-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Finally De-Googled

piperdan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Finally De-Googled

#1 Post by piperdan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Day two of the following. so far....so good.
Chrome -> Firefox
Gmail -> protonmail
Google Drive -> Dropbox
Google search engine -> Duckduckgo

Things aren't quite as quick and snappy as with an integrated system, but OK.
The only hassle was I mis-typed my new email address into this forum's profile, and screwed up being able to log-in again. I was a new member (was djmclaws) with only about a few posts anyway, so I just made a new account.
Last edited by piperdan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Finally De-Googled

#2 Post by rich » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice! For some reason I thought protonmail was taken down a while back. I think my biggest thing would be using DuckDuckGo, I use Google Search all day and I'm pretty used to it.
MX 17.1 Dell Inspiron N5110

xali
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by xali » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm

youtube→hooktube.com (just change the address in the url bar with hooktube.com instead of youtube and leave the rest as it is)
google maps→openstreetmaps.org

cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by cyrilus31 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:50 pm

There's a french association whose motto is : "let's de-google the Internet"
They have developed many services created with open tools to replace Google services.

For those who know Asterix there's a funny map displaying their evolution :cool:
Last edited by cyrilus31 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by KBD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm

piperdan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 pm
After multiple reasons (I won't bore you with the details), I decided to wean myself from big brother :bagoverhead: . Day two of the following. so far....so good.
Chrome -> Firefox
Gmail -> protonmail
Google Drive -> Dropbox
Google search engine -> Duckduckgo

Things aren't quite as quick and snappy as with an integrated system, but OK.
The only hassle was I mis-typed my new email address into this forum's profile, and screwed up being able to log-in again. I was a new member (was djmclaws) with only about a few posts anyway, so I just made a new account.
Good for you!
I've been trying to do the same over the past year or so. I've switched to Firefox from Chrome, only using Chromium as a back up if a page won't work correctly on FF. I use Startpage for search instead of Google, and sometime Duck Duck Go. Got rid of all but one of my Chromebooks and converted it to full Linux. My Android smartphone is mostly just used as a phone with very few apps on it, no Google search, and FF for browser. My tablet is a 10" Amazon Fire tablet. I have 2 Chromecasts, but rarely use them and one is not connected. I deleted everything Google had stored about me and shut off all the collecting under privacy settings. Gmail is a pain because even if you don't use it--everyone else does and your email still ends up on Google servers. Still, I have moved my important email accounts to Protonmail and Tutanota.
It is hard to get free of Google, but not impossible.
Again, good job!

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by KBD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:56 pm

rich wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm
Nice! For some reason I thought protonmail was taken down a while back. I think my biggest thing would be using DuckDuckGo, I use Google Search all day and I'm pretty used to it.
Try startpage:
https://www.startpage.com/
it is Google search without the spying. You can add startpage as a search engine.

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by rich » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Hmm, this could be interesting, if nothing else I think it's (startpage) giving me untailored results. Could be a useful alternative.
MX 17.1 Dell Inspiron N5110

wulf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by wulf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:21 pm

xali wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm
youtube→hooktube.com (just change the address in the url bar with hooktube.com instead of youtube and leave the rest as it is)
Nice!...Just installed the addon Hooktube Redirect for Waterfox and it works like a charm. Σας ευχαριστώ!

piperdan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by piperdan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm

xali wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm
hooktube? Never heard of it. Thanks, I'll check it out.

wulf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by wulf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 pm

I stll think that the best method of De-Googling for those who use Firefox based browsers, is to modify settings in about:config, but it's an arduous process to finely tune a compromise that eradicates most of it without breaking stuff...Trace is an interesting addon I recently started using in conjunction with Ublock origin et-al, and I'm quite impressed with it up to now..

Return to “Chat”