News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Certain Linux forums becoming too much like MS?

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Certain Linux forums becoming too much like MS?

Post by turtlebay777 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm not naming any particular distro ( especially not MX/Antix) but has anyone else noticed that certain popular distros forums are becoming increasingly like MS forums, regimented to the point where the admins and experts consider you foolish if you 'go out on a limb' in the best fashion of Linux?

Have they truly forgotten what Linux is about?

Seemingly gone are the days of experimentation, when breaking then reinstalling one's system were the norm when trying to get something working. I've said that wrong but you know what I mean, I hope!

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Certain Linux forums becoming too much like MS?

Post by Paul.. » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Yes, we like breaking things...Because...well...we get to fix them.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

skidoo
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by skidoo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 am

Yes, [redacted], I share your observation. My guesstimation as to what has transpired is this:
The brainpool has been drained ~~ nearly all the hardcore tinkerers have left the plaform, in favor of xda-developers (android) or whatever non-linux-desktop-platform. Linux desktop O/Ses are, I believe, regarded by most as a "should just work, without tinkering" commoditized product. Across the user-to-user forums, I notice a divide: on one side, the " tried for xx seconds and got frustrated so I'm posting to ask" noobs who give up too quickly crowd and, on the other, a "sheesh, it's been asked nn times previously but few bother to websearch" (or "sheesh, it's stated right there in documentation but no one bothers to read it") crowd. I'm not naming any particular names, of course. {wink}

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Artim » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 am

It's the one-size-fits-all model that has become the norm now for most of the big piopular distros. Tinkerers are relegated to "niche" distros nowadays I guess. The efforts to increase Linux's "market share" on the desktop have helped bring this about too.
For me it's so easy to just re-install from a previous backup that it's worth taking a little risk now and then, and if it breaks, no big deal. Breaking it and learning how to fix it, without all that pressure of having to spend a whole day starting over from scratch, can even be a little bit fun!

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 am

I have to say I see it quite differently.

I see a flood of unhappy technophobes attempting to flee Windows and find 'nirvana' in a Linux which resembles and functions much like Windows, only better. These same people are, oftentimes, fearful of having to climb a fairly steep learning curve to figure out how linux 'actually' works and then bend it to their needs. In this process, they provide a flood of questions and grumbles which, rather than enticing help, simply engender a 'frustrated' backlash from many Linux aficionados.

But then, what do I know? I'm just an old cranky geek. :bagoverhead:
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
MX-18 5.0.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64-smp x86_64
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 24GB SSD: 978.09 GB
Reg. Linux User #449130

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:29 am

Sometimes the changes happen in forums due to them having become the main support center for a very popular distro. Managing the large numbers of users can be quite difficult (depending on how much good volunteer help you can rely on).

Rules get made to lighten the load.
I understand it. (I don't like it.)

I've found the best distro forums to be when a distro is young & still finding its feet (not always though). There can be a certain quality of innocence, enthusiasm & camaraderie in those early days. It usually gets diluted & disappears, as a distro matures. The ambiance can change from "think of all the great things that we will be able to do". To having lots of people needing help & many complaining about things that aren't the way that they would like them to be. imho ;)

Still, I've never found any distro forum that reminded me of the mercenary attitude that pervades the MS realm.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

seaken64
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seaken64 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 am

Maybe it's partly due to the phenomenon that people tend to complain more than they praise. And add the volume of participants, and the "tone" tends to get skewed. The patient and reasonable people stay quiet and the yellers and complainers remain vociferous.

Personally, I haven't noticed any real difference from any distro forums. But then again, I tend to read and lurk a lot, and I do not participate in more than a few forums so my experience may not be that valid. And I haven't noticed a difference between MS and Linux distros. I've seen good and bad in both spaces. It's human nature. Birds of a feather flock together.

I've got a lot of good stuff out of some pretty contentious forums, whether they be MS focused or Linux focused. Sometimes the tone is acidic but the info is good. And I tend to tilt toward geek but I am primarily a user. I see a lot of complaining on both sides but for me Linux still works, even if the tone of a forum seems less than I would like. It's true that some forums seem to be less than ideal and less tolerant of experimental paths and breakage. But I've never related that to being more MS-like. I've been to some pretty geeky experimental type forums that were MS focused. That some Linux forums should be more focused on desktop nirvana and the zen of computing is not surprising. I'm not convinced there is a trend in one way or another.

Seaken64
MX-18 on Thinkpad R61i Core2 Laptop. MX-18/W7 on HP Core2 Desktop
Xubuntu 18.04 on HP i7 Core4 Laptop - MX VM, antiX VM, W7 VM
antiX-17 on Compaq P-III Desktop, Multi-boot Slackware, Debian, MX, W2K
antiX-17 on Celeron M Laptop Dual-boot with XP-SP2

crazysquirrel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by crazysquirrel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 pm

When Linux looks like MS windows 10 it is hard to tell the difference.

I will use Linux or win7 or older depending on the reason.

People do tend to get aggravated over things. Myself included for which I feel bad about it.

IMHO any linux before Plasma, before 18, before the style of win 8 and newer is what set linux apart from MS.

And that may be some of the problems.
Mx 17.1, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, 2TB hybrid Seagate + other storage drives.

I need multisystem just like the one I can get for *buntu derivatives. Not the *.iso one. I am allergic to command line.

seaken64
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seaken64 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm not sure but I think the topic is about the tone of the forums and not the Linux distro itself, or it's interface. Is there a clear relationship between the distro interface, or the chosen desktops, and the tone of the forum that support those visual ideas?

Seaken64
MX-18 on Thinkpad R61i Core2 Laptop. MX-18/W7 on HP Core2 Desktop
Xubuntu 18.04 on HP i7 Core4 Laptop - MX VM, antiX VM, W7 VM
antiX-17 on Compaq P-III Desktop, Multi-boot Slackware, Debian, MX, W2K
antiX-17 on Celeron M Laptop Dual-boot with XP-SP2

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 pm

@seaken64 +1
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
MX-18 5.0.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64-smp x86_64
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 24GB SSD: 978.09 GB
Reg. Linux User #449130

Return to “Chat”