Install MX on ZFS at live session

masterpeace

Install MX on ZFS at live session

#1 Post by masterpeace »

I wonder if it is possible to install MX on ZFS , i mean on live session i couldn't find ZFS on gParted but is it possible ?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Install MX on ZFS at live session

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

masterpeace wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 am is it possible ?
Yes, of course it is :-)

First install MX to a spare hard drive (or USB stick if you have a fast one) using an alternative filesystem then follow this guide to set up a ZFS pool from the live environment:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/ ... oot-on-ZFS

But for section 3.4 ("Install the minimal system") instead of using debootstrap mount the spare hard drive (replace X & Y with the drive letter & partition number):

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /spare
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /spare
Then copy the system on the spare hard drive over using rsync, like this:

Code: Select all

sudo rsync -aAXv -exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} /spare/ /mnt ; sync
^ The trailing slash after /spare/ ← is very important, do not omit it.

Then follow the rest of the guide.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

masterpeace

#3 Post by masterpeace »

:happy: Thanks , it seems i need to learn more about ZFS . It seems ZFS doesn't work like conventional file system i known for all my life ...

extra question :

1. or can i install them via openZFS on MX Stable Repo ? or should i do it via terminal like instructed ?

2. after ZFS installation , should i separate root and home in case of need to upgrade ? after all i can simply make backup mirror pool in case shyt happens or should i separate it regardless ?

3. can i make bootable snapshot of the system ? or make a bootable live medium respin ?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

masterpeace wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:00 am or can i install them via openZFS on MX Stable Repo ? or should i do it via terminal like instructed ?
The MX repositories have versions of the ZFS packages to match their kernel so you should use those, APT will prefer them anyway because they are newer.
masterpeace wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:00 am after ZFS installation , should i separate root and home in case of need to upgrade ? after all i can simply make backup mirror pool in case shyt happens or should i separate it regardless ?
The linked guide separates /home & the root partition anyway.
masterpeace wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:00 am can i make bootable snapshot of the system ? or make a bootable live medium respin ?
I'm not sure about the respin but for snapshots try zfsnap.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Return to “General”