-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What is tumbler(d) for?[SOLVED]

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

What is tumbler(d) for?[SOLVED]

#1 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I cannot understand what tumbler(d) is meant to do.
Does it access the internet?

I gather it is something to do with thumbnails in the file manager: my MX14 installation
does not include tumbler but I do see thumbnails in thunar, so why is tumbler included in MX15/16?

This forum (not to mention many others) contains complaints about tumbler's (mis)behaviour.
Why not just ditch it from the default distro?

P.S. Have I put this in the wrong forum category?
Last edited by GuiGuy on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: What is tumbler(d) for?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:16 pm

it generates jpg, pdf, odf, and other "icons" in place of the generic icons in apps like thunar. It also creates the thumbnail images in ristretto, which isn't installed by default in mx.

Its apparently possible to limit the locations that tumbler will check, which might be an interesting solution: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/tumbler
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by BitJam » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 pm

I think tumblr should be disabled by default or removed.

I *think* the idea is to get a head start on creating thumbnails so they show up instantly in directories you have not yet visited. It probably works fine for most people but for the people where it causes problems it is a huge pain.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:49 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:it generates jpg, pdf, odf, and other "icons" in place of the generic icons in apps like thunar. .........
So how did these icons get generated in my MX14 which has NO tumbler ?
Screenshot-8.png
BJ, I agree with you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by skidoo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:16 pm

So how did these icons get generated in my MX14 which has NO tumbler ?
various programs write to and read from path ~/.thumbnails
From your example, looks like you had used mirage or similar imgviewer app & it thumbed the contents of your screenshots SaveAs directory

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by BitJam » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:19 pm

GuiGuy wrote:So how did these icons get generated in my MX14 which has NO tumbler ?Screenshot-8.pngBJ, I agree with you.
As I said, I think tumblr adds thumbnails to directories you haven't visited yet in order to improve performance. If thumbnails don't exist in a directory you visit then they will be added but there may be a log. I think tumblr gets rid of that lag.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks for the information, guys.
I will mark this thread closed and uninstall tumbler from my MX15/16 installations.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by skidoo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:28 pm

the idea is to get a head start on creating thumbnails so they show up instantly in directories you have not yet visited.
Yes, and as of about v1.03, spacefm adds a similar "trying to be too helpful" thumbnail-generating mechanism.
In a live persistent install, the cumulative storage overhead from cached thumbnails can become quite significant,
begging use of the persist-save.excludes patterns /home/*/.thumbnails/* and /root/.thumbnails/*

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by BitJam » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:48 pm

skidoo wrote:Yes, and as of about v1.03, spacefm adds a similar "trying to be too helpful" thumbnail-generating mechanism. In a live persistent install, the cumulative storage overhead from cached thumbnails can become quite significant, begging use of the persist-save.excludes patterns /home/*/.thumbnails/* and /root/.thumbnails/*
Even better would be to disable that feature by default. Do you know how to do this? Erasing them all and then regenerating them all on every boot doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What is tumbler(d) for?[SOLVED]

#10 Post by skidoo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 pm

for tumblerd:
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/tumbler

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/tumbler
cp /etc/xdg/tumbler/tumbler.rc $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/.config/tumbler
then copy the system-wide tumbler.rc file into this dir and edit its content to specify

Code: Select all

[CoverThumbnailer]
Disabled=true
for spacefm: not relevant to MX
https://ignorantguru.github.io/spacefm/ ... al-en.html
from Toolbar menu (in app):
click "Devices" }} "Settings" flyout submenu }} click "Change Detection" and add the selected filesystem to the blacklist.
BUT
doing so "throws out the baby with the bath water".
"Afterward, SpaceFM will not detect changes to files, load thumbnails, or load subdirectory sizes. You will need to manually refresh the file list view to see file changes."
When I whined to ignorantguru about this, his response (rightly so) was "then self-build it with the thumbnailing feature disabled".
(actually, I had 'whined' about the added dependencies dragged in by the thumbnailing feature.)
Erasing them all and then regenerating them all on every boot doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Yeahbut... my POV is that of a paranoic liveboot user.
No I/O overhead is incurred writing to tmpfs, and seeing/knowing which files have been created or changed during the session is "forensically important" to me.

Return to “Regulars”