Systemback (Stevo for President!)

Stevo
Developer

Re: Systemback (Stevo for President!)

#21 Post by Stevo »

I'm getting a report that the menu entries don't launch a systemback GUI, that is, you don't get a root login dialog, or the message that something else has apt locked. Has anyone else seen this--I can't reproduce it.

Update:
Tim read the source code and found out why--it looks for a file in your /home called .Xauthority, and won't launch if missing. Rebuilt using gksu to get root authorization to get around this, should be in repos soon.
Last edited by Stevo on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

#22 Post by anticapitalista »

GuiGuy wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:It is in the live boot menu as ... wait for it ... drum roll etc

Command Line Install.
Thanks, Anti.
I was trying to run it from my installed system :footinmouth:

Edit:-
I am still confused: if I put the snapshot.iso onto a DVD and live-boot from it, it will not offer a gui installer but it will offer a CLI installer ?
As I said, there is only the cli-installer option at the moment.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

loco

#23 Post by loco »

Stevo wrote:I'm getting a report that the menu entries don't launch a systemback GUI, that is, you don't get a root login dialog, or the message that something else has apt locked. Has anyone else seen this--I can't reproduce it.
upp...

> removed text
Last edited by loco on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Wheezy squashfs is now using squashfs-xz by default, which allows for what was maybe 820-850 MB with the older compression to now fit in 700 MB. It's still amazing that there's all these programs plus LibreOffice on there--I remember when I first tried a 700 MB Ubuntu disc years and years ago, and there was almost nothing on it compared to the MEPIS at the time.

timkb4cq
Developer

#25 Post by timkb4cq »

Stevo wrote:I'm getting a report that the menu entries don't launch a systemback GUI, that is, you don't get a root login dialog, or the message that something else has apt locked. Has anyone else seen this--I can't reproduce it.
Tracked it down. If the ~/.Xauthority file is missing then Systemback exits with a popup saying it can't connect to the X-Server. It doesn't have to a correct .Xauthority file - there just has to be one. One of my machines nearly always fails to get one when it should at install time. Can't figure out why. Just oddball hardware I guess. Stevo fixed the debs anyway to eliminate that problem. If you have Synaptic open you will get the message that something has apt locked - because it's true.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

BitJam
Developer

#26 Post by BitJam »

The .Xauthority file should be created anew. It should not be distributed. This would be akin to giving everyone the same root password. The .Xauthority file contains some random data called a cookie that acts like a password to gain access to the X-server.

This is one of the main differences between xinit and startx. The startx program calls xinit but it first secures access to the X-server by setting up authorization. You can look in the startx script for a (perhaps poor) example of how to set up X authorization.

Stevo
Developer

#27 Post by Stevo »

OK...we aren't messing with that file, though. I just changed the .desktop launcher files for the GUI part of Systemback to use gksu to get root, instead of the method that is built into gambas3.

qtech

#28 Post by qtech »

Stevo wrote:OK...we aren't messing with that file, though. I just changed the .desktop launcher files for the GUI part of Systemback to use gksu to get root, instead of the method that is built into gambas3.
I wish I could be of some help to you but I got lazy and frustrated at some point and just threw the kitchen sink at it. I can say that both gtk and qt4 versions are fully functional. For what their worth, the commit logs are below.

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Fri Mar 21 23:18:14 2014

Installed the following packages:
systemback (0.7.7.501-1mcr120+1)
systemback-gtk (0.7.7.501-1mcr120+1)
systemback-gui (0.7.7.501-1mcr120+1)
systemback-gui-common (0.7.7.501-1mcr120+1)
systemback-qt4 (0.7.7.501-1mcr120+1)
unionfs-fuse (0.24-2.2)

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Fri Mar 21 23:29:54 2014

Installed the following packages:
gambas3-gb-gtk-opengl (3.5.2-1mcr120+1)
gambas3-gb-gui (3.5.2-1mcr120+1)
gambas3-gb-gui-opengl (3.5.2-1mcr120+1)
gambas3-gb-opengl (3.5.2-1mcr120+1)
gambas3-gb-qt4-opengl (3.5.2-1mcr120+1)
libgtkglext1 (1.2.0-2)

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

gambas3-gb-gui is the critical package that was missing. The new version will have that as a dependency.

m_pav
Developer

#30 Post by m_pav »

Isn't it just a whole lot easier to boot a Live-USB, set it up the way you want it, add/remove apps as you wish and then run the remastercc tool before you close off your live-session?

This remastercc creates an alternative antix/linuxfs file on your USB stick with the extension .new and it contains all your changes to the installed base, minus user settings unless you copy them to the /etc/skel folder.
When you next boot, the original antix/linuxfs file is renamed to /antix/linuxfs.old and the .new is removed from the fresh linuxfs file so it becomes the standard boot selection by becoming the /antix/linuxfs compressed file system loaded as the OS. When you're satisfied that all is well, you can just delete the original file now renamed linuxfs.old and have your own fully customised boot USB.

If you have a relatively small amount of RAM, simply fire up the System profiler and benchmark tool (hardinfo) and keep it on the summary screen, you'll see your RAM usage in real time and you can keep consuming RAM until you have about 50Mb remaining, then run the remastercc to lock in your changes. If you can't do enough in one hit because you have too little RAM, do it over several boots and you can opt to lose the oldest backup of the linuxfs file.

If you also include isomaster, you can take edit the original ISO to remove the original /antix/linuxfs file and replace it with your modified version, then save the whole thing as a new ISO file and viola, you have both a live-USB and a fresh Live-ISO image that can be burned to CD/DVD while retaining the grub boot prompts, cheatcodes and the improved MX installer, but your original ISO is untouched because you have a new one that you made yourself.

Doing it this way, no changes are made to the grub boot menu offered on the live-ISO, but the installed OS is whatever you have on the ISO or live-USB and it can be used with unetbootin or the antix2usb script because it's a regular ISO, albeit a bit larger because you've added to it.

I used this process to make a fully customised multimedia ISO from RC2. I saved a new ISO of this build which measured 1.5GB and created a Live-USB using the new ISO. It starts like RC2 but it is better suited to media production, and it includes all the updates up to the point of running the remastercc. It installs perfectly using the MX installer.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Return to “MX Repositories”