-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Texstar

Caesar2
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Texstar

#1 Post by Caesar2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 am

I just got the news that Texstar isn't doing well. A very respected and well liked member of the Linux community.

https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.p ... 233.0.html
MOTHERBOARD ASUS|F2A85-V PRO A85 FM2 R
PROCESSOR AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD
3.8G 4M FM2 R
MEMORY 8 Gig
Segate 250 Gig

VIDEO CARD - ONBOARD AMD/ATI
TRINITY [RADEON 7660D]
vesa/fglrx BUS: PCI EXPRESS

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Texstar

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:01 am

Wow.. horrible disease!

:(
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by asqwerth » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:08 am

Oh no!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by Artim » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:58 am

I used PCLOS for a bit (to escape systemd) and really liked it. They have a vibrant, enthusiastic community and produce probably the best monthly Linux newsletter there is. What a terrible loss to all of us if Texstar leaves us early. Prayers up for him!
Greetings from the Bakoo!

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by uncle mark » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:11 am

Caesar2 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 am
I just got the news that Texstar isn't doing well. A very respected and well liked member of the Linux community.

Ten years or so ago Texstar was on an unexplained absence for a considerable time and everyone in a position to know was very hush hush about it. Turned out he had been battling cancer, but came back with a clean bill of health. As is often the case, it appears the battle wasn't completely won, but he made the best of the time he was given.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

penguin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by penguin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:25 pm

So sorry. I have no words.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by asqwerth » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm still running PCLinuxOS MATE on one of my partitions.

After Mepis 6.5, PCLOS KDE4 was the second distro to "just work" on my Pentium 4 Dell machine with 1 GB RAM, including desktop effects (although I did have to copy over Mepis' xorg.conf file to get the effects to work).

What sad news.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

davemx
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by davemx » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am

I have been a PCLinuxOS user since version 0.81, a long long time ago. I was aware of Texstar's cancer last time, as secrets go, it wasn't very well kept. It doesn't look good this time. He's put a decent team in place, but without his leadership, I don't know how the future looks.

As a matter of course, I often look at other distros, to see what alternatives there are when the operating system I rely on is so dependent on one person. But PCLinuxOS has survived over the years despite big distros with big companies behind them, that have fallen by the wayside. or made bad decisions, or get taken over!

Until I tried AntiX a few weeks back, I was not impressed by any of them, and hearing that MX was based on AntiX and MEPIS, with an XFCE desktop, was enough to try it, and here I am. Very impressed.

Texstar's history in the Linux world has been productive. He was part of the team behind the "bootable installable live cd", which Mandrake resisted, which led to PCLinuxOS. He was the only champion of "apt4rpm" (enabling Synaptic as a gui) once Mandrake bought out Connectiva, I still can't believe that, having acquired Connectiva, Mandriva persisted with urpmi. Unbelievable!

When Texstar shuffles off this mortal coil, he will have left behind a legacy of "Linux for the masses", long before the multi-millionaires with deep pockets and long reach, got in on the act. Without ever getting rich, or big-headed, or changing who he is, Texstar has touched a lot of lives. He's made a difference. For the better.
Desktop: Mini-Box M350 with Asus H110i-plus motherboard, Pentium G4600 processor, 2TB SSD and 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133
Printer/Scanner: Brother MFC-J5320W
Laptop: Upgraded Lenovo B50-45

Fornhamfred
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by Fornhamfred » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:04 pm

davemx wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am
I have been a PCLinuxOS user since version 0.81, a long long time ago. I was aware of Texstar's cancer last time, as secrets go, it wasn't very well kept. It doesn't look good this time. He's put a decent team in place, but without his leadership, I don't know how the future looks.

As a matter of course, I often look at other distros, to see what alternatives there are when the operating system I rely on is so dependent on one person. But PCLinuxOS has survived over the years despite big distros with big companies behind them, that have fallen by the wayside. or made bad decisions, or get taken over!

Until I tried AntiX a few weeks back, I was not impressed by any of them, and hearing that MX was based on AntiX and MEPIS, with an XFCE desktop, was enough to try it, and here I am. Very impressed.

Texstar's history in the Linux world has been productive. He was part of the team behind the "bootable installable live cd", which Mandrake resisted, which led to PCLinuxOS. He was the only champion of "apt4rpm" (enabling Synaptic as a gui) once Mandrake bought out Connectiva, I still can't believe that, having acquired Connectiva, Mandriva persisted with urpmi. Unbelievable!

When Texstar shuffles off this mortal coil, he will have left behind a legacy of "Linux for the masses", long before the multi-millionaires with deep pockets and long reach, got in on the act. Without ever getting rich, or big-headed, or changing who he is, Texstar has touched a lot of lives. He's made a difference. For the better.
Very well put. As a fellow Pclinux user who has been with the distro since its inception I know Tex will be missed and only hope his team will carry on his legacy, MX to me is proving to be as good a distro if not better.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by Mauser » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Caesar2 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 am

I am sorry to hear that. My mother is going through that now with a different type of cancers. I hope you are going to be an exception in this case and pull through. Best wishes.

Return to “Chat”