News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

BIOS update Hell

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: BIOS update Hell

Post by i_ri » Wed May 22, 2019 3:28 am

hello sparky
No windows, no F2, no bios, no fun is what you have stated?
And a bios that is sixty days old doesn't have much attention yet.
Did you see the one about starting up on low-battery takes machine to message window? for F1 continue or F2 setup. ? I wonder how low that battery threshold would be? if it is pretty low , then be ready with the power cord. That seems like a circus frantic thing to trial, but maybe it works. repeat trying to start until the battery is so low it gives message screen? We will be crossing fingers for you. there is other mention of removing all bootable devices will start into setup. surely you saw that if you were at dell forum,, where this topic pointed.
but you were into the bios once and set your heart's desire. what to change from that, is a puzzlement.

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by i_ri » Wed May 22, 2019 5:05 am

hello sparky
I wanted to write to say
Nice Notebook. It will be worth whatever disassembly required.
To cover myself here looked up the access boot device hardware procedure.:
ONE screw. to take off bottom panel. I never had it so easy! do it.
You sure have a Nice laptop there.
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/taking-ap ... 7559-7557/
Have you trialed use of boot repair running in tools?
If you have currently bios set to boot usb before hard drives, since F12 is not operable,
i suppose the use of a live mx tools and gparted would let you clone mx and wipe the mx part, then it might start up in windows, access bios, reinstall the mx image. or
mx live boot cheat code to get into windows to get to bios setup if that is how you did before from windows. Use the cheat codes listed under "from=" to get to a windows partition by name or by uuid of the windows install. see wiki. or
fehlix might lesson us on alternative use of new (maybe on the MX-18.3 today?) live antiX live boot rescue tools. or

You simply want into bios, then remove boot device hardware.

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Sparky » Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 pm

disassembling the laptop is too complicated for me. USB devices seem to boot first, If there was a BIOS utility from Dell to just startup from a USB Flash drive and changing the BIOS it would be great. Very sad as it's a very capable machine.
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by i_ri » Wed May 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello Sparky
How about pressing a couple of keys and hold.....*
I thought you expressed want of accessing a working bios. Through running onboard mx was your first choice. did mx tools boot repair make attempt?
usb? maybe the antiX19 new boot rescue can start windows for bios access from within windows advanced shutdown/ startup sequence. i infer you did that once. I also infer the usb startup because you did a mx install?
Now that you mention bios recovery, for bios recovery see the dell support page for the model 7559 for again not one but several options of *bios recovery (1) for 7559 or option bios recovery (2) with optional usb, see frequently asked questions under Support Topics, bios recovery options. bios recovery is the first line under Top Solutions where I am looking.
You indicated you were once in the bios and wanted to get back to it. Does it require recovery if it was working? I know with the F2 button broken it might be classified as not working, but was anything broken inside when you last saw it? windows access might just be a limitation but truly a workaround.
did low battery start-up work? that was a curious solution.
It is a nice computer to spend time working with in any mechanical way or operating way. enjoy the day. at least it has a keyboard. smile. imagine if it was a touchpad tablet. no keys to press.

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Sparky » Wed May 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Apparently there is a way to get to a UEFI bios through Windows. It didin't work on mine as I had both set to Legacy, the UEFI Firmware which takes you to BIOS does not exist. I'm going to try the battery depletion method.

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by i_ri » Wed May 22, 2019 2:28 pm

I think my power settings that are consistently not default would prevent that. I said we would join in crossed fingers for you. Here we go.

my method. used a few times.
It is how to use a windows install media.
Install windows entire drive. download bios to desktop. update bios. install MX linux entire drive.

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Sparky » Wed May 22, 2019 2:50 pm

i_ri wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:28 pm
I think my power settings that are consistently not default would prevent that. I said we would join in crossed fingers for you. Here we go.

my method. used a few times.
It is how to use a windows install media.
Install windows entire drive. download bios to desktop. update bios. install MX linux entire drive.
Thanks for your support! In a time like this when my best computer no longer has access to the BIOS being with friend who cheer you up feels good.
Thanks again!
the 1ST drive has MX on it, but only use it to use GRUB so I can switch 2nd drive of version of MX.
once i Created a Windows Creation Tool Win 10 as most of the help to fix this assumes you have Windows.
I was so in love with this laptop, Dell had to remotely screw it!

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Sparky » Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Is there a way that I can reinstall Win 10 on the 1stdrive and have GRUB link it as an option?
That way I can still use Dell's BIOS update (when available), and If GRUB works Fine I'd have 2 OS without going through BIOS as the USB port is the first that activates.

Return to “Chat”