-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

will mepis 12 ever be finished?

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: forget MEPIS - MX is too good

#11 Post by lucky9 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 pm

lonesomepoint wrote:When MEPIS upgraded from 11 to 12, I immediately abandoned MEPIS because I hated KDE 4, and switched to antiX.
Just FYI Mepis 11 was KDE 4-based. But I agree that antiX and MX are great distros. And for those who do prefer KDE, MX is easily converted into a KDE Stable-based OS.

I've found that MX 14.3 in the default configuration does what I need to do really well. At least up to this point I don't feel the need to install KDE. I do have a couple of very capable KDE-based (or converted) distros handy if needed. But MX has grown quite a bit in my opinion. Kudos to all the devs.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by kmathern » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:10 pm

lucky9 wrote:
lonesomepoint wrote:When MEPIS upgraded from 11 to 12, I immediately abandoned MEPIS because I hated KDE 4 ...
Just FYI Mepis 11 was KDE 4-based. ...
As was Mepis 8.5 (released in 2010).

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: will mepis 12 ever be finished?

#13 Post by lucky9 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:41 pm

I've been 'reminded' in the past that Mepis 8.5 was a hybrid even though it was practically all KDE 4.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by lonesomepoint » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:50 pm

lucky9 wrote:
lonesomepoint wrote:When MEPIS upgraded from 11 to 12, I immediately abandoned MEPIS because I hated KDE 4, and switched to antiX.
Just FYI Mepis 11 was KDE 4-based. But I agree that antiX and MX are great distros. And for those who do prefer KDE, MX is easily converted into a KDE Stable-based OS.

[cough] Sorry, I meant MEPIS whatever-it-was (8.5?) upgrading to MEPIS 11; of course I know there's no MEPIS 12, which was the point of this post.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by lonesomepoint » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 pm

MX does have some odd quirks--applications behaving strangely, one of which I've posted on--but I realize it's a new distro. And I don't have the expertise to even be certain the quirks are MX's fault, except that on the one I posted about (Asunder being unable to download CD info), I found that antiX has no such problem.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by joany » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:41 pm

One of the main strengths of MEPIS was right here in this forum, which is still going strong. I was able to create a desktop environment very similar to MEPIS 12 from MX-14 using the meta-package installer and applying a lot of tweaks. So I guess MEPIS 12 is sort of irrelevant to me at this point, although I agree with U.M. that seeing "what might have been" is a little sad.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by eemaestro » Tue May 05, 2015 12:31 am

I have been using MEPIS 12 for about thirteen months. Last week, something strange happened. Part of the desktop taskbar changed color. Not the whole thing. Just part of it. I couldn't figure out what made that happen. I toggled among both desktops. Still there. Then I remembered -- Oh yeah, MEPIS 12 is beta. Guess this shouldn't surprise me. So I shut down the computer and went to bed. I haven't noticed this peculiarity since.

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Post by duane » Tue May 05, 2015 6:37 pm

For me the question is how long before I decide to upgrade my Mepis 12 beta machines.

One of them is already dual booting MX-14.4.
One of them I changed to Jessie before it went stable and so far no problems.
It won't be long before I have to decide what to do with another one.

It is sure nice having options that I like.
I have a couple of old machines that are going to get the new Antix soon.

Thank you devs for all your hard work.
We are lucky to have these options and such a great forum to boot.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Return to “Regulars”