-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Advanced Search

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Advanced Search

#1 Post by rokytnji.1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 am

I was going to look for a old thread I posted in back when the forum was Mepis Lovers on the different site then. I realize and know the forum is on a different server and name now.

Anyhows. Using the advanced search on the bottom and just using the search term "tanks"
I found no joy in my results on the forum search feature on this forum.

So I tried my tried and true search way of doing this kind of thing.

Code: Select all

tanks site:forum.mxlinux.org
This is not a terminal command. I put that in code tags to keep text correct and just to seperate
the the search term from the post.

My results in the screenshot below:

Bummed me out a just a little when I saw it did not make it with move over to the new forum.
News

Fast news: @MX_Linux
Mepis support still here

Current releases

MX-16 release info here
antiX-16 release info here

New users

Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
Read Forum Rules

Information

The requested topic does not exist.
But I understand how difficult work is in real life. So I don't sweat the small stuff.
So I guess that is why advanced search did not bring me any results when I looked
for older threads I posted in. ;)

This story/episode is just info for any users that think advanced search may be broken or whatever.
Maybe some other more experienced search type users can show how they find their
old replies on this forum.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Advanced Search

#2 Post by eemaestro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 pm

If your keyword tanks denotes a topic that troubled you in the past, perhaps it is time to bring that topic forward again for discussion here today?

When searching for my previous challenges, I typically use the "View your posts" button, which goes back longer into the past than I can remember. I really like this feature. If this feature were absent, I'd waste a lot of time copying and pasting text so I don't ask the same question twice.

I have used the forum's search, but cannot recall finding something useful with it. Still, I type the text and push the button.
Last edited by eemaestro on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 pm

A couple months ago we pruned older posts as the database was becoming unmanageable and it could not be backed up because of its size. We assessed that backups were more important than retrieval of very old posts that were seldom if ever accessed. Frequent backups are performed so we do not end up dead in the water if there is a catastrophic failure.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by rokytnji.1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:09 pm

If your keyword tanks denotes a topic that troubled you in the past, perhaps it is time to bring that topic forward again for discussion here today?
No. It was a thread started by a new Mepis convert and he wanted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkTanks

http://www.garagegames.com/products/download/12

To work in Mepis but did not know how to go about it. I was just curious because I did a install of it in AntiX and showed him steps on how I did it. He got it working after I showed him how.

I was going to print a saved .pdf file of that old thread for my records. But like I said. No biggy.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by skidoo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:46 pm

rok, refer to your screenshot of the google search result page.
Beside the second result item, see the downward-facing green triangle at right side?
It's an icon indicating that google has a cached copy of that destination.
Clicking opens a dropdown; the link to google's archived copy is labeled "Cached"
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:52 pm

skidoo wrote:rok, refer to your screenshot of the google search result page.
Beside the second result item, see the downward-facing green triangle at right side?
Clicking opens a dropdown; the link to google's archived copy is labeled "Cached"
Good tip.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by skidoo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm

richb wrote:A couple months ago we pruned older posts as the database was becoming unmanageable
okaybut... now, after pruning, need to reindex the search (or something).
check it out:
Perform a search for "cheat".
54 pages of search results. Navigate to Page54 (and/or pp 53, 52, and other pages linking to relatively older posts)
Many of the entries (and, confusingly, not necessarily in consecutive order) lack clickable links.

As a separate followup consideration, consider using phpmyadmin (or manual mysql op, via commandline) to search/replace instances of strings
[ url ] ...mepiscommunity.org... [ /url ]
within the `phpbb_posts` table https://wiki.phpbb.com/Tables

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Yes it needs to be re-indexed. We are aware of that. On the list of tasks. Also on the task list is updating the software.
Forum Rules

Rich

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by rokytnji.1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm

skidoo wrote:rok, refer to your screenshot of the google search result page.
Thanks skidoo. I learn something new every day. I see google did not save any other pages but only page 2 on that link. Which is enough actually for my pdf file. Thanks again.

Return to “Regulars”