News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SJW's trying to take over Linux? What?!

gbhollr
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

SJW's trying to take over Linux? What?!

Post by gbhollr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D23mYwPkdyw

I only briefly looked into this but apparently the Social Justice Warrior movement ousted LInus Tovalds over something he said on email and now they introduce a "Code of Conduct" to Linux?

I've been researching the SJW movement for the last month since I heard of the sexual misconduct allegations against famed anime voice actor Vic Mignogna. Before then, I didn't take this movement so seriously but, boy, was I in for a surprise!

So what does everyone make of this?

arjaybe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: SJW's trying to take over Linux? What?!

Post by arjaybe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:18 pm

It's specious. They can't "unlicense" the code any more than I can take the creative commons license off my books. I suggest they live by the code of conduct and stop blaming "social justice warriors."
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:01 pm

This is inflammatory BS. For the real story: Torvalds took a self-imposed break to rethink his controversial treatment of others

Or in his own words: Linux 4.19-rc4 released, an apology, and a maintainership note
Linus Torvalds wrote:This is my reality. I am not an emotionally empathetic kind of person
and that probably doesn't come as a big surprise to anybody. Least of
all me. The fact that I then misread people and don't realize (for
years) how badly I've judged a situation and contributed to an
unprofessional environment is not good.

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of
not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been
both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made
it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me.
I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.

The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat
painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my
behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal
behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development
entirely.

I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to
understand people’s emotions and respond appropriately.
Thanks to people who have been working for social justice our world is changing. Less than 250 years ago, the US was ruled by a king. Less than 200 years ago it was socially acceptable to own slaves in many parts of the US. Less than 100 years ago women were not allowed to vote.

When I was in high school and even in some of my earlier work environments it was socially acceptable to say many mean, demeaning, and derogatory things that are totally unacceptable today. You were almost required to say these things to fit in.
The fact that this is socially unacceptable now is a good thing. The world has been changing for the better for hundreds of years and It is changing for the better in our lifetimes.

The new code of conduct is reasonable. Linus' previous behavior was not. If it is no longer socially acceptable to be mean, demeaning and unkind in the LKML then that is a good thing and it fits in with the positive social change we see almost everywhere we look.

Do some people sometimes go too far in their quest for social justice? Yes, of course. This is true for almost every human endeavor. But I don't think that is what happened with this code of conduct. The truth is the world got a little better and some people are up in arms about it.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks, BitJam.
That about sums it up.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-5-686, 150GB HDD

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:10 pm

"Social Justice Warrior" is a pejorative term in and of itself. Nothing to be gained from those who frame their concerns in that form.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Six months old tempest in a teapot...

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 pm

warrior
n 1: someone engaged in or experienced in warfare

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Let's Go Warriors!!!
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

RI2CA
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by RI2CA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 am

Bravo BitJam! For your wisdom and humanity, I've added you as a forum friend! (I'm not sure what that means, but keep up the good work!)

AK-47
Developer

Post by AK-47 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:50 am

I have been watching this debacle since I first heard about it, and I am quite concerned about this. The code of conduct change is unnecessary, over-the-top, divisive, and focused entirely on identity politics. What's really absurd is that there is another document explaining how to interpret it. Sounds familiar?

I think it's great that Linus is working to improve his emotional intelligence, communication and interaction skills, so long as he doesn't pander to political correctness, extremists and cry-bullies. If he plays his cards right, he will get the best for the Linux kernel by getting the best out of community members and also vendors. I have seen communities come and go because those who call the shots forget that contributors are real people with real lives and real feelings. Facts and evidence are more important than feelings, but diplomacy and tact should not be overlooked. The first impression I got from the MX/antiX community is that you guys understand that real people use and develop these systems. No wonder antiX and MX are making it to the top of the list in DistroWatch!

To summarise, they unnecessarily replaced an adequate and simple set of rules with a convoluted, politically-motivated document that needs another document to show how people how the convoluted document is meant to be interpreted. But, as Stevo rightfully pointed out, "Six months old tempest in a teapot." So far there's no evidence that Linux development degrading into chaos yet, but don't let your guard down.
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

Return to “Chat”