A European mirror for MX-14 / MEPIS 12 repositories

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: A European mirror for MX-14 / MEPIS 12 repositories

#31 Post by dolphin_oracle »

GuiGuy wrote:Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

I find this very confusing, and just wish everybody would stop using the word "stable" in connection
with Debian repositories.

well, that is ONE of the ways debian defines they repo. "stable" is always "stable". so if you were running debian proper and had "stable" instead of wheezy in your source definitions, this morning you probably updated to jessie-based stuff.

In this age of "rolling" distributions like arch, et. al., if easy to forget that debian is/can be a rolling distribution...it just rolls really really slowly (at least on the stable side).

from debian.org:

Upgrading Debian
Upgrades to Debian 8 from the previous release, Debian 7 (codenamed Wheezy), are automatically handled by the apt-get package management tool for most configurations. As always, Debian systems may be upgraded painlessly, in place, without any forced downtime, but it is strongly recommended to read the release notes as well as the installation guide for possible issues, and for detailed instructions on installing and upgrading. The release notes will be further improved and translated to additional languages in the weeks after the release.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

GuiGuy

#32 Post by GuiGuy »

I do understand all that, but for our repos can we not use the codename instead of "stable"?

Edit: Sorry if I am incorrect in thinking that antix.daveserver is "ours" - I suppose that is cheeky!

ko

#33 Post by ko »

Thanks for the speedy European Mirror. Things (reloads and downloads) occur pretty fast now.....;-)
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

Stevo
Developer

#34 Post by Stevo »

Will this page be updated? http://main.mepis-deb.org/

And is the choice of which server to use basically an Eastern/Western Hemisphere sort of thing, or should the Pacific Rim nations use the US server?

lucky9

#35 Post by lucky9 »

What's the name of the debian package that will test repository speeds and pick the fastest?
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Developer

#36 Post by kmathern »

lucky9 wrote:What's the name of the debian package that will test repository speeds and pick the fastest?
You might be thinking of apt-spy

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache show apt-spy
Package: apt-spy
Version: 3.2.2-1
Installed-Size: 101
Maintainer: Stefano Canepa <sc@linux.it>
Architecture: i386
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3), libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2)
Description-en: writes a sources.list file based on bandwidth tests
 Parses the list of mirrors downloaded from ftp.debian.org and then based on
 the region specified by the user each of testes mirrors for bandwidth, at the
 end it writes /etc/apt/sources.list.d/apt-spy.list using the best mirror it
 found out.
But I think it only finds the best Debian mirror to use, not mirrors of other repos.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#37 Post by Jerry3904 »

Will this page be updated? http://main.mepis-deb.org/
I have no access to that, but I believe Tim does though, since the current revision came from him within the last 6 months IIRC.
And is the choice of which server to use basically an Eastern/Western Hemisphere sort of thing, or should the Pacific Rim nations use the US server?
That was why I proposed at the beginning of this thread the idea of a "Servers" button on MX Tools, so users could easily switch to the better one--something that might vary from day to day for some locations.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

timkb4cq
Developer

#38 Post by timkb4cq »

Stevo wrote:Will this page be updated? http://main.mepis-deb.org/
Yes
Stevo wrote:And is the choice of which server to use basically an Eastern/Western Hemisphere sort of thing, or should the Pacific Rim nations use the US server?
That's kind of hard to tell. Theoretically the U.S server should be faster to the Pacific Rim - but those circuits can also be more congested. People outside Europe, North America, Western Asia and Northern Africa will just have to try each & see.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

anticapitalista
Developer

#39 Post by anticapitalista »

*bump*

Is the nl mirror up to date for MX and antiX?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

timkb4cq
Developer

#40 Post by timkb4cq »

Yes, indeed. It runs an automatic update at 4 minutes after each hour, and I check the logs every day that I update anything to make sure I have no download errors.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Return to “MX Repositories”