-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MS Buying Github

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MS Buying Github

#51 Post by Mauser » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Adrian wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm
anticapitalista wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm
Adrian wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 pm

That sucks, it will makes collaboration more difficult. See, that's exactly what I was talking about, fear of uncertain future (that might not even bring anything bad) is leading to decisions that make things worse in the present. :frown:
You mentioned FUD - LOL
There isn't that much shared code nowadays.
LOL. Whatever shared code we have it is going to be harder to do it. That's pretty objective, not FUD, you'll have code on gitlab, MX or at least I will have my code on github, objectively that makes things harder so there's probably going to be less shared code if anything. But that's OK, if you don't need my code and/or if you are going to put up with the integration issues (no pull requests and such between different git hosting services) that's fine with me.
That could very well be Microsoft's reason for buying GitHub. Microsoft is using a notorious Communist tactic, "Divide and conquer."

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#52 Post by anticapitalista » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Adrian wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm
anticapitalista wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm
Adrian wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 pm

That sucks, it will makes collaboration more difficult. See, that's exactly what I was talking about, fear of uncertain future (that might not even bring anything bad) is leading to decisions that make things worse in the present. :frown:
You mentioned FUD - LOL
There isn't that much shared code nowadays.
LOL. Whatever shared code we have it is going to be harder to do it. That's pretty objective, not FUD, you'll have code on gitlab, MX or at least I will have my code on github, objectively that makes things harder so there's probably going to be less shared code if anything. But that's OK, if you don't need my code and/or if you are going to put up with the integration issues (no pull requests and such between different git hosting services) that's fine with me.
So, it is the same for you since you will not need to do anything different whether antiX uses github or gitlab.
As I see it, the only integration issues for the 2 projects will be with the new gazelle installer, lum and partition-info.
The last 2 are unlikely to change.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

LnoyBoy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#53 Post by LnoyBoy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:23 pm

To me, it's pretty obvious that phones have kicked MS in the... stomach.

It's not obvious to me that they have a clearly defined plan going forward. And it's extremely hard for me to accept that they are seriously moving towards open source.

Until this thread, I wasn't aware that they were getting involved with Ubuntu. :mad:

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#54 Post by Adrian » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:34 pm

I wasn't aware that they were getting involved with Ubuntu.
What do you mean by that? You mean being able to install Ubuntu on Windows? But that's also possible with Debian, look here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/debia ... verviewtab

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#55 Post by skidoo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:55 pm

That sucks, it will makes collaboration more difficult.
Because I haven't used the advanced git features, maybe I'm blind to "how will suck". I really expected the workflow would be (would remain) same.

When importing to gitlab, you can even choose to set a perpetual auto-sync for some/all projects ~~ so that changes from the "elsewhere" repo will be checked/synced every 10 minutes. Aside from setting rules governing project::committer rights at the new hosted instance, I don't foresee the necessity of further changes to the established workflow.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#56 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:39 pm

I "get" Adrian's position. It makes sense to have a wait and see attitude before bailing on GitHub, at least in the short term.

That said, MSFT has proven to be ruthless when it comes to extinguishing their competition. I personally am not convinced they have anyone's best interests at heart except their own. (Which is to be expected, they're a business, not a charity or a "community".) Those interests may correspond with the interests of the open source community. But if they don't, MSFT will have no compunction about doing what they need to do to gain an advantage.

MSFT is like an abuser that claims he has changed and won't act that way any more. Fine. But I'm not taking his word for it. Time -- a lot of time -- will tell.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

kernelkurtz
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#57 Post by kernelkurtz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:42 pm

anticapitalista wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 pm
antiX, on the other hand, is in the process of moving its code from github to gitlab.
Thank you (yet again) for dependably making good choices with the direction of your distro.

As far as the theoretical collaboration issues go, I think it's important to remember that this is all just still Git. A developer doesn't have to live at *Lab or *Hub or whatever to clone up a batch of code from either place. These services are just a question of who owns the servers on the remote end of the equation. Hard to see how that throws much of a monkey wrench into the works.

sdibaja
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#58 Post by sdibaja » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:11 pm

GitLab aka GitLab Inc. has an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitLab#History
I wonder how it is actually operated.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

xali
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#59 Post by xali » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:18 pm

anticapitalista wrote:antiX, on the other hand, is in the process of moving its code from github to gitlab.
awesome. adrian has some strong points i admit, but i definitely cannot share his great optimism and patience. of course everyone knows better for himself.
cyrilus31 wrote:developers should wait and analyse situation before moving.
the way i personally see it there is nothing to analyze and wait. microsoft bought it, it is obvious (for me) that you have to stay away as far as possible.
mauser wrote:Microsoft is using a notorious Communist tactic, "Divide and conquer."
that is not (only) communistic, in fact it was said and applied since antiquity. but i agree with the core of your point

just a simple user's opinion guys

clicktician
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#60 Post by clicktician » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:01 pm

I am no expert on software devel. Know absolutely nothing. But I did formulate a different view from listening to the biz analysts at the office:

Github is a private company and doesn't disclose a lot of financials. The VC investors did say they suffered from cash-burn bonfires, but didn't elaborate. They only have 700 employees, so the cash wasn't going to payroll. (At least I hope not!)

They told Forbes and CNBC that last year their annual run rate was $110 million from their Enterprise business accounts. By my quick math... that means 98.05% of their 23.1 million accounts are freebies. Yikes! 2% of their business ops float the whole thing.

IMHO, Github was suffocating under the expense of its own popularity. Something had to happen to redistribute the burden of open source development over a much larger revenue base. They either needed a white knight with deep pockets, or a predator to stir the pool and spread the load over the other providers.

They did both. And I think this rebalance in the eco-system will make the open source world a lot healthier. Distribute projects over more providers. Make opportunity for competitors. And diversify it. But then, I'm not a developer and I'm not emotionally invested. Does Microsoft have ulterior motives? We shall see. I do know that the top Github Enterprise users like Red Hat, Amazon, and Google seem very calm and supportive for this to have been a horrific surprise. Yes, there's probably a plan, but it's not what any of us are thinking.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Return to “Chat”