-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

GTK3 slowing things down

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

GTK3 slowing things down

#1 Post by KBD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Just came across this showing the difference between various desktops on Ubuntu 18.04:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comment ... u_lubuntu/
scroll down a bit to see the text chart. I know Gnome is good at screwing things up, but what happened between gtk2 and gtk3? KDE is now a lightweight DE compared to Xfce and MATE.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: GTK3 slowing things down

#2 Post by Stevo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:37 pm

That's Xubuntu's bloated XFCE at 515 MB--anyone running our 64-bit MX can see that it's using less just by looking at Conky (which itself is using some extra RAM)

BTW, the new enlightenment 0.22 from the test repo shows 220 MB in conky on 32-bit MX.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by KBD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Stevo wrote:That's Xubuntu's bloated XFCE at 515 MB--anyone running our 64-bit MX can see that it's using less just by looking at Conky (which itself is using some extra RAM)

BTW, the new enlightenment 0.22 from the test repo shows 220 MB in conky on 32-bit MX.
I have always found Xubuntu's Xfce to run heavier than on Debian. That's awesome about Enlightenment. Lubuntu did incredibly well out of all the Buntu's. Was impressed that Kubuntu did the next best. Main Ubuntu is a ram hog though :(

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by skidoo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18 pm

the too-casual comparison doesn't take into consideration:
Which services were autostarted (adding overhead) in Kubuntu? in Xubuntu?

Further down that linked reddit topic, an Xubuntu user linked a screenshot, indicating 372MB
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comment ... tu/dy7mls2

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by KBD » Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm

skidoo, thanks for pointing that out. Some also got the same results as from the video, so it makes me wonder what the difference could be, maybe swap turned on? I notice on some machines even with enough ram swap will be on running a small amount, picking up a little slack. But it could be something else as well. The thing that stood out to me was that KDE has really cleaned up its act and is running much lighter, my experience running Kubuntu 18.04 tells me the same. Ubuntu with Gnome was supposed to fix a big memory leak but the results show it still using lots of ram.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

A 32-bit system will also use less RAM than a 64-bit one, so the posters are really dropping the ball from the very beginning by not letting us know which one they're testing.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by KBD » Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Stevo wrote:A 32-bit system will also use less RAM than a 64-bit one, so the posters are really dropping the ball from the very beginning by not letting us know which one they're testing.
That is a good point. Hadn't even thought of it. More details would have been good.

Return to “Chat”