Package Installer - LTS NodeJS

onblm

Package Installer - LTS NodeJS

#1 Post by onblm »

Good day!

I was planning to install Node JS on my MX Linux so I went to the Node JS website and it is stated there that the latest LTS version is 10.15.3

I was searching this in the MX Package Installer but I found lower versions.

Stable REPO - NodeJS 4.8.2~dfsg-1
MX Test REPO - 8.9.4-1~mx17+1

So does this mean that I can only use the lower version of NodeJS in MXLinux? Going to MX Test Repo, I had this warning before loading the packages that installing from this repo might break the system. So are we suppose to get packages from the Stable Repo only? What if we need a higher version? So is MX Linux just for casual computing and not development?

Thanks! I'm really hoping this is not the case :crossfingers:

I am using MX Linux Continuum with AntiX 4.9 kernel.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Package Installer - LTS NodeJS

#2 Post by JayM »

The difference between the MX Stable repo and the MX Test repo is that Test is used as a kind of holding area for new apps or newer versions of apps that are in Stable. Apps in Test generally work just fine, they're just kept segregated from the ones in Stable awaiting more user feedback before being moved to Stable. If people report that they work just fine and no one reports problems, they get moved to Stable. So you're pretty much safe in installing apps from MX Test. Just don't enable the test repo in your MX Repo Manager and leave it enabloed, or it could potentially cause problems with updated. Just use MX Package Installer (MPI) to install an individual package from Test.

Also, :welcome: to the forum!
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

onblm

#3 Post by onblm »

JayM wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 am The difference between the MX Stable repo and the MX Test repo is that Test is used as a kind of holding area for new apps or newer versions of apps that are in Stable. Apps in Test generally work just fine, they're just kept segregated from the ones in Stable awaiting more user feedback before being moved to Stable. If people report that they work just fine and no one reports problems, they get moved to Stable. So you're pretty much safe in installing apps from MX Test. Just don't enable the test repo in your MX Repo Manager and leave it enabloed, or it could potentially cause problems with updated. Just use MX Package Installer (MPI) to install an individual package from Test.

First of all, thank you for welcoming me! :happy: I bumped into MX Linux and stopped the idea of distro hopping so I would be very sad if got an answer such as "MX is not for development so you better find yourself a new distro".

Ooooohh so that is the purpose of the MX Test Repo. Hmm so does that mean we can't go beyond what is in the stable and test repo? Is it something of a personal risk to take? And can you elaborate more on the MX Test Repo being enabled? How do I know if it is enabled or not? Thanks again! Obviously I am a noob about all this.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

onblm wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:20 am
JayM wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 am The difference between the MX Stable repo and the MX Test repo is that Test is used as a kind of holding area for new apps or newer versions of apps that are in Stable. Apps in Test generally work just fine, they're just kept segregated from the ones in Stable awaiting more user feedback before being moved to Stable. If people report that they work just fine and no one reports problems, they get moved to Stable. So you're pretty much safe in installing apps from MX Test. Just don't enable the test repo in your MX Repo Manager and leave it enabloed, or it could potentially cause problems with updated. Just use MX Package Installer (MPI) to install an individual package from Test.

First of all, thank you for welcoming me! :happy: I bumped into MX Linux and stopped the idea of distro hopping so I would be very sad if got an answer such as "MX is not for development so you better find yourself a new distro".

Ooooohh so that is the purpose of the MX Test Repo. Hmm so does that mean we can't go beyond what is in the stable and test repo? Is it something of a personal risk to take? And can you elaborate more on the MX Test Repo being enabled? How do I know if it is enabled or not? Thanks again! Obviously I am a noob about all this.
Test repo is not enabled by default.

We have a tab in Mx-PackageInstaller that accesses the test repo without you having to do anything. Once you select packages to install, MXPI will enable the test repo, install the packages, then disable the test repo, keeping things nice and tidy. You can do the same thing in synaptic manually, by checking the test repo repository in the synaptic settings and doing the reload of sources. but then we recommend that you disable test after you are done, and don't do any updates while test is enabled.

while we expect items in test to work, its called test for a reason (and no, its not the same as debian testing. all packages in our test repo are built for the current edition of MX/debian).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

onblm

#5 Post by onblm »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:46 am

We have a tab in Mx-PackageInstaller that accesses the test repo without you having to do anything. Once you select packages to install, MXPI will enable the test repo, install the packages, then disable the test repo, keeping things nice and tidy. You can do the same thing in synaptic manually, by checking the test repo repository in the synaptic settings and doing the reload of sources. but then we recommend that you disable test after you are done, and don't do any updates while test is enabled.

while we expect items in test to work, its called test for a reason (and no, its not the same as debian testing. all packages in our test repo are built for the current edition of MX/debian).
Thanks dolphin! I was watching your videos in youtube when I first installed MX Linux :)

Anyway, as the title suggests, my real question is are we just limited to what the MX Stable Repo and the MX Test Repo offers?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

onblm wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks dolphin! I was watching your videos in youtube when I first installed MX Linux :)

Anyway, as the title suggests, my real question is are we just limited to what the MX Stable Repo and the MX Test Repo offers?
if you can find packages from other sources that work on debian 9, you should be ok on MX.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

onblm

#7 Post by onblm »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 am
onblm wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 am

if you can find packages from other sources that work on debian 9, you should be ok on MX.
Oooh okay, is there any way to know if a certain package works in Debian 9? Or is this something done via trial and error?

baldyeti

#8 Post by baldyeti »

Debian stretch-backports has version 8.11 and is also available from MXPI.

According to this note you can add a repository from which to install the LTS release. They claim it is compatible (and presumably safe to use) with debian, but i have not tried myself.

skidoo

#9 Post by skidoo »

The ideal operating system for any "developer" who is hellbent on pursuing instant grabification by adding PPAs
and naively following point. click. grunt. curl | sudo bash... bendOverAndGrabYerAnkles instructions:
Skittles®
Mmmm, taste the rainbow !

skidoo

#10 Post by skidoo »

packages.debian.org
search shows that debian experimental repo has the latest nodejs release (released 18 days ago)
its build dependencies include "node-acorn-walk" which is unavailable from debian repositories.
I'm unsure the debian "0.1+20180428git4d467626-3" version of gyp satisifies the build-dep stated as "gyp (>= 0.1~svn1773)"
So does this mean that I can only use the lower version of NodeJS in MXLinux?
The honest, dispassionate, reply must be "yes, unless you are prepared to expend some extra-mile effort".
Neither MX Linux, nor debian itself, is geared toward supporting bleeeeding edge nodejs.

Return to “MX Repositories”