Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New Buntu's

Message
Author
User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

New Buntu's

#1 Post by KBD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:06 pm

The new Ubuntu and spins of Ubuntu 18.04 released today. Looking at the announcements and reading the release notes I have to say I am not much impressed. There is one stand out though, Kubuntu, and I was curious to see what it looks like so I did a minimal Kubuntu install. I like that option in the installer to do a minimal install without all the apps as I don't use several of them. Pretty impressed with KDE on Kubuntu. I haven't used it in awhile and it both looks nice and handles well. To me it is the only polished Buntu version out of the box. Those ugly icons and themes across most of the Buntus make Ubuntu look old and dated. Especially compared to Kubuntu. Will also add that MX looks much better by default than all the new Buntu's IMO.
Anyone else take Ubuntu 18.04 for a spin?

User avatar
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 am

Re: New Buntu's

#2 Post by azrielle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Tried Xubuntu live. Looks ok. Couldn't get an MX install on an HP15 Laptop to show up. Decided to try a distro that has paid the squeeze to Microsoft to install onto secure boot enabled uefi. Will report back.
Acer V5-171 i5/3317u 12GB 11.6" MX17.1/Korora26/SolydX9/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" Parrot 4.01 Studio/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 240GB SSD
Acer AO D257 Atom/n570 2GB 10" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

User avatar
Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 am

Re: New Buntu's

#3 Post by Artim » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 am

azrielle wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 pm
Tried Xubuntu live. Looks ok. Couldn't get an MX install on an HP15 Laptop to show up. Decided to try a distro that has paid the squeeze to Microsoft to install onto secure boot enabled uefi. Will report back.
Xubuntu used to be the distro I always "ran home to" when something messed up on other distros. It's wonderful! But the whole "borked after updating" thing is the reason I don't dare use any 'buntu anymore. And if I had to, I wouldn't use it with a safe way to update it like Linux Mint's updater. I actually put PeppermintOS on a friend's computer before I discovered MX, and it has Mint's updater! At least she's "safer" from that dangerous upstream beta stuff.

Awaiting your report, @azrielle!
Greetings from the Bakoo!

User avatar
oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Re: New Buntu's

#4 Post by oops » Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 am

Hi,
The main reason I have migrated to MX is than Xubuntu 18.04 LTS is now suported only for 3 years instead 5 before (after, the repository will be closed) and it is only available for 64 bits versions now. And also for the MX-Tools without the not user friendly system.d. system.
And until right now, I am very satisfied with MX-17. Congratulations to the team. :number1:
$ inxi -S : System: Host:XEON Kernel: 4.16.0-xeon-01.efi x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 - Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon


User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4972
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: New Buntu's

#5 Post by uncle mark » Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm

KBD wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:06 pm
The new Ubuntu and spins of Ubuntu 18.04 released today. Looking at the announcements and reading the release notes I have to say I am not much impressed. There is one stand out though, Kubuntu, and I was curious to see what it looks like so I did a minimal Kubuntu install. I like that option in the installer to do a minimal install without all the apps as I don't use several of them. Pretty impressed with KDE on Kubuntu. I haven't used it in awhile and it both looks nice and handles well. To me it is the only polished Buntu version out of the box. Those ugly icons and themes across most of the Buntus make Ubuntu look old and dated. Especially compared to Kubuntu. Will also add that MX looks much better by default than all the new Buntu's IMO.
Anyone else take Ubuntu 18.04 for a spin?
I took Kubuntu for a live test run and was impressed as well. I'm still looking for a native KDE to replace my ol' reliable M11, and both Kubuntu and Mint KDE check nearly all the boxes.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: New Buntu's

#6 Post by KBD » Wed May 16, 2018 5:15 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm
I took Kubuntu for a live test run and was impressed as well. I'm still looking for a native KDE to replace my ol' reliable M11, and both Kubuntu and Mint KDE check nearly all the boxes.
Kubuntu also reminds me of the old MEPIS11. Would love to see a modern Debian reincarnation of M11.

User avatar
Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Re: New Buntu's

#7 Post by Danum » Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm

I took Kubuntu for a live test run and was impressed as well. I'm still looking for a native KDE to replace my ol' reliable M11, and both Kubuntu and Mint KDE check nearly all the boxes.
Try KDE Neon, built by KDE developers on a Ubuntu base, new release should be out in the next week or so.
https://neon.kde.org/
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4972
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: New Buntu's

#8 Post by uncle mark » Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Danum wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm
uncle mark wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm
I took Kubuntu for a live test run and was impressed as well. I'm still looking for a native KDE to replace my ol' reliable M11, and both Kubuntu and Mint KDE check nearly all the boxes.
Try KDE Neon, built by KDE developers on a Ubuntu base, new release should be out in the next week or so.
https://neon.kde.org/
Thanks Danum. Good to see you. Hope all has been well. I've heard good things about Neon. I take it they're putting out a new spin based on *buntu 18.04? What would distinguish it from Kubuntu?
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Re: New Buntu's

#9 Post by sunrat » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm
I'm still looking for a native KDE to replace my ol' reliable M11, and both Kubuntu and Mint KDE check nearly all the boxes.
I did an experiment with Plasma 5.12 from NeptuneOS repos installed on MX-17.1. It seemed to work fine but I don't think it's ideal to mix it with MX as some of the MX tools are for Xfce.
What worked really well was installing from the same repo on a Debian Stretch netinstall.
However my long-time favourite and main system is still siduction, currently on KDE Plasma 5.12.5. Recommended! https://forum.siduction.org/

Stevo has also been threatening to do a proper MX KDE remix for recent Plasma.

User avatar
dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 am

Re: New Buntu's

#10 Post by dreamer » Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Artim wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 am
But the whole "borked after updating" thing is the reason I don't dare use any 'buntu anymore.
This was one thing that scared me away from 'buntu. There were too many posts about functionality that stopped working after small updates or kernel patches. No one knew what was going on, not even really technical people. I tend to think that smart people build simple systems, because the cost of complexity is exponential and really hard to overestimate.

That's also why I like Xfce. It's full featured, but not over-engineered. It's built with modularity in mind. KDE still isn't very modular. Lots of things to like about KDE, but one of the reasons I use Linux is a search for simplicity.

I do like universal packaging for Linux because of simplicity and less work of building distro-specific packages. When I mentioned AppImage and Flatpak I also felt the need to mention Snap. Fact is that I have never liked Snap. It auto-updates which is a potential security vulnerability. Many 'buntu users are also skeptical of Snap and uninstall snapd which is a good thing to do I think. A Store makes people think it's a safe place but the recent malware tells us it isn't. Universal packages should always come directly from the source (LibreOffice for example) and be open source (open source is still your best insurance).
Last edited by dreamer on Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat”