Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Proper way to install/update from community repos

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Proper way to install/update from community repos

#1 Postby Fargo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 pm

What is the proper way to install and/or update software from the community repos? Once the 'cr' repo is selected and 'Reloaded', should I 'Mark all Upgrades' and 'Apply' all current updates prior to installing any software from the CR repo? Or is it better to just select the programs that I want installed or updated and let Synaptic find the required updates?

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Proper way to install/update from community repos

#2 Postby timkb4cq » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:29 pm

The latter. Just select the program to install - Synaptic will get the dependencies for you.
This is especially true if you are installing a package from the testing CR.
BTW, some testing CR packages will need dependencies from the main CR so it's a good idea to enable both if you are installing something from testing. Make sure to disable the testing CR before doing any regular updates.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby Fargo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Oops. I've been updating everything from the CR repos. I guess I should have asked before I did it. But so far no problems. However, in the future I will only install or update the programs I want updated and then I will de-select the CR repo again. It might be a good idea to make this a sticky so others know the best method of updating from the Community Repos.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby kmathern » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Fargo wrote:Oops. I've been updating everything from the CR repos. I guess I should have asked before I did it. But so far no problems. However, in the future I will only install or update the programs I want updated and then I will de-select the CR repo again. It might be a good idea to make this a sticky so others know the best method of updating from the Community Repos.

It's in the wiki: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Community_Repository#Test_Repository_Notes

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby Fargo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:10 pm

kmathern wrote:
Fargo wrote:Oops. I've been updating everything from the CR repos. I guess I should have asked before I did it. But so far no problems. However, in the future I will only install or update the programs I want updated and then I will de-select the CR repo again. It might be a good idea to make this a sticky so others know the best method of updating from the Community Repos.

It's in the wiki: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Community_Repository#Test_Repository_Notes

Hmm, I must be blind. I read the wiki and I still didn't see the instructions for using the CR repo. I saw the CR Test repo was to only be used for testing, but I didn't see anything about how to use the Main CR repo.

In the past, I had thought this could be selected along with the Debian and Main Mepis repos and remain selected at all times. But from what I am hearing now, it should only be used to download specific programs and then be de-selected. Thanks for clarifying.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby lucky9 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 pm

I've rarely had a problem with using the main CR all the time. Matter of fact I can't remember ever having one. If you mix debian backports and/or debian multimedia with it, then you can have problems.

It's not recommended for most, but I've run with the CR Testing repositories enabled all the time. There is rarely a problem, but that's why they call it testing. So that everything in the main CR is vetted as working the way it should.

But after all's said, you're dead-bang reliable when using the as shipped default repositories. In that case, for some multimedia items you may need to enable the debian multimedia repository. (it's shipped disabled for legal reasons)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby kmathern » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 pm

lucky9 wrote:I've rarely had a problem with using the main CR all the time. Matter of fact I can't remember ever having one. If you mix debian backports and/or debian multimedia with it, then you can have problems.

It's not recommended for most, but I've run with the CR Testing repositories enabled all the time. There is rarely a problem, but that's why they call it testing. So that everything in the main CR is vetted as working the way it should.

But after all's said, you're dead-bang reliable when using the as shipped default repositories. In that case, for some multimedia items you may need to enable the debian multimedia repository. (it's shipped disabled for legal reasons)

I go along with the recommendation in the wiki to just install packages as needed from the testrepo, but not general upgrades. Recall this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31902, where the o.p. had been doing regular upgrades for some time with the testrepo enabled, but eventually got bit by that.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby lucky9 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:02 pm

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing any differently at this time for sure. In the past it was doable. I was one who got bit the second time. Only thing I lost was some time. Not a bad learning experience at all. But my interest in reliability was enhanced. And I was reading every post! What a mind!
At least I could've said I'd replicated said problem/s.

Time for my nap. Past time.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby Stevo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

Yes, but we switched those massive KDE upgrades to their own repo now. I still update everything from the test repo as a matter of testing, but if I ever get some error message about it removing all of KDE, rest assured I'm not going to say "go ahead!"

For a production-critical system, only install from the main CR. For the average user, using the test repo shoud be safe enough with a little caution.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby Fargo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:34 am

Stevo wrote:Yes, but we switched those massive KDE upgrades to their own repo now. I still update everything from the test repo as a matter of testing, but if I ever get some error message about it removing all of KDE, rest assured I'm not going to say "go ahead!"

For a production-critical system, only install from the main CR. For the average user, using the test repo shoud be safe enough with a little caution.

So for a production-critical system, would you update from the "Main CR" or just install the packages you need?

Return to “Community Repository (CR)”