am

I have been using Gnome since around 2015/2016 on Korora 21, which I have kept "rolling" until its present Fedora 29 incarnation (Gnome 3.30). I also have an Arch-based distro running the latest Gnome 3.32.

The thing about Gnome 3 is that because the devs keep tweaking and changing it, and also changing their minds about certain elements, I also change my mind about it regularly.

Key example of non-stop changes and tweaks: their Nautilus file manager. Along the way it lost a lot of features, driving me to Nemo. Then it gained back some of it, which I liked. I started using Nautilus again. Then the devs took away some options again in the "hamburger" dropdown menu and hid them in the dropdown arrows of the filepath/breadcrumbs field at the top, which I disliked. Argh.

But ok, if Nautilus is not suitable for you, there is nothing stopping the user from installing another file manager.

But what about general desktop functionality?

My main opinion is that without a few essential shell extensions plus gnome-tweak-tool, which at that time came OOTB with Korora, it's a frustrating desktop environment for mouse-oriented users. Keyboard-centric power users may be ok with it.

But ultimately for Gnome, the user is very much at the mercy of the the devs. They want to pare it down to the bare minimum, and fair enough if you can get used to their way of doing things. But if not, they make it hard for 3rd parties to tweak and provide additional functionality in extensions. So say right now, you are happy because X and Y extensions exist, which make the gnome desktop usable for you. There is no guarantee that down the road, those extensions will continue to work with newer gnome versions.

Example: currently in gnome 3.32, it is now harder for certain shell extensions to display notification icons and their own controls in the gnome panel. I believe quite a few devs of extensions decided to stop maintaining their extensions as a result. I've lost the ability to run a searchable applications menu extension (similar to whisker) and my favourite media player extension as a result.

Since Fedora 29 is still on gnome 3.30, they still work there but once I upgrade it to Fedora 30 when Fed 29 is EOL, I will lose the use of those extensions.

I was actually pretty happy with Gnome from around version 3.26 to 3.30. With 3.32? Less.

Artim wrote: I like a clean desktop with no icons at all. I get everything from the Menu or from launchers on a transparent panel I moved to the bottom of the screen. My clock, weather, and notifications are all at a top panel....
Gnome desktop actually actively pushes for a clean, no-icon desktop. No icons are allowed now. Their top panel is also where all the clock, weather and native notifications (and what's left of 3rd party notifications) reside.

The screenshots you see of the "cell phone" icons is the app overview/overlay display that pops up if you press the "Super" key or the "Apps" button on the Dash/Dock, or move your mouse to the hot corner at the top left.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

mx-2018
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mx-2018 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 am

GNOME is probably easier for those using touchscreen laptops. Otherwise, it is hard for me to use.
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by malspa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 am

Well, I enjoy using GNOME Shell. I don't even bother to use any extensions with it anymore. First time I tried it was with Fedora 15, about 8 years ago.

On a given day, I might be using GNOME Shell or Openbox or KDE Plasma or Xfce or LXDE or Fluxbox. I'm fine with any of those. I actually use Stretch w/ GNOME on what I call my "primary" computer, but I can't say that I have a "favorite" DE/WM.

I don't use Nautilus (aka "Files"); for file management, I prefer Double Commander and the command line (I don't use Thunar or Dolphin, either, but that doesn't make me dislike Xfce or KDE).

Whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am

Perfect example of regressions in Linux. Gnome 2 was just about perfect, so they threw it out and made an abomination that absolutely got in the way and then sold it to Red Hat and Debian as the default. I don't see how anyone can use it and I've tried to like it, but it's just too much work, plus it's a memory hog.

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Not just Gnome, but all the heavyweight desktops including KDE, Cinnamon, Mate and Win 10 et al. It's as though their developers no longer create on the basis of what they should do, but rather on the basis of what they can do regardless of the end product's relevance.
HP ProBook 450 G5; CPU Intel i5; 500GB HDD; Intel UHD 620 Graphics; 8 GB Ram

PPC
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by PPC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm

I haven't really used Gnome in many, many years (I guess I used it when I tested ubuntu, in the long gone time it came in free cd-roms shipped to my home by canonical). But I believe it's a bit harsh to say it's "useless"- I tried via distrotest.net and it looks "cool", and also makes some sense to a new user. Most DE's are resource hogs, but then again, people with modern computers don't care much about that.
There are hundreds of linux distros out there, literally. There are dozens of DE's and Windows Managers. Gnome is one of the most used DE's. so, many people like it right?
That excess choice, unfortunatly is (a small) part of the reason Linux is not main stream- it's too fragmented- too much choice for a normal "Windows user". But I guess a normal Windows user could make sense from gnome. Gnome has one thing I miss in XFCE - but that can be achieved using xlunch (http://xlunch.org/) - present a full list of application icons that the users can use and select the application they want). We can grab the good ideas Gnome has and implement them in other DEs and WMs.

P.

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by entropyfoe » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:03 pm

To PPC, same here, I have not checked it since the Ubuntu early days, and it seemed hard to use relative to Warrens polished KDE versions.

Many times Ubuntu would not even boot or install on my machines, where Mepis was easy.

I never liked the Gnome ways of working, so I never had reason to try repeatedly.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (12 threads @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-18, P4=antiX 19 beta1
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Return to “Chat”