-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

copy dvd to HD playable

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: copy dvd to HD playable

#21 Post by GoManutd » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:07 am

you should get some decent compression going from a dvd to mp4 via handbrake. yeah, transcoding a dvd is not a minute job. even with a fast computer it will take some time.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 am

I've kept trying and now I can get it to throw up an error message. It says that SPUMUX is the problem. Anyone know what SPUMUX is? It shows not in Synaptic.

The actual text of the error is: Conversion failed. It seems a bug of SPUMUX.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Post by kmathern » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:27 am

lucky9 wrote:I've kept trying and now I can get it to throw up an error message. It says that SPUMUX is the problem. Anyone know what SPUMUX is? It shows not in Synaptic.
It's installed with the dvdauthor package. (and that's all I know about it)

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:48 am

I can try upgrading to the Testing version of DVDAuthor to see if that resolves things since I've had no previous errors when using K9Copy.

Next thing I'll try is upgrading DeVeDe to Testing.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by joany » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 am

lucky9 wrote:HandBrake is giving me a 1.1 GB .m4v file out of an 8.5 GB DVD. Is that correct?
It probably is correct. The best way to find out is to play the .m4v file on VLC and fast forward to right before the end of the movie to see if all of it is there.
If it is then I'm having trouble using DeVeDe to transcode to DVD format. I have to be missing something because it takes 30 to 60 seconds and the result is a 4 MB .iso file. Which can't be right.
I remember running into a similar problem. DeVeDe is essentially a GUI front end for dvdauthor, so that's the one package you need to focus on. I ended up deleting the DeVeDe package and removing all of its configuration files, which had to be done manually through search and destroy. Then I reinstalled DeVeDe, which brought in all the correct dependencies and reset the configuration files. According to the DeVeDe website, the most recent version is 3.17, but the version I installed is 3.12c-0.0. It's pretty old (released in '09), but it's working fine for me. I think that version came from the Community Repository.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#26 Post by Stevo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:00 pm

DeVeDe uses spumux to create and "mux" in the separate subtitle tracks. Handbrake probably ripped them all from the DVD and muxed them into the m4v file. You may be able to work around the problem by not ripping or writing any of those tracks.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#27 Post by GoManutd » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:12 pm

joany, you may have already tried this, so ignore this post, but with k9copy tilesets if you click on the X on the right hand side of the screen to close the Preview you should see a Selection panel where you can usually select specific groupings of tilesets, e.g. Audio, Subtitles, etc.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#28 Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 pm

I'll try removing and reinstalling DeVeDe after I take a nap. Wheezy had no upgrade for it in debian multimedia. Will change Preferences and try again later.

I've chosen what I think will work in K9Copy and am going to let it run. I'll check it when I get up using vlc.
--Mark Twain

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by Stevo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 am

DeVeDe 3.17.0 is in the unstable DMO repo.

http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/ ... devede.php

Edit: Seems to run OK...

It will install directly into M11 using gdebi, but that's not guarantee that it will work. These Python programs don't do any automatic dependency generation; the packager needs to add the minimum dependency versions by hand. For example, you can probably install 3.17.0 into Debian Lenny with a backported python-support, and I can say for sure it won't run.

I wonder if backporting dvdauthor to get a newer spumux woud help.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#30 Post by lucky9 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:43 am

I'm using 3.17.0 here without discernible problems except it doesn't get a working DVD when using it.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Regulars”