-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What is tumbler(d) for?[SOLVED]

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: What is tumbler(d) for?[SOLVED]

#11 Post by BitJam » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks skidoo! I take it from IG's response that spacefm is only creating thumbnails for the directories you visit and not scanning the entire system like tumblr is. Mounting the ~/.thumbnails/ directories as tmpfs could be another fix. If you are running live with normal root persistence then this costs you almost nothing. In fstab use "tmpfs" instead of a device node or UUID=xxx or LABEL=xxx.

BTW, in Gentoo there is an option to build spacefm with video thumbnails disabled.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by skidoo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:11 am

check it out:
I can't find a commit wherein the behavior was changed post-v.1.0.3 so this has probably been right in front of my nose all along
(but is not explicitly described in the otherwise thorough spacefm documentation)

Setting "Max Pic Size to Thumbnail" to zero suppresses thumbnail creation
(I tested: suppressed regardless whether the separate [x] "Show Thumbnails" control is enabled, or not)

The thumb indexing behavior I've observed from spacefm is identical to that of "mirage" imageviewer app.
It doesn't scan the drive. Each time you enter (browse) a given dir, it spawns low priority worker threads
which "run out ahead, as time permits" ~~ thumbing all thumbable files in the current working directory
(so that they'll "appear instantly" if/when you scroll or pagedown the view).

caveat: I don't use icons on desktop; spacefm's thumbing behavior may differ when it is started as daemon / desktop manager.

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by BitJam » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks skidoo!
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “Regulars”