-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Finally De-Googled

Be OK
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Finally De-Googled

#21 Post by Be OK » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes use duck duck go but have to say it find much less and videos is only youtube yuck.Also a minus is the country select does not work and the time you can set for searches one month or shorter pfff.

piperdan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#22 Post by piperdan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am

Came back to firefox with start page. Not quite as fast,but good enough, even opening with firejail.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Post by Mauser » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm

piperdan wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am
Came back to firefox with start page. Not quite as fast,but good enough, even opening with firejail.
Now type about:config in the browser address field and scroll down to tool kit and disable all of the telemetry.

vince_ita
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#24 Post by vince_ita » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:37 pm

First of all: Protonmail is such a great discovery! Thanks guys! :number1:

Secondly, regarding openmaps I find it still a bit difficult to rely on an app that doesn't have a reliable mobile app. At the moment I am using HereweGO maps from NOKIA. Its navigation system is SPOT-ON! :happy:

In terms of mapping, I am so curious to know what will Librem5 use as default mapping and navigation app

piperdan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#25 Post by piperdan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Mauser wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm
piperdan wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am
Now type about:config in the browser address field and scroll down to tool kit and disable all of the telemetry.
Done, Thanks.

I trust that was good advise, and disabling all the telemetry screw something up.......?
I suppose I could always re-enable or re-install if needed.

PondLife
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#26 Post by PondLife » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:34 am

The web site “https://www.privacytools.io” has a section Firefox: Privacy Related "about:config" Tweaks (at the bottom of the page) plus links to the EFF which test your browsers security.

And another +1 for Protonmail, have used them for a couple of years now with no problems.
MX-17.1_x64 | i3-4360T | 4GB RAM | Samsung 250GB SSD

xali
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#27 Post by xali » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:19 am

vince_ita wrote:Secondly, regarding openmaps I find it still a bit difficult to rely on an app that doesn't have a reliable mobile app
did you try osmand ?

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Post by KBD » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:46 am

PondLife wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:34 am
The web site “https://www.privacytools.io” has a section Firefox: Privacy Related "about:config" Tweaks (at the bottom of the page) plus links to the EFF which test your browsers security.

And another +1 for Protonmail, have used them for a couple of years now with no problems.
Protonmail has proven very solid and reliable for me as well.

clicktician
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#29 Post by clicktician » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:04 pm

How do you know you're no longer using Google?

It seems to me that without a comprehensive and constantly-updated list of IP addresses that resolve to Google equipment, one would have no idea if they're using a Google server.
Google is one of the largest Cloud and Web hosting companies in the world. I don't know a lot about networking, but I do know that a domain name is just a logical expression that has little or nothing to do with physical gear you're blasting your information to.

It's easy for me to imagine I use Google servers many times a day with absolutely no clue I'm doing it. Heck, I probably use GoDaddy equipment, too, and am completely unaware.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

vince_ita
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#30 Post by vince_ita » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:06 pm

xali wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:19 am
vince_ita wrote:Secondly, regarding openmaps I find it still a bit difficult to rely on an app that doesn't have a reliable mobile app
did you try osmand ?
Yes and unfortunately I had an issue with my phone; it kept on losing the GPS location

Return to “Chat”