-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Finally De-Googled

wulf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Finally De-Googled

#81 Post by wulf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 am

For me, it's the underlying premise that's all wrong...Whilst the majority of people using the internet do nothing that's considered wrong, of course, there are others who do bad stuff. The problem, as I see it, is that the powers that be often know, or have strong suspicions via various forms of intelligence gathering, as to who these individuals or groups are, yet the methodology is to scrape everything in to the net and sift through it. It's tantamount to having the mail guy read our letters before posting them through the letter box. Nobody would put up with that, yet it's precisely what's being implemented as regards data capture, and those co-opted to perform the data capture seem to have been rewarded by being allowed to monetize the said data..

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#82 Post by Mauser » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm

I don't object the forum rules but what I find amazing is how posters tip toe through the mine field of the forum rules on this subject without blow up the "no politics mine". If I would post what I really think about this subject I would set off a "forum rules mine" on the first step. :lipsrsealed:

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#83 Post by KBD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 pm

I thought this was worth posting:

Three Reasons Why the "Nothing to Hide" Argument is Flawed
https://spreadprivacy.com/three-reasons ... is-flawed/

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#84 Post by KBD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:12 pm

wulf wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 am
For me, it's the underlying premise that's all wrong...Whilst the majority of people using the internet do nothing that's considered wrong, of course, there are others who do bad stuff. The problem, as I see it, is that the powers that be often know, or have strong suspicions via various forms of intelligence gathering, as to who these individuals or groups are, yet the methodology is to scrape everything in to the net and sift through it. It's tantamount to having the mail guy read our letters before posting them through the letter box. Nobody would put up with that, yet it's precisely what's being implemented as regards data capture, and those co-opted to perform the data capture seem to have been rewarded by being allowed to monetize the said data..
That bothers me as well. By all means I want these three letter agencies to bust idiots scamming people and doing all sorts of questionable things, but I do not believe they can realistically sift through the tons of stuff they are hoovering up from everyone. And now you see stuff like this:
https://techaeris.com/2018/07/02/nsa-de ... l-records/
They are hoovering up info before they find out if they even have the right to do so.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#85 Post by KBD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Mauser wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm
I don't object the forum rules but what I find amazing is how posters tip toe through the mine field of the forum rules on this subject without blow up the "no politics mine". If I would post what I really think about this subject I would set off a "forum rules mine" on the first step. :lipsrsealed:
The no politics rule is a good one, and I'm glad Rich keeps a close eye on these discussions. I learn a lot from opposite points of view and it is good to regularly question our ideas and views.
But politics is so toxic, especially here in the US, that sane discussions involving it are pretty much impossible.

piperdan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#86 Post by piperdan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:25 pm

My apologies for crossing the line. I have deleted any potential offences from my posts.

Return to “Chat”