-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Until we meet again

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Until we meet again

#1 Post by sunrat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:28 pm

I've absolutely loved the last year or so using MX-15 and MX-16 as my main system. It's beautifully stable and efficient, the MX tools are excellent, and this is the friendliest and most supportive distro community in existence.
However I've been a KDE user for most of my Linux user life and had siduction/aptosid/sidux as my main system for most of that. I had problems installing the previous siduction release, which is why I tried MX in the first place, but the latest one worked. While MX KDE spin works fine, I still way prefer Plasma 5, and used MX Xfce while I was here.
The main reason I moved back to siduction for now is the excellent scaling support for my 4K monitor. Every program I've tried so far is the right size. MX is pretty good in this regard but a few programs just wouldn't play ball and were tiny and unresizable. Also I prefer some of the KDE default programs.
MX-16 and MX KDE will still make up 2 of the 5 OSs on my system and I will be back with MX in a heartbeat when you have a Plasma 5 spin, but I guess that will be when you transition to a Stretch base. Hopefully soon! :hug: :goingaway: :happy:

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Until we meet again

#2 Post by Stevo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks for the kind words...now I should find out about Plasma 5 in order to do a repin when we get MX 17, I suppose. :bawling:

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by asqwerth » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:41 am

Good luck and hope we see you again eventually.

In my early years using Linux, I did try out Sidux for a while as it was one of the few distros that worked well OOTB on my PC. Unfortunately I was still new and should not have been trying to maintain a Debian Sid distro. So while it installed and ran well at the start, it began to suffer problems once I began applying updates and finally I gave up on it. But I have fond memories of its snazzy look (red scorpion logo, red wallpaper and red trim) and great manual.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by sunrat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Stevo wrote:Thanks for the kind words...now I should find out about Plasma 5 in order to do a repin when we get MX 17, I suppose. :bawling:
Debian Stretch currently has the same 5.8 version of Plasma 5 as Sid (and siduction), so it may be easy to install with the new Antix alpha as a base. systemd may be harder to avoid though.
I was considering a vanilla Stretch install before siduction was released, but siduction will eventually get 5.9 which reportedly has some nice improvements whereas Stretch will always have 5.8.
No significant bugs so far, just a minor theming one. And the conky config that worked perfectly in MX totally corrupts the desktop so have to look in to that sometime.

Return to “Chat”