-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Hi, new user here!

JamieDoo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Hi, new user here!

#1 Post by JamieDoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm very, very new to Linux. I would say that I haven't discovered it until a few months ago, my experience with Linux was ages ago and was also very minimal, I used to be one of the typical users of Micro$oft and not only that, I used to be kind of afraid of computers lol. Which meant that not only I did not know the concepts of boot, I didn't even know why certain things were slowing down on me or acting the way I didn't liked.

I found Linux right when I was curious about looking for something that would make this netbook that had W7 Pro a bit faster, since it was rather slow on it. So I was all "But is there something like that? No way, that shouldn't exist"....and guala, a google search later proved me entirely wrong, there were distros for netbooks and a whole new world opened to me, from there I began trying distros, live-booting on my USB drive and finding new things that I thought wouldn't be possible!

First Puppy came, nice but a bit hard to use for a newbie, then Lubuntu but I had trouble with start-up. It wasn't until I found Mint that this netbook behaved properly, LM18 to be precise. From there I was looking at summaries of other distros on distrowatch, trying out others and etc. From my Windows world to seeing the "light" as some call it, a new world of possibilities opened to me and I adored this!

From there I tried (mostly on my main PC, netbook I just left LM18, but to another one I instaleld MX and the results were no less than excellent): Manjaro (kind of neat though I broke it after installing KDE on it), Debian, Peppermint, Linux Lite, Ubuntu MATE, PCLOS, etc. until I stumbled upon with MX Linux and hopefully I stay with it (maybe with some BSD seeing as that world is also kind of interesting?)

Great job of the developers to make such a wonderful distro. Everything is consistent, clean and to the point. Making any sort of config doesn't take too long nor restarts and is both stable and fast! the repositories and the MX tools that come with it are also sweet.

The amount of love and effort put into this can be seen just from booting, I hope the devs continue to make a great job with this distro and that future releases are always to improve it more and more!

P.D: As for me. I like me some classical rock, sometimes metal but all of these aren't heard as often as VGM (videogame music) lol. Is funny when I get hype about a 30 or even 20 second loop song if it's that catchy. I can rock me some victory results screen for hours! surprisingly addictive I tell ya, oh and I like medabots, childhood fav of mine.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Hi, new user here!

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

:celebrate2:
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:14 am

Hi, and welcome :happy:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by Artim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:58 am

Welcome!

Like you, I too am frankly ]scared of technology (maybe more so than you or most people). And that's a big part of why I stick with MX-Linux, actually! Because it's simple, rock-stable, not full of spyware and bloatware.

You'll love it!
Greetings from the Bakoo!

JamieDoo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by JamieDoo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Artim wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:58 am
Welcome!

Like you, I too am frankly ]scared of technology (maybe more so than you or most people). And that's a big part of why I stick with MX-Linux, actually! Because it's simple, rock-stable, not full of spyware and bloatware.

You'll love it!
Oh, I read your blogs and it was so cool! In part, it was your contribution and telling of which linux distros are the best for beginners (and the most lightweight too) that I became engrossed with it.

In fact, your recommendations for distros are the ones that got the best experience, stability and performance on me and my computers! I always looked to other distros to see how they were doing but none of them were as friendly nor stable for the common folk as yours, again, thanks

I'm not afraid of trying out new things, if possible, the idea of using anything that requires more handiwork to set up at first is something rather educational and teaches you a lot. I believe that learning your tools and seeing what you can do with them is a freedom only granted by the likes of Linux or the BSD's. Sometimes, is nice being in control of your own tools rather than them controlling you :P, but simplicity is also something that I like so MX Linux got the best of both :number1:

Return to “Chat”