-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Say hi and stop lurking :)

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Say hi and stop lurking :)

#1 Post by sunrat » Fri May 13, 2016 8:23 am

Hi all! I joined the forum a few weeks ago pretty much the same time I installed MX-15 as primary system but made my first post today. That's a good sign of no significant problems so far.
Have been a long time user of siduction and a few other Debian based distros but pretty new to Xfce. I love siduction and KDE Plasma 5 but have limited internet currently and siduction needs a lot of updating. Although I miss some of Plasma 5's features and KDE programs, Dolphin and SoundKonverter for starters, I'm finding MX/Xfce quite friendly and have had little trouble performing most tasks. I do prefer the Breeze Dark Plasma 5 theme although the dark Xfce theme is nice. I don't miss siduction's occasional (usually minor) bugs and glitches but it's not called unstable for nothing. MX-15 with Xfce certainly is a bit quicker and more responsive.
Certainly the main issues I've had to overcome have been from using a 4K monitor and GTX970 graphics card. May update to a new Skylake system soon so open another can of worms there.
So basically I'm very impressed and be prepared for more posts as I run into things, first one was today.
And thanks to Stevo for his regular not-so-subtle plugs for MX on Debian User Forums. :)

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Say hi and stop lurking :)

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri May 13, 2016 9:09 am

Welcome!

There is currently work being done to enhance skylake support over on the antiX-main side of things. That work may or may not carry over into an MX update later in the year, we will see.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by sunrat » Fri May 13, 2016 9:33 am

Thanks! I've read some people have had success with very recent kernels and intel firmware.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by asqwerth » Fri May 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Welcome.

Skylake will work with 4.3.3 liquorix kernel as I tried one such laptop with my prepared snapshot iso.

I didn't try it with the kernel that comes as default with MX15 64-bit, though (I think that's the 4.2 backport).
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb » Fri May 13, 2016 1:33 pm

asqwerth wrote:Welcome.

Skylake will work with 4.3.3 liquorix kernel as I tried one such laptop with my prepared snapshot iso.

I didn't try it with the kernel that comes as default with MX15 64-bit, though (I think that's the 4.2 backport).
It is the 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64. I do not know whether it works with Skylake.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Fri May 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Grumpy dasein over on the Debian forums gently but not-so-subtly threatened me if I didn't promote MX 15 in my sig. He did try my KDE respin, liked it, pointed out the bug in gtk2-engines-oxygen that was causing Pale Moon to crash, and that led to our fixed version.

I'm using the Jessie Dolphin in the MX-15 xfce desktop myself, since I have plenty of RAM on my machine. There are some tweaks you have to do if you want the style and colors to come out correctly--I personally don't care too much about GTK and QT styles matching exactly.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by sunrat » Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks for your comments! Skylake may be a few weeks due to unforeseen burdens on funds this week, but will definitely use a newer kernel when it happens.
I love dasein and look forward to his posts on FDN. May try Dolphin in Xfce but not a major concern, although one annoyance I have in Thunar currently is the file names disappear in details view due to random (?) side scrolling. Maybe another 4K issue?
I also have MX-15 in my sig at Scot's Newsletter Forums where I post regularly in the Bruno's All Things Linux subforum and maintain a Debian Updates thread. :cool:
You have some rockin' smilies here! :guitar:
And you seem like a friendly bunch in here. siduction forums is good but it gets a bit taxing as the majority of posts are in German and need to be translated.

Hermann_the_German
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

stop lurking

#8 Post by Hermann_the_German » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:43 am

Stevo wrote:Grumpy dasein over on the Debian forums gently but not-so-subtly threatened me if I didn't promote MX 15 in my sig.

dude, threats add to the tension that already is in here ... :clown:
:hut:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: stop lurking

#9 Post by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:14 am

Hermann_the_German wrote:
Stevo wrote:Grumpy dasein over on the Debian forums gently but not-so-subtly threatened me if I didn't promote MX 15 in my sig.

first they ask you to come out of hiding & stop lurking...

next thing you know is all your threads get locked for "very good" reasons, huh ?

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: stop lurking

#10 Post by Adrian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:35 am

Hermann_the_German wrote:

I didn't see any tension here, but I see from time to time people who post a lot, disrupt the forum and then vanish into the thin air.

Return to “Chat”