News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Linux in a Windows world

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Linux in a Windows world

Post by KBD » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Here is Softmaker's data protection policy:
https://www.softmaker.com/en/data-protection

I've found them very generous regarding their product. They recently reset my Linux licenses for me. And they even allow Freeoffice to be used commercially:
https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=316&t=18335

They seem a good bunch of devs from Germany. I have no complaints, and their Freeoffice is not badly crippled like most free versions. These guys are hands-on. I beta tested their 2018 Linux version and have been pleased with their support. I almost never buy software, though I donate to worthy projects occasionally, but I purchased the Linux and Windows version of Softmaker. Anything that keeps me completely free of MS is appealing.
I can tell you that all of my Freeoffice versions I previously used show up in my Licenses so they are using email to keep track of your license--free or not. I don't see anything nefarious going on :) These are generous guys, not trying to rip anyone off :)

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Many years ago, I purchased a license from them. I'm glad they live up to expectations. But today, with plenty of excellent open source office products, why?
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:26 pm

figueroa wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 pm
Many years ago, I purchased a license from them. I'm glad they live up to expectations. But today, with plenty of excellent open source office products, why?
LibreOffice is probably good enough for most users. The issue comes when you need Microsoft files formatting exactly like it is with MS Office. Softmaker/Freeoffice keeps that formatting exactly like the original MS files.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm

KBD wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:26 pm
LibreOffice is probably good enough for most users. The issue comes when you need Microsoft files formatting exactly like it is with MS Office. Softmaker/Freeoffice keeps that formatting exactly like the original MS files.
There is always MS Office online which works through a browser. Some distros (like manjaro) even provide direct links to those online MS Office tools. I think there is a free access version (limited use I assume).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 pm

manyroads wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm

There is always MS Office online which works through a browser. Some distros (like manjaro) even provide direct links to those online MS Office tools. I think there is a free access version (limited use I assume).
Good point. I make use of Office Online at times, also Google Docs. But these are limited when it comes to very large documents or docs that you need more features, options, or specific formatting. The big thing with Softmaker is sharing microsoft files directly with microsoft office users, especially professional, business files in microsoft formatting. Softmaker doesn't break, leave artifacts, or otherwise butch the files as I've seen LibreOffice and software other than microsoft office do.

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:05 am

Softmaker doesn't break, leave artifacts, or otherwise butch the files as I've seen LibreOffice and software other than microsoft office do.
Your mileage may vary. If your having better luck with it, happy trails to you. The main thing that breaks formatting when opening MS Office files in any other app is differences between version (MS Office not being compatible with itself) and not having the identical fonts. WPS Office is another office suite that thinks it's better than open source.

Our job, if you accept it, as open source advocates is convert the other guys away from MS Office, not giving in or the other way around.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

kc1di
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by kc1di » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:09 am

I found it funny when my Son's business changed from one MSoffice suite to the newer one they could not open the older files. So I suggested they try Libreoffice and they have been using it ever since. MS is not even compatible many times with it's self. LO works for 90% of what I need to do , I've used softmaker in the past and it's a good tool also. There are others out there , but LO has always worked well for me. Good luck in your search for others.

P.S. PDF files are also a headache at times and I find Master PDF to handle most of what I need to do.
It's wonderful we all have choices in Linux ;)

svx_biker
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by svx_biker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:35 am

I guess it depends what products from office you use (Word/Writer, Excel/Calc or Powerpoint/Impress) and what functions in there. Excel with tricky macros and VB scripts can cause headache but often also will between different versions of MS office or even Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 10).
Machine: Acer Aspire S5-371
CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U with 8GB RAM
MX-19 Beta-2 with Kernel 4.19.0-6

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mauser » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 am

Since switching to Linux back in September 2015 I haven't needed to use Windows or Windows applications with only one exception. The updates for the GPS in my Subaru requires Windows or Mac. I plan on getting a sizeable USB thumb drive to install the spyware/malware Windows 10 virus on it. Then I can boot off that USB thumb drive just for updating the GPS or anything else that would require Windows. This way my computer won't get infected by that Windows virus since it will stay on the USB thumb drive.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

Mauser wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 am
I plan on getting a sizeable USB thumb drive to install the spyware/malware Windows 10 virus on it.
If you have a Windows 10 Home, I'm afraid that won't be possible. But for Windows Enterprise and Windows Education yes.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... o-overview

Return to “Chat”