Which software/apps do you use most on MX?

KBD

Re: Which software/apps do you use most on MX?

#41 Post by KBD »

megatotoro wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:50 pm This is quite an interesting topic!

I use these apps:

Daily: Firefox, LibreOffice (mainly Writer and Calc), Compiz, Thunar, iBus.
Frequently: Kolourpaint, VLC, Steam, OpenShot, Showfoto, Synaptic, MX-Snapshot, MX-Live USB Maker, Ark, Galculator.
Sometimes: Gimp, LO Impress, Atomic Tanks, the terminal, K3B, Gparted, DOSBox, Wine, MX-Package Installer (when I set up a system), Audacity.
You are not the first to mention Galculator. I use it so much I don't even think about it :) Surprising how often I use that one app.

KBD

#42 Post by KBD »

anticapitalista wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 pm Wouldn't a better post be which DEFAULT apps do you use or which apps NOT included on the default iso do you use?
A poll on default app use might be helpful.

manyroads

#43 Post by manyroads »

@richb & @anticapitalista... I have a script that contains what I remove and what I add that I'm happy to share. I'm 'pretty' certain others have something similar.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

oops

#44 Post by oops »

KBD wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:57 pm
oops wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:00 pm Strange, I see than the veterans use Chrome ... the question is why the choice of this "unanimously adopted" web browser? :confused:
Google as a company is garbage. They have done so many stupid things in the past few years.
I use Chrome because Firefox continually caused me problems. Also I use an Android phone and Chrome gives me a reliable browser with my passwords and links synced across platforms.
Ah OK thanks for the info, I better understand why now ... for "a reliable browser with my passwords and links synced across platforms and Android phone."
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Buck Fankers

#45 Post by Buck Fankers »

KBD wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:01 pm You are not the first to mention Galculator. I use it so much I don't even think about it :) Surprising how often I use that one app.
Anyone using galculator or any other calculator, I suggest you really check out Speedcrunch you may like it ;-)

For example when you type in galculator 55*73 after this, you need to press <enter> to see the result. Not with Speedcrunch, result is already there after you type in last number.

It also has a display history (like typewriter) so you can see what you were calculating. Oh, just double clicking on any past number/result in the display, or in history window and it brings that value down into your current calculation.

In terminal "up" arrow cycle through past entries, SpeedCrunch does it too.

It manages much more digits, has tones of already built in functions, it can do almost anything except making coffee. Check it out.

Edit, see attached screenshot, you can see current result without pressing enter and double clicking on upper screen or right side history will bring that part into bottom entry line where you are doing calculations.

And it is very fast. You may need to go to the options and choose to show history first, can't remember any more. There are other things you can have displayed there instead of history, such as functions if you wish.

Bottom line, after I tried it, I can't use anything else, even if it is for small simple calculation, it always saves you one click or press of the button.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

#46 Post by Richard »

Thanks, @Buck,
That is a really neat calculator.
I've used Galculator only when I couldn't find or have a calculator handy.

Speedcrunch has a world of features --permits editing to add in (), [], etc.
Really handy. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

JeffA

#47 Post by JeffA »

Buck Fankers wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:10 am Anyone using galculator or any other calculator, I suggest you really check out Speedcrunch you may like it ;-)
I've been using SpeedCrunch even from back when I was on Windows, and it was one of the programs I installed immediately since switching to Linux. It's the only calculator I've needed, though I do slightly miss RPN.

Other programs that come to mind other than the popular ones already mentioned (i.e. LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, etc.)

-SpeedCrunch

- KDE Marble

- Gnome-Maps (maybe not as full featured as Marble, but I find it handier in some ways, and haven't found out how to get the detailed satellite maps in Marble like they are in Maps)

- Cartes Du Ciel (Star Charts) (Not as flashy as Stellarium, but full featured, not as resource hungry, and seems more professional and accurate in my estimation. Unfortunately is not in the repos, but easily installed from the website.)

- CherryTree

-KeepassXC

-Gnucash

-DB Browser for SQLite

-GoldenDict (dictionary application)

- SMPlayer (One thing I like is how it will start a DVD in the same spot before you took it out. Maybe VLC can too, but I couldn't figure it out off hand.)

alexjack

#48 Post by alexjack »

In my Favorites apps list:

(d = default app)

Asunder d
Chromium (used with google stuff only)
SpeedCrunch
gThumb
Timeshift
gscan2pdf d
Adobe Digital Editions 4.0 in WINE
Task manager d
Quick system info d
Clementine d
Thunderbird d

I also use a lot:
Kid3 (for music file metadata editing)
Zim
Dropbox
Libre calc d
Featherpad d

I guess no need to mention bedrock tools like SSH, rsync...

zorzi

#49 Post by zorzi »

Almost only default apps...

-Firefox ESR
-Thunderbird
-Transmission
-Asunder
-Quodlibet
-VLC
-Libreoffice 5
-Wine (for Sibelius music edition)
-Featherpad or Mousepad
-Virtualbox

oops

#50 Post by oops »

Richard wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:19 am Thanks, @Buck,
That is a really neat calculator.
Really handy. :)
+1, SpeedCrunch adopted ;-)

@JeefA ... I like "Cartes Du Ciel" too.
Last edited by oops on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “Chat”