-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Found KinfoCenter

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Found KinfoCenter

#1 Post by eemaestro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:12 am

Last night I found System......KInfoCenter which brought up a GUI called KDEInfoCenter.
Very nice! It showed me how much memory I had and was using, even which version of X KDE was using.

I like the graphical icons for memory and hard drives when I click Summary:

I am very impressed by this widget. I don't know what DMA channels are, or even IO-ports (why for example, does it list

Code: Select all

0060-0060 keyboard
0064-0064 keyboard
when I only have one keyboard ?)
Shows all USB devices and IEEE1394 devices attached to my computer. Very handy. Nice widget.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Found KinfoCenter

#2 Post by kmathern » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 am

eemaestro wrote:Last night I found System......KInfoCenter which brought up a GUI called KDEInfoCenter.
Very nice! It showed me how much memory I had and was using, even which version of X KDE was using.

I like the graphical icons for memory and hard drives when I click Summary:

I am very impressed by this widget. I don't know what DMA channels are, or even IO-ports (why for example, does it list

Code: Select all

0060-0060 keyboard
0064-0064 keyboard
when I only have one keyboard ?)
Shows all USB devices and IEEE1394 devices attached to my computer. Very handy. Nice widget.
I don't think it means you have two keyboards, I think IO ports 0060 & 0064 are reserved for the PS/2 keyboard/mouse controller. (even when you aren't using a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse)
Some background info here: http://wiki.osdev.org/%228042%22_PS/2_Controller

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Am I correct in thinking that PS/2 uses (or used to use) an Interrupt that was (is?) more lower-level?
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

antiX-Dave
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by antiX-Dave » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:35 pm

lucky9 wrote:Am I correct in thinking that PS/2 uses (or used to use) an Interrupt that was (is?) more lower-level?
I really don't know about this area but my first guesses would be been the main keyboard + number pad keyboard or the main keyboard + media key board. At least that is how it seems to work on my machine in correspondence with /dev/input/by-id etc...

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by eemaestro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:30 am

According to the webpage kmathern posted above, PS/2 uses either polling or IRQ interrupts. This is explained under the heading Recieving Bytes From Device/s[sic]. Sounds like this interface only needs two bytes, one from the keyboard to the PC, and one from the PC to the keyboard. However, the controller also supports multiple byte sequences, e.g. 8 Detecting PS/2 Device Types This interface is new to me.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by lucky9 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:47 am

I found what I was trying to remember here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt ... tecture%29

IRQ 1 was for a keyboard
that was usually PS/2
IRQ 12 was for a PS/2 mouse

This was for one of the old IBM Personal Computers. Nowadays IRQs are assigned by the OS for the most part.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Regulars”