-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Say hi and stop lurking :)

linwinux

Re: Say hi and stop lurking :)

#81 Post by linwinux » Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm
Welcome to MX Jeff. I started with the Win before 95 and moved to Linux when Win was about to move on from XP. You should enjoy it here, I have!
I wonder how many hours in my years of Windows I spent trying to get things to work that worked in the previous version, and installing and tweaking security software. The one smart thing I did was gravitate toward cross-platform open source software almost from the beginning, which made my move to Linux relatively pain free.
OMG, how those old memories come flooding back ... First started playing around with a Windows 2.0 machine back in 1990 ... then Win 3.0 ... followed by "getting serious" with 3.11 for Workgroups (LOL). I feel so dated, sniff. Far too many hours with that MS Software, until I finally found my way to Linux. I had Mint XFCE for the past several years, but MX appealed to me so much when I ran across it this year, that I decided it'll be my (hopefully) final distro switch. :happy:

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#82 Post by rich » Thu May 31, 2018 12:22 pm

linwinux wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm
... followed by "getting serious" with 3.11 for Workgroups (LOL). I feel so dated, sniff.
I was a little kid when it originally came out, but now sometimes I'll run 3.11 in DOSBox to play the old game Castle of the Winds
MX 17.1 Dell Inspiron N5110

JeffA
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#83 Post by JeffA » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 am

spidermouse wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 am
Welcome kingocounty and JeffA. Have fun setting your mx xfce4 desktops.
Thanks! Everything is pretty much set up just the way I want it, and I'm enjoying using it. :happy:

After learning a little more about Linux, I think I may have been a little unfair to Mint:
JeffA wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm
Used Mint for about three months, then finally broke down and got a new desktop a couple weeks ago. Loaded it with Mint, and then broke it.
Having a little more experience, I don't think I ever did break Mint, at least not until I thought I had and tried to fix what didn't need fixin'. I think I pretty much just panicked. I could give a little more detail on what I think happened looking back, but it would just show more of my ignorance and thickheadedness. (I'm not going to pretend to be extremely computer literate, which is a big reason I was impressed that Linux was so easy for me to half-way get a grasp on.)

Anyway, I'm glad it made me try MX Linux. Mint showed me how good Linux could be and sold me on it, and if I hadn't panicked and tried MX Linux I'd still be using Mint Cinnamon and thinking it was the greatest thing ever, and not ever knowing that MX Linux suits me just that much more. Maybe if I kept trying more distros I'd find something even better, but I think I'd more likely be pushing my luck. I plan on sticking with MX.

oldgranola
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#84 Post by oldgranola » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello,
Happened to come across comments about MX on redit then youtube while checking out LM-19 beta. MX sure looked nice! so digging deeper. I'm going to give it a try soon as I have a rainy day.

My top question so far is how well does it handle modern AMD radeon GPU's which is the machine I plan to first try it on?

Computing experience: I am no linux admin expert but have been USING unix workstations like sun, solaris after my workplace replaced the alpha VMS VAX server so very many years ago, now thats gone; and currently ubuntu and LM-mint on a variety of machines some I've home-built. And of course windows xx, ye old mac (since 1986) old apple, PCDOS etc. Though I like tinkering with computers as an end in itself some, I am not religious about any OS except that I find current Mac irritating, just don't like the interface. I have not messed with Arch, gentoo etc not at that level. But I am watching a video right now by English Bob on youtube where he demonstrating custom designing such on an MX-17 machine!

Return to “Chat”