-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

copy dvd to HD playable

Here is where users who have been using MEPIS awhile and know the basics of linux and MEPIS can ask questions.
Siles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

copy dvd to HD playable

#1 Post by Siles » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

I will be hospitalized at the end of the month for surgery and recovery. I am planning to take an Asus 1000HA or an Asus 1005HAB netbook with me. I need to copy several DVD movies to either HD, SDHC or memory stick so I can watch them in bed. Really do not want to take USB DVD player as it draws to much from battery.

Can this be done? I would need a step by step instruction. Running latest updated M11 with 1 or 2 GB memory and Atom N270 32 bit. Have pleanty of HD free space, at least 80 GB.

TIA for help.

Siles
Siles
Registered Mepis User 505527
Dell Precision M6400
16GB memory
MX16.1
Dell Inspiration 1720
4GB memory
MX16.1

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: copy dvd to HD playable

#2 Post by m_pav » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Simply make an iso image of the dvd with k9copy or k3b and use a regular media player to play it. K9copy will shrink a dvd9 (8.5GB) to a dvd5 (4.7GB), whereas K3b will make an exact copy, with the possibility of errors introduced through deliberate copy protection mechanisms. Both will need you to have libdvdcss2 installed before you do the rip.

Example, I want to do a public preview of a movie we intend to play at our church. Instead of relying on the optical drive which can sometimes be very slow to seek a track, I use k9copy or k3b to make an iso image of the DVD to my hard disk, then fire up vlc, or almost any media player on a linux machine and tell it to open a file, or vlc only in the lowly redmond based os, point it to the iso image and presto, the DVD menu comes up.

With a low power unit such as the Intel Atoms, I would recommend the k9copy route because smaller file means lower processing needs at the playback end. As an aside it may pay to experiment with what player works the best without pauses and lag on your atom, coupled with menu operations before you go. Example, some player will open the iso image fine, but the menu is largely unusable, others operate no differently to having a dvd in the drive, except much faster. I haven't found this to be much of an issue with M11, but M8.5, it certainly was.

Another angle you could try is to rip the dvd to a regular movie file format using handbrake, but I would absolutely not do this with an atom processor because it would take hours to complete the task and the end result would have very low quality output, whereas a regular CPU could take as little as 30 minutes with quite acceptable quality.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by GoManutd » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:12 pm

i've had the most success with k9copy. sometimes i've run into issues making copies of a dvd. sometimes it's the dvd, sometimes the dvd player... but k9copy, as m_pav suggests, really is the easiest/best way to go.

just use it on a non-atom computer to make the copy and THEN copy it over to your atom based computer. do not attempt to try and make a copy where the destination is a remote disk because it will take forever.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by lucky9 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Best Wishes Siles and a speedy recovery.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by GoManutd » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:06 pm

btw, in case you are going the iso file route. vlc will play dvd iso files.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by joany » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:19 pm

While k9copy will rip and encode most DVDs, some DVD suppliers have added a new wrinkle in an attempt to prevent that: They put in numerous titlesets to confuse k9copy and cause it to freeze. If you encounter that particular problem, you can use Handbrake to rip the DVD into MP4 or MKV format, which can be played by VLC and other players.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by GoManutd » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 pm

they pull all sorts of stuff. some discs won't even play on my one dvd player, while on my older dell they will. copy is the same, i sometimes have to try different computers - even if ALL of them have m11, so it's not necessarily an m11 thing.

handbrake is nice. i've used it to make mp4 copies of discs that i can then play on my playstation 3. it's not as easy as k9copy, but with a little practice it's fairly straightforward - hb just has more options to get confused by :)

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by lucky9 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

That may not still be true. I recently made a backup of a movie that appeared to be in that category without problems. I'm in the process of trying another movie that I had not been successful with to see if it can be done now. I'll try to get back with the results soon.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by joany » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

lucky9 wrote:That may not still be true. I recently made a backup of a movie that appeared to be in that category without problems. I'm in the process of trying another movie that I had not been successful with to see if it can be done now. I'll try to get back with the results soon.
Were changes made to k9copy that now enable it to deal with those "problem" DVDs?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Post by GoManutd » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:57 pm

the versions of k9copy that i've used you've been able to select the tilesets that you want to copy. at least for me, tileset selection hasn't been the issue with k9copy.

Return to “Regulars”