News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

copy dvd to HD playable

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: copy dvd to HD playable

Post by DBeckett » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:09 pm

m_pav wrote:Simply make an iso image of the dvd with k9copy or k3b and use a regular media player to play it.
Thanks for that. I had no idea that could be done so easily.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:27 pm

I've got a movie that will lock-up K9Copy tighter than a wedge. I've tried the Testing version without success. It even will lock-up my cursor. I may take a look at the Sid version next.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by joany » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 am

lucky9 wrote:I've got a movie that will lock-up K9Copy tighter than a wedge. I've tried the Testing version without success. It even will lock-up my cursor. I may take a look at the Sid version next.
Does the movie have 100 or more titlesets? Did you try using Handbrake on it?

My theory is that k9copy tries to duplicate everything it finds on the DVD, including special features, trailers, and dummy titlesets. When k9copy encounters a DVD that is overloaded with titlesets, it simply chokes. On the other hand, Handbrake is able to find the main feature and it goes ahead and rips it.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Siles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Siles » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 pm

thanks to all that commented, specially to M_PAV. This worked but slowly as all I hae are two Atom powered nerbooks(long story).
Siles :clap: :dancingman:
Siles
Registered Mepis User 505527
Dell Precision M6400
16GB memory
MX16.1
Dell Inspiration 1720
4GB memory
MX16.1

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 pm

I will try HandBrake as I've coastered three DL disks trying K9Copy. And yes it has a whole bunch of titlesets. Selecting one did not work. Neither did selecting two or three.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by GoManutd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:02 pm

lucky you can always create an iso file first and see if that works before making coasters... i've found that k9copy may sometimes finish and appear to have properly copied things, only to find the iso file is dorked up beyond belief. been taken to doing this and then testing it with vlc

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by joany » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 pm

lucky9 wrote:I will try HandBrake as I've coastered three DL disks trying K9Copy. And yes it has a whole bunch of titlesets. Selecting one did not work. Neither did selecting two or three.
... and the $64K question is, "Which titlesets should I select?" Normally, I select all of them when I run k9copy because there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which titlesets comprise the Feature Presentation and which titlesets are just garbage. But as you discovered k9copy will freeze or go into an endless loop with one of those "problem disks" even if you only select a few titlesets.

I've always had success with Handbrake when I encounter one of those DVDs that was sabotaged by the entertainment industry. If I need to make an actual DVD disk that can play on an ordinary player, I use Devede to encode the output of Handbrake into DVD format. It's a two-step process, but you might be able to automate it with a shell script that uses pipes. Of course, if you only want to watch the movie on your computer, you don't need to do the second step.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:35 am

Both suggestions are good ones. My unfamiliarity with HandBrake led me on a search of where it puts the output. I found it in Documents after searching for it quite a while. I finally looked at the main page carefully and discovered it that way.
Checking an iso for functioning is really a good idea also.
Now to see if DeVeDe will work the way I do. Or at least, if I can learn what it wants to do.
--Mark Twain

patzy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:45 am

lucky9 wrote: Now to see if DeVeDe will work the way I do. Or at least, if I can learn what it wants to do.
I find DeVeDe is a great program, once you realise that when it starts and you see Title 1 highlighted, you have to click the properties button to input your chosen title. . . . :bagoverhead:

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 am

HandBrake is giving me a 1.1 GB .m4v file out of an 8.5 GB DVD. Is that correct?

If it is then I'm having trouble using DeVeDe to transcode to DVD format. I have to be missing something because it takes 30 to 60 seconds and the result is a 4 MB .iso file. Which can't be right.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Regulars”